Wade's GV10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Wade's GV10

Post by tcason »

adding the exterior gunwales really "stiffen up" my Garvey 13 sides - I would add these and re-evaluate - before doing anything too "drastic".

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I've been doing some work, although not posting as regularly. here's some pictures:
I added some small strips along the stern face of the upright for the seat attatchments. I did this because they will be seeing a lot of the torque if someone sits on the front edge of the seat - a twisting moment on the seat.
I did this because I put triangular supports to further support the seat when its being sat on:
I then put cleats on the supports, as you can see in the top picture on the far side of the upright frame.
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I cut out the anchor locker hole, then thought that maybe the remaining plywood there was a little too small to support someone sitting on it, so I installed reinforcement plywood stripps (looking from front down in the anchor locker):
Then got the seats glued down:

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

kinda messed up when reading the plans for the transom - that is why there is a 'pad' of 3/8" plywood where the motor will go. I used two 3/8" strip of 6" plywood to reinforce the transom. That's a deviation from the plans, which call for 1"x6" dimensional lumber. However, should still be at least as strong. My engineer wife says 1" nominal is 3/4" anyways, and so I have 3/4" of plywood instead.
still have some trimming to do.
Now getting the bottom stiffeners tack welded in:

And that's where I'm at so far!
wade

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Seats look strong, probably you can breed elephants on those 8) 8)

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Yeah, the seats may be a little overboard. However, I will be confident while bouncing through waves with 2 people on a seat. I'm hoping to do some cool stuff on this boat - multiple overnights camping, duck hunting, transporting in the bed of a truck, maybe eventually flipping it on its side on the transom of a larger boat. We'll see. Still figuring out which method to do for the foam flotation - mix and pour, or buy pre-made sheets and cutting to size.
Anyone actually bought pre-made sheets and glued them in place under the seats on one of these boats?
wade

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Looking good Wade. You've been busy on her. 8)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I have used extruded polystyrene under the seats. If you fit it tightly you don't need the seat extra supports...

You can just paint it or you can cover it with a layer of light cloth - 4 oz of so.

How big /type a motor are you planning to fit? The reason I spec a wood board across the transom and not plywood is all the fibers in a board work in the direction I want it to resist transom bending. Plywood has a lot of fibers going up/down in a transom board and they don't help with resisting bending.

Your plywood reinforced transom is _probably_ OK as built, but if you're going to fit a heavy 4 stroke 15 HP motor see if you can fit another layer of solid wood (depends if the outboard clamps open wide enough)
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Gotcha - I get what your saying about the direction of wood fibers.

I am planning on installing a 10 hp 4-stroke engine, but it's a heavy one - I think it's 108 lbs. It's a Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot longshaft with electric start and alternator. (I already have the motor - it is a kicker on another boat).
I'll check the outboard clamp openings and see if more thickness of wood will clear. Is is needed for the above motor?
Or - could I install a layer of plywood the same 6" height on the interior face (the forward face) of the transom - from the transom "knees" outboard to the sheer, and glass that in? I'd rather not, but that would also stop the bending, I think. I don't think I have full-width plywood left for another thickness all the way across the outside.
wade

(thanks for looking so closely)
PS.... I also have or am going to glass the exterior of everything including the transom inside and out.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

If you're going to glass the transom you can skip additional reinforcement.

Unless something cracks :)
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24