V12 Light Step

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: V12 Light Step

Post by sds »

Just browsing through. Strong, critical post laszlo. That's a good thing.

Sometimes the real friend is the one who refuses to hold the beer. 8)
Last edited by sds on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: V12 Light Step

Post by ks8 »

Excellent synopsis and recommendations. Thank you for posting it on this thread. Wise words that any builder of a V12 would do well to hear and consider. :D

It helps me re-assess stock features and performance compared to what I am willing to sacrifice in order to achieve alternate features and performance. I am well pleased with the overall results of what I did to my CV16. I achieved almost all the goals I had in mind for it, and it did not come close to suffering according to the dire predictions of some of stability loss -- a very forgiving design indeed. :)

I am reminded by your posting to consider that the V12 is 2.4 feet shorter than the CV16, and although the waterline length is almost the same, the CV16 has much more reserve buoyancy in the hull shape presented to the water. However, I want the v12 to be a little (or at times alot) wetter, a water toy for the very hot summer, and yet if utterly swamped, to easily lift right back up onto her lines with near instantaneous draining. I'm fairly confident that I can get transom panels to be close to watertight for a near 'stock' dry ride that you enjoy, when desired. When I start the project in earnest, I will first post sketches of the planned changes, and will welcome all thoughts, suggestions, cautions and warnings then and now. :D No bright work this time ... probably... :lol: