advice on which boat to build

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jman65
New Poster
New Poster

advice on which boat to build

Post by jman65 »

Hi all , first time poster but I've been lurking for a while now. I have finally decided to take the plunge and build a boat. After posting on some other sites (woodenboat and the hulltruth) I have ended up here trying to decide on a bateau plan. My requirements for the boat are as follows.
1)With the purchase of a travel trailer I can no longer take my 18' bowrider on vacation. I need a "small" light boat that I can put on my truck racks. With the help of a winch and bunk system I can put a larger boat than what most people consider cartop up there. However with towing a trailer weght is always an issue. 200 to 300 # is a max .
2) The boat will be used to fish and cruise mainly lakes and rivers however a few times a year I would like to take it out onto big water, long island sound , chesapeake bay and nearshore fishing along the Rhode Island coast. As always when in a small boat on big water it would be on nice days with one eye on the weather.The fishing in the ocean is within a mile of shore. A boat I can beach if necessary would be great.
3) I would like the boat to move along well with a small motor and be able to be rowed in a pinch. A dry ride is a plus as my wife does not appreciate the spray the way the kids used to. I dont mind slowing down in a chop so aflat bottom is ok . Stability and being "seaworthy" are more important then speed.
4) easy build. This will be my first boat build. I am a carpenter and cabinet maker,with some experience using epoxy and fiberglass. I would like to use the boat this summer. It will be a work / fishing boat. A perfect finish is not necessary. This is a usefull learning boat not my dream boat build.
When posting this on other sites several people recomended bateau boats. I had already been considering the fast skiff 14 , and a flat bottom dory style from another designer. Some recomended the gf boats by bateau. One poster said he built the gf12 for flounder fishing and took it far out into the bays and around the keys . He said it was similar to the carolina dory , very seaworthy and the biggest 12' boat he has been in. Another said he uses his gf in port royal and down to the coast in south carolina . Are these boats deep enough to use them as i wish?
I love the designes of bateau boats . So the question is for you who have built them and used them which boat is for me?
thanks

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: advice on which boat to build

Post by Southern Gent »

Jaman65, First Welcome. When you start towing a Camper you do restrict your options for Trailering Boats. We see 3 units tows in the south but I don't know if that is even legal in NY State. You and your wife are great candidates for kayaks if she likes a bit of exercise or maybe a tandem Kayak.

I choose a Truck Camper by Four Wheel Campers so I could always tow the boat trailer. It's bare bones but I love it.

Best wishes in your search. Bill

jman65
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jman65 »

Bill , we have a canoe this boat will be used more for fishing and cruising about under power. With my winch and bunks I would have no trouble loading a boat the size of the gf 14 or 16 on my truck racks.

JerryF
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JerryF »

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=11827
Here is a link to a picture (in my gallery) that shows the way I took a boat, boat trailer and travel trailer at the same time. The boat is the GV11 lengthened to 12 ft. The GV11 is a very roomy boat for it's size and it's fast with moderate power. Even though it is V bottom, it is easy to build and can be built well within in the weight range you are considering.
JerryF
GV11+ G3

jman65
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jman65 »

Nice , my bunks and winch work similarly . Winch lowers bunks and boat to waters edge . No trailer.

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

IMHO: A V-bottom is much more seaworthy than a flat bottom due to its' ability to rock. For example, if you're trolling north in an east wind, swells will be striking the boat on the starboard side. As each swell approaches, the boat will rock to port, presenting more freeboard to the swell. You'll be less likely to have water sloshing over the top of the gun'l into the boat.

The V-hull will also ride better and drier.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Welcome to the forum, Jim. I got your email but am replying here.

The GF designs are great for what you want, and meets all of your criteria. They are very versatile and probably the most boat for the money and effort that you can build. They are simple, light and extremely stable. Very deep sides for a jon boat. I've had my GF16 several miles offshore a few times. Used it for fishing, crabbing, shrimping and hunting in GA and SC. Florida too :D They ride good in a chop and are dry in reasonable weather conditions. I've built 3 of them, 2 GF12s and a GF16. The GF16 was the first and it only took 90 days start to finish.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jman65
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jman65 »

Thanks for your reply Larry, I was leaning toward a dory design for depth when someone at The hull truth turned me onto the gf boats. Im glad to hear your confirmation of what they said . I was leery when I saw they were john boats. I am now strongly leaning towards the gf 16 or gf 14 .How deep are they at the bow and stern. Can I add to the hieght without affecting the stability and overall performance of the boat. Thanks again

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

A dory would be great, I love my OD18 :D But I sure would hate to car top it, at 1,200 pounds 8O And you couldn't build it before summer is over.

The sides on the GFs are about 21" and plenty high enough. You wouldn't want to raise them and don't need to. Another forum member and I tried to sink my GF16 and couldn't do it. He weighed about 300 and I weighed 190. Both of us standing on one rubrail couldn't get it under the water. Plus it would look fugly!

This is a GF12, it's mighty deep for a 12' boat. Compare the sides to the 18 center console behind it..

The GF16 has the same side height as the GF12.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

And don't forget the FS 14. Good seaworthy boat, v-hull, and a tad bit wider. Both would still be very light if built very basic (both come in under 200lbs).