Penny HMD19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Harmony HMD19

Post by grundasaurus »

At the boat shop I work at in the summer, we use steel tripod style stands that we can raise and lower just by turning a collar on the stand while it's loaded. See if you can get a hold of some medium stands and low stands. you could then jack the boat up off the cradle with the medium height stands, get the cradle out of the way,and then lower it onto the lower stands. We always used to position the front stand pretty far aft, so that you can lower the nose onto the trailer, then slowly drop the back end down whilst sliding the trailer under. Once 90% of the boat is on the trailer, remove the stands and gently winch the boat the final few inches or so. Might not be advisable on soft unstable ground, but those stands are pretty cheap, and will be super helpful if you ever want to work/repaint the bottom. just an idea.
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday Blueflood!

Really looking forward to your splash your coming summer. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi guys !! New season :D Hope winter and spring was good to everyone ! I did not lurk on the site much last winter, too busy with other things but once in a while I did to see what is going on with the crowd.

So this year it is the electrical and finishing outfitting hopefully. I'm not sure if she will be launched this summer as I am in the process of house shopping so my time is limited with all the running around; never mind the repairs and painting when I find one.

The electrical is tedious - I hate overlapping crossing wires, wanting things clean and tidy with the ground wires kept together so that is taking some time. Also more importantly, I decided to change her name to "Penny" to honor my sister who passed away around Christmas. Penny was her nickname from when we were kids watching the family Robinson in a cheesy sci-fi "Lost in Space". The name stuck since.

All in all I am happy with the progress.

Build on guys - will keep in touch.
Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice to hear from you again! :D

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Eric dude :D ...yep, I'm still alive. Hey you know how to change the main title on my build page ? I want to change Harmony HMD19 to Penny HMD19 - tried editing my gallery, profile etc...nothing doin'. Can't be that complicated.
Last edited by blueflood on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Penny HMD19

Post by jacquesmm »

I did it for you.
You have to go to the very 1st post of the thread and edit the title there.
Very nice looking boat BTW.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Thank you Jacques and thanks for the feedback :D

Marc

csotelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by csotelo »

Hi,

Sorry for your lost, it will be a great tribute to your sister.

You can lift the boat with hydraulic jack, support it with temporary frames and slide the trailer understand it easily, I did it to remove a broken trailer from a 28 footer.

After saw you using bed liner I'm considering use it too.

Congrats for the build.

Carlos

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Carlos,

You will love the bedliner :wink: especially working with it.

Marc

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

It has been a while but here is Penny being hauled on the trailer ready for the ride home. These were taken last fall - it was a scorching hot day. Today though, there is 2 feet of snow on the ground, it is -20C and she looks lonely and pathetic covered with a tarp but she is finally parked in the back yard and ready for another build season hopefully. Lots of changes in my life; got married for the first time at 60 :D, instant family and step-dad of two kids, sold the cottage to my brother, bought a small house in the woods close to Ottawa which really feels like home :D but the bugs, oh the bugs...as many as where I was before :roll:

I had problems uploading the photos last year but figured it out now ! There is a ton to do still, those aluminum flat bar rub rails need rounding over at the ends, the outboard rigging, lots of outfitting, some electrical details, some Monstaliner touch-ups, windows and cushions to be made will keep me busy for a while. That said, I do not see a launching before next year or the year after :roll: :help:

Marc
Build on !!
Last edited by blueflood on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.