AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the explanation Karl. Are you going to make the boom and/or yard out of carbon fibre and glass fibre sleeves as per the bateau 3 part tutorial?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Michael,
Yes the boom and yard I already made a long time ago and they turned out perfect. In hindsight I could have made them with a smaller than 50 mm diameter but they work fine and weigh only around 900 gram each. On one I used peel ply and it weighs a bit less than the other.

Here a picture of boom and yard before fairing and painting :

and here are 2 pictures of them at my first sail :

20190710_180757.jpg

I did not dare to make the mast myself because of the length and getting it straight.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Your rig looks great, Karl. I’m still trying to locate a yard and boom but haven’t had much luck

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Karl!!! Jeff

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Today after 2 sleepless nights because of thoughts about glueing my carbon mast pieces I did it at last and it took very little time. I think building my boat has taught me preparation for any task is the key to easy execution.
I first stuck on the 2 inserts lots of plastic tape around it like on the picture until it was the same diameter as the long pipes to make sure that it is completely straight lying on the table after glueing.

Mast head and middle insert ready for_gluing:

and then I mixed 25 grams of epoxy with 14 grams of hardener 3 teaspoons of silica and one spoon of wood flour and brushed first the insides of the long pipes and then the inserts themselves and slid them together wiping any excess epoxy away finished in 10 minutes.

Mast insert and head glued to the 3 meter long pipes:

Greetings from Karl

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Well done, Karl. Hope that mast makes things a lot easier for you

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Great stuff, Karl.
I think building my boat has taught me preparation for any task is the key to easy execution.
--Well, and then there's fairing.

But sorting out the solutions to odd problems you've never encountered before in life is one of the great pleasures attending almost all aspects of sailing. Well done!
Tony

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nicely thought through and executed mast fabrication Karl. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
My carbon mast is finished and and my son suggested we should go for a sail on Saturday. Getting the boat ready at the slip was very fast with his strong help and he raised the mast in 15 seconds and then he insisted to make the following picture:

Me in front of the boat just before we put it in the water :

and here it is in the water next to the boardwalk :

and then I can only show a picture of the boat on the lake taken by my sister from the shore. I took this picture even that it is far away you can see my junk rig not much else.

We had a very nice time on the water although with practically next to no wind for four and a half hours.

Greetings from Karl

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Watch out for that rock! :help: :help:

Beautiful Karl!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman