Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by Cracker Larry »

The transom is plenty strong enough as designed. I would leave it at 20" and use the jack plate to adjust the engine height.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Thanks and yeah I agree I will leave the transom at 20". I looked at a boat today with a jack plate and a 40 hp and see that it should be a relatively simple and the transom should be plenty strong as mentioned. As much as I would like a short shaft motor, I'm not really sacrificing much in the way of added weight.

Sure wish I had started this build months ago so I'd have another boat to fall back on. My Blue Wave is out of commission, due to a little incident with some rocks resulting in a bent prop shaft, and minor hull damage. Glad I still have boat insurance.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Got an opportunity to get in some work tonight and I must say it felt good to make this step. Got the frames and molds loosely fitted on the strongback. Had to do some minor trimming of the slots to get the stringers and molds "married" up, but all in all no issues there. The only question I have is with the transom knees. When I dry fitted/clamped the knees to the stringers, they don't rest flush on the strongback, they are 1" below the strongback. Obviously, the stringers can be raised up so that they will be flush, but they won't be resting on the molds - is that ok? I suspect it is as I believe the stringers should be flush with the top frames and molds as they sit on the strongback. But before I square everything up and secure everything to begin the planking, I want to be sure that is correct.

I'll post pics when I get to my pc.

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

I built the FS18 with the deck upside down on the strong back and when I clamped on the knees, the tops of the knees rested on top of the deck and lined up without any issues. This would be best for Shine to answer since it's a CNC package.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Here are some photos of my latest progress, loose fitting of frames/molds on the strongback. I've stayed with my original height of the strongback. Hopefully, I won't regret that decision. Once I flip the hull, I'll look at lowering to accommodate the interior work.

Here's a view from the transom end. I suspect you experienced builders will see some issues with my strongback.

Yep, the support legs need to be on the inside to allow for the transom to sit properly to fir up the stringers and knees; and, with my strongback narrower than the builder notes, the knees will not rest on the strongback. Both will be easy fixes.

And, as you can see, the knees are sitting 1" below the strongback. It appears that if I lift the stingers to have the knees rest flush, the stringers will be flush with the frames/molds as well.

Once I finish up with a mini-church retreat Saturday afternoon, I plan on getting in some time over the rest of the weekend. Hope to center/square up everything to secure and prep for the hull planking.

I know one thing, I'm enjoying the heck out of this. :D

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

:D It is fun ain't it!?! :D :D

I can see in you pictures that the notches are deeper than they need to be. Just shim them up to flush with the frames and you will be good to go. Everything looks good. Get it all square, level, flush and plumb and there aint much that can go wrong! :D

Wish I had had a bow mold...
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Thanks Mike for the confirmation that all I need to do is shim up to get the stringers flush with the frames.

As for the bow mold, I would suspect that it will be very helpful. Looking forward to getting everything squared up and moving on to the next step.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Guys, I have what may be a dumb question, when joining the hull panels, do you do one side at a time? If not what's the trick to doing both sides in one session? Ive gone through some of the other builds and its not clear to me how this is done. Thanks Mike

Will post some pics soon but have finally got everything square, plumb, and secured on the strongback and ready for hull planking.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Lay the bottom panels on the jig first with them loosely stitched down the middle. Then loosely stitch one side panel onto the bottom, then the other one. With all panels hanging loose, start tightening the stitches a little at a time, working evenly around the boat.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

CL. Thanks for your reply. And, I realized after I posted my question I had poorly phrased it. My question revolves around joining, gluing, and glassing together the individual hull panels. Maybe i should say splice together the hull panels. I have not yet joined/spliced the individual hull bottom or side panels as yet. Hope that is more clear. Thanks