willg's PH18 - "Yepper" launched 6/11/17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: willg's PH18

Post by willg »

Tobolamr, thanks.

I believe in measuring multiple times before cutting but, yes, I have made plenty of mistakes before despite that. I remeasured all the bulkheads while they were up on the strongback and they are nuts-on accurate. The stringers required tracing full patterns for the tips and melding them with the straighter aft portions. I think there's a decent chance that's where my error occurred. Also, I was cutting the stringers with a somewhat cheesy jigsaw. Fortunately, that jigsaw broke and I replaced it with a much nicer model and used the new saw to cut the bulkheads and bottom/side panels. I stacked the panels and cut them together for symmetry and like the way they turned out. Another potential reason for offset b/w the stringers and bulkhead A is that my stand is out of level but it holds up to scrutiny. I have more faith that the bulkheads are true to plans than the stringer tips, so that is why I'd consider planing the stringers down some. I'll do some more head scratching and thinking before any action is taken.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

After checking and rechecking I could not find a measurement error. I drew out a new inner stringer from scratch on paper I had taped together, placed it over a stringer laid on the floor and it matches. So I planed down the hull side of the stringer. I figure it will turn out OK if I need to do some build up after the flip.

Today was a good day. I now have what is undeniably a boat in my garage! I was pleased with how things turned out. I have some tweaking to do. I also think I will release the transom from the supports I have fixed to the strongback and allow it to float as I tie it into the panels. My 14 yo says his favorite part of the assembly is how all 4 pieces came together at the bow. I like that too. It doesn't show in the pictures but there is a slight camber to the bottom panels aftward. I can correct that with shims b/w the bulkheads and panels to make them dead flat like they're supposed to be.

I will cut back the few spots where the panel edges are touching. Otherwise, the edges have enough gap for a finish nail. I was expecting to see a little more space to place fillet material than what I have. With everything lining up so well, at least to me on my first go-round with this, I'm reluctant to monkey around too much with it. Will these small gaps hold enough fillet to keep the structure together?

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Alright, this picture uploading is making me a little nutty. Just like in the previously mentioned video, when I hit Builders Galleries, then Upload File, I do not get the window seen in the video. Instead I get the window to browse photos to place them in my gallery. If I'm in my gallery, right click on a photo I want to post, copy the URL, highlight and hit [img], what comes out are these thumbnail photos you see above. If I open the picture in my gallery, save and paste that URL in my reply, I get the "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" error and my pictures do not post. It's the same with Internet Explorer and Chrome. Anybody have a suggestion? Also, I cannot upload even the thumbnails except one at a time, saving messages and having to visit my gallery each time. I know there's a better way, I just don't know what is is.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

I got it. Even a blind pig ...

My 9 yo passing zip ties from below.
14 yo helping with assembly

If anybody has a comment on my panel gap/fillet question above I 'd be grateful.
Last edited by willg on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Looks great! The gaps are perfect, finishing nail is just right.

Must be nice to have your own labor pool 8) Maybe I should adopt a couple of younguns.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Cracker Larry wrote:Maybe I should adopt a couple of younguns.
I could send my oldest 2 down to help you... 10 and 7... or my 15 year old nephew could get shipped down to you...

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

The labor pool is fun to have. They are excited about the boat build.

Thanks for the feedback. The panels at the keel aftwards are nearly butt-jointed because of the low deadrise. When it's time to fillet should I just squish some into that gap or would it make sense to rout a shallow V into that joint to increase the surface area? Perhaps I'm worrying about the fillets' role in this step too much.
Last edited by willg on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Nice black drum 8)

As long as you have a gap, just squish some glue in it. Before you start that, get your child labor pool under the boat and tape the inside of all the seams with wide masking tape. This will hold the glue in the joints and keep it from running all over the inside of the boat. Saves a lot of sanding later.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

After some final adjustments I filleted the panel joints on Monday. I'll take out the zip ties later this week and complete the filleting. Some lessons I learned in the process:

1. I used EZ-Fillet, and it was great to work with.

2. I used a couple of pastry bags at first, but then used quart zip-locs. I preferred the zip-locs for the smaller batches and piping it into these small gaps. When it comes time to making the inside fillets I will probably use the pastry bags again because the opening can be cut at whatever diameter you want.

3. I made up too much volume for my second batch. It got hot as hell and gelled up in my pastry bag. It was a much better experience to make smaller batches and not be rushed.

For measuring my epoxy and EZ-Fillet I bought a 500gm electronic scale. Rather than worrying about measuring specific volumes, I can put any quantity of Part A in at first, multiply that weight by 1.44, then add enough B until I get to the final weight. I keep a small calculator next to the scale. It's made the mixing very easy.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

I have sanded down my chine/keel seams to what I think will be a good angle for glassing. Thanks, Cracker Larry, for your help. I now have the hull marked out for glassing. I think the lamination schedule in my plans should be more plainly worded, but what I plan to do is based on what I think others have done. I will run 2 staggered 6" tapes along the keel, run a single 6" tape along each chine, stagger 2 layers of tape at the transom and overlap each side's biaxial cloth 6" to the other side of the keel. If anyone would like to chime in and offer suggestions I would welcome it.

I suppose now's the best time to decide whether to prepare for a shoot-through transducer. As long as it's out of the way of the single strake I plan to install on each side, does it matter in which stringer box I place the transducer? That is, between the keel and inside stringer, between the two stringers or between the outside stringer and the chine? I plan on making a reverse chine, if that impacts anyone's advice.

Will

Last edited by willg on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.