Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by Mikem59 »

The lease is just north of Lometa, Tx, which in turn is north of Lampasas. I've been out to the lease 3 times, beautiful out there. Although my passion is fishing, I can see right now, I'm going to enjoy this deer lease.

And, making just a little more progress on the build. I bought the CNC standard sheer,rounded chine kit. Glad I bought the CNC kit for my first build, I'd be a long way from getting ready to glue the stringers and transom pieces.

I got all the pieces separated from the "puzzle" and cleaned up the edges. I do have a question, for the stringer laminations, isn't one side supposed to be slightly shorter to account for the hull shape?

Also, got to trim the middle transom sheet, it for some reason is slightly larger on all sides. I'll get that trimmed this week and I'll get it glued together. I'll probably use the dowel method to make sure the pieces align. I can see right now trying align without them could be difficult.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

The stringers are supposed to be square on the bottom. There isn't much V in this hull and all gaps are filled with the fillet, same thing on the transom.

Dowels are a good idea when glueing up just about every lamination. The epoxy glue you are going to make is slicker than owl snot!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Thanks for the input, I feel better about the stringers now. I'm at that stage where I want to be sure before I take that step to start gluing stuff together. And, I'm glad I bought a trial epoxy kit, That gave me a chance to make some glue. Amazing stuff.

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

How about some pics... I'd like to see that cnc kit come together. For me schedule was another reason, besides $, to cut the panels out my self. It only took 1 day, but I did have some issues, transom redux and couple gaps here and there. I'm using bayport bobs baseline of 160 hours to get the boat ready for paint, and feel like I'm tracking pretty close. I also am shooting to be done by sept 1. My buddy Paul, aka double up, said it was doable by planning your tasks where you knock out the small items that hold you up for curing time during the week, and put in power sessions on the weekends. That said, listen to these more experienced and trust what they say. I'm also on my first build and they are keeping me lined out.

Good luck, Being from Nederland, sounds like you'll be fishing the other Port A.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Yes I need to get some pics uploaded. Not a whole lot for me to show, but I did take lots of pics of the CNC kit as received. Itis nested differently than the standard nesting drawing. I'll make time in the next 2 days to get the pictures uploaded to the builders gallery and then attached to my posts.

And yes, I'll be fishing the other Port A. There's some really great marsh around here to fish as well as Calcasieu.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

I'm probably getting worked up over nothing since this is a "stitch and glue" but when measuring and marking for center lines on the molds some molds widths are off by as much as a 1/2". Could be the difference between the CNC kit versus the original plans or that this kit was for rounded chine standard sheer. Also the middle transom section is 1/4" wider and 3/8" taller. Tell me I'm worried about nothing and just move on.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Not sure what to tell ya. Hopefully Jacques or Shine will see this. I would say say post a question in PowerBoats but I kinda got my hand slapped for suggesting cross posting...
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I have never used a CNC kit so not sure about that. With your transom, put the widest piece in the front, narrowest in the rear. The boat is tapered so the transom is widest forward. 1/2 error isn't much for S&G. I'd split the difference and move on, it isn't critical.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

The widest piece happens to be the one that has a notch in it due to the nesting for the front deck. The plans call for filling that in with a scrap piece and sandwiching this between the other pieces. Also the inner transom piece is notched to receive the transom knees and stringer. But what you say about the width is certainly right, I'll need to double check the measurements on the other pieces and see if I can factor that in. Thanks

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Going to take a crack at posting a pic. This is of the strong back. Modeled somewhat after Cracker Larry's. if this pic post works. I'll begin posting more.
[img]http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... fullsize=1[/img