Penny HMD19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Penny HMD19

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fair winds and following seas..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Take some pics of the launch and underway. We love to see them.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Penny is splashed 8) :D
See launch section

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

A few things I would have done differently with the build now that I'm spending some time sailing :D

After sailing season, the 40 lbs AGM battery and main switch will be relocated from the port aft locker to under the port seat in cabin for better weight distribution. New longer 4 AWG x 12 feet battery cable etc.. As it is, the battery, main switch and main fuse are in the worst possible space to access. The (original) underseat cooler will have to go to accomodate this change.

Marc

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Hello Marc. If you get a chance, would you mind posting more pictures of Penny with the bimini up. Looking at putting one on my boat. Any info on it would be much appreciated as well.
Doug

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

No problem Doug
I can do this evening

I got it from Cabela's (the smaller 3 tube vs 4 tubes)

Easy to install... my wife loves it but I am so-so with it. I find it is more difficult to get onboard with the tubing in the way if stowed against the cabin.

Sometimes I leave it in the down position and it clears the outboard

Marc

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Doug N wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:48 pm Hello Marc. If you get a chance, would you mind posting more pictures of Penny with the bimini up. Looking at putting one on my boat. Any info on it would be much appreciated as well.
Doug
Doug, I just posted some pics of my Bimini on my HMD and a link to it on Amazon:

viewtopic.php?p=503074#p503074

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Well, after a short season, Penny is out of the water. I had to rely on a neighbor to truck it out so my time was limited with the dock to remove; it is getting cool.

It was a blast to get acquainted with her, she rides so comfortably. Great design, Evan 8) I posted a few performance figures on the launch page but to recap here; 5200 rpm WOT yields 7.25 mph and I must have a good 12 hours on the engine now. Winterizing is coming up and she needs a good soapy wash in the meantime.

One of many but I hope I get the "expert" label :lol:
I can help out or offer any tips for other HMD19 builders to be.

Glad everyone is doing OK.
Marc

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I think you have well deserved the Expert label. :D One thing I did not catch in your launch information but caught here is the 5200 max rpm's you are reaching. I am not sure what exactly which Merc you have on Penny, but all the new 4st's have a 6000 top rpm range and you are lugging your motor. If you do go down 3 pitch levels from what you have now. If you have an older 2st that i believe has a 5500rpm top end, go down 1-2 pitch levels. Lugging an engine is the worst thing you can do for a marine engine. Your speeds won't change much as the prop is spinning faster and the diameter is the same. But it will sure help your motor last longer.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Tom,

Merc new when bought 2013 four stroke Pro Kicker 9.9 xl shaft with the stock four blade prop 10x7.

I hit 6000 few times but now it wont wind any higher. And occasionally, the engine revs up momentarilly to 6000..then back to 5200 (that was in another post Re ventilation). It sounds like it wanted to rev higher for a sec but it slips. I usually cruise at 4200 or so. It just seems it cannot reach its full potential. Also cruise trimmed full down. Do I need to do something different like a prop ?

It is properly broken in as well.

It is weedy and i make sure to reverse one in a while to clean things up.

That said I do not know the dynamics of lugging an engine.. can you explain ? I dont want to blow that engine so early on.

What gives ?
Marc