a question on switches...

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

a question on switches...

Post by AtTheBrink »

I am about to order the wire and switches, most of it is pretty straight forward but I have a question for y'all. The switch for the Nav lights, do I need a single pole On-Off-On? Or a double pole On-Off-On?

I am ordering all this from Genuinedeals.com. I am also ordering the panel for the switches there as well. That should make mounting them easy. They have great prices and free shipping!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: a question on switches...

Post by tech_support »

On the bigger boat I run my nav. lights and anchor light (all around) off separate switch. I like the redundancy, not loosing all nav. lights if a bad switch or fuse. On a flats skiff, it might not really be all that necessary, and one switch helps keep things simple. My FS17 lights were all run on one switch.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

I am planning on just one switch for the nav lights. It will be a three position switch. On-Off-On. The up position will be all the nav lights,the down on position will just be the rear white all around light. The question I have is about the type of switch. The place I am buying them offers two different types of On-Off-On switches, a single pole switch and a double pole switch. Which one do I need for the above mentioned light set up?
Mike

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

A single pole will suit your needs.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Thanks!
Mike

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Hold on a minute. :)

With one switch, On-Off-On, how do you plan to wire it so that you have red-green and all-around light in one position, and just the all-around in the other position, with a single pole switch? Is it just me, or is this a :doh: ?

I like Joel's thought, having a separate switch for the all around/anchor light. Just remember to have it on when running too. And technically, the all-around is supposed to be one meter above the red-greens, even though it is not too common in practice. :wink: :)

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

Before you buy from anywhere check out here: http://www.oempartsllc.com/switches.aspx
Great prices, ship fast and only a $9.95 shipping charge.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

ks8 wrote:
With one switch, On-Off-On, how do you plan to wire it so that you have red-green and all-around light in one position, and just the all-around in the other position, with a single pole switch? Is it just me, or is this a :doh: ?
You put a jumper on it with a diode so the all around is powered in either position or you have to have a double pole switch....right?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Just found a cool video on YouTube explaining the whole thing including how to wire the switch. I am going to need a double pole switch. I would post the link if I could but I can't do that sort of thing on this device.
Mike

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I didn't mean to sound like a wise guy. Sorry if it came off that way. It was a rushed posting and what was envisioned didn't immediately click (pun intended?). I had first bought a panel with a single switch solution, but ultimately opted for separate switches and fuses at wiring time. Either way does what's needed. I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you, but I do like to have options -- and keep wire strippers and electrical tape in the tool bag. I'm tempted to add a MacGyver kit in a waterproof box. :)

The only difference in actual operation from a single switch solution is that one must remember to have the proper lights lit with the proper combination of switches. The USCG asked us the other night (memorial day?) if we were *running*. We said no -- anchored. Anchor light was on. They kindly reminded us to light the running navs whenever not anchored. No hassle at all. Just doing their jobs. Glad they were there. Lots of boatniks no doubt expected that weekend. And it is not impossible to *forget* to get the switches set right. :)

Please do post the YouTube link, Mike, when you get to a capable device. :)