Penny HMD19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Penny HMD19

Post by glossieblack »

Nice work on a very nice boat. Bet you're looking forward to cruising next summer. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

I have not worked much on Penny last year due to busy life but am going ramming speed on her this year.

The outboard has been mounted and the electrical system triple checked which fired up good without smoke or fire :D. My battery is a dual purpose AGM Group 21. Did mostly outfitting this year - bimini top as a wife required accessory, mounted a retractable sonar transducer on the transom (previously fitted in the hull but relocated it), added two more cleats, touched up a few areas including Kiwi Grip, cut and fitted the removable Lexan window, the vinyl side windows and some cushions are being made now, did some trailer work and other bits and pieces.

Decided to buy a prop shroud which is supposed to aid in directional control so will install it shortly.
https://unclenormsmarineproducts.com/co ... olling-fin

For Cowbro - I read your last post about lack of visibility at the bow. I had the same issue so I installed a removable "staff" to give me a better gauge of where the bow is and it works like charm. Cheap to do and provides tons of safety.

At the end of this season, I will likely pre-launch her to break-in the engine at the marina and check everything. Also to get good feel of her handling when I hit the choppier parts of the river later on. Next spring will be the official christening and launching 8) :D. Even though not required for a 9.9.HP boat to be licensed in Canada, I applied for one regardless so putting the numbers on the bow will be sweet.

8 years to build and finally the end is in sight. Done with spending :lol: (but never really done).

Will post when she's in the water. Thanks again for the feed back on the transom saver; you can see what my issue is.

Keep building guys. Stand by, Doug N and Cowbro.
Marc

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Awesome! I don't know how you can resist launching it already! It looks ready to go to me.

Which size bimini did you go for? Do you have standing headroom under it?

I am thinking that will probably be the next big expense I'll be able to talk the wife into.

For the directional control, IMO, the boat steers just fine with nothing fancy added to the outboard. Reversing can get a little unwieldy, but approaching the dock is not a problem. The biggest hindrance is the relative light weight to large windage. A slight breeze will really blow it around at low speeds.

Phil

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Boat is sexy as all getout.

Not sure I love the bimini. I might have opted for something that live on the roof. But they are so hard to do.

But everything else about it is super hot. I could see taking that boat fishing and camping onboard.

Best of luck.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Cowbro, fallguy 1000,

Bimini;
I was not sold on the bimini at first but my wife suggested to make it more comfy in the blazing sun. It is totally removable (i.e. off the boat altogether) so it really is no big deal. When folded up, I let it lean on the cabin top or folded down as in the photo. Fully deployed, it destroys the boat's line for sure, looking like a half-ass arrangement but it serves the purpose. Needless to say, it won't be deployed when underway :lol: to be used only when tucked away in a bay during lunch time. It is the shorter version from Cabela's for $200, covers aft of the cabin right up to the transom and....(being a semi-midget 5'-6") no head room problem for us 8). Actually this boat size is perfect for us both.

Outboard fins;
Debated on this. Light boat, windage are factors like ChicagoRoss and Doug N mentioned. We'll see how that goes. I plan to load this thing to the hilt anyhow.

Launching;
My issue is "no truck to tow". The boat will live in the water during boating season so buying a truck for the odd tow / launch was a waste for me. That said, my boat building neighbor will tow for the initial launch and I'll hire a truck owner to tow it from Ottawa to Montreal where she will reside at my wife's waterfront house (just bought a dock for this). The outboard was stored during the build and has not even been started yet. I'll just putter around the marina for a weekend for the break-in period and get the boat handling feel. Plus, this is a "big" boat for me. All I have under my belt is my canoe, kayak and a 14' aluminum with a 6hp :lol: so....baby steps.

There are lots of remaining details but my time is so limited between family, commuting, work and I keep finding things to add to the list of things to do on her :help:

Marc

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Beautiful! Beautiful ! Beautiful !
If I ever build another boat it’ll be the HMD19

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday Marc! The removable bimini makes a lot of sense. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That is a beautiful HMD19 and you have done a wonderful job on her. Enjoy her!

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hey GB and Tom !! What a nice surprise.

Still working on Penny with minor details and tie up loose ends but she is going to be launched this July :D. Getting a dock installed in the meantime.

Stand by for photos, I am seldom on the site to write these days but I do check the various builds.

Hope everyone is good... man it has been a long time.

Marc

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

:D Hi all... finally !!
Last of outfitting done / nothing more to do. Dock is installed, got insurance, booked a buddy's truck for the haul to Montreal, been keeping an eye on weather.

Launch is slated for Tuesday late afternoon.

Long time coming !! Will keep you posted.
Marc