Page 1 of 1

Learning curve

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am
by AtTheBrink
I am about to start painting, I want to get a feel for this paint before applying it to the hull. Do y'all think it is a good idea to start in a fairly hidden area like the sides under the gunwales?

Re: Learning curve

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:19 pm
by tech_support
AtTheBrink wrote:I am about to start painting, I want to get a feel for this paint before applying it to the hull. Do y'all think it is a good idea to start in a fairly hidden area like the sides under the gunwales?

YES :!: :!: :!:

then when you start with the hull, start on the transom

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 pm
by AtTheBrink
Gotcha! Thanks for that. I am praying that a quart for the hull and a quart for the topside is enough paint to do 3 good coats. I have graphite on the hull bottom and I am going to use KiwiGrip on the sole and decks. I have read that this stuff goes a long way, do you think I have enough?

I wasn't worried about until now...

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 am
by Cracker Larry
That will be plenty, Mike.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 am
by AtTheBrink
Good! :D Thanks Larry!

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 am
by Dougster
I did all of Nina with that and have a third quart or so left over, so I'm with Larry. Tell us how that first coat goes on.

Liked the sterling Dougster

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:54 am
by AtTheBrink
Thanks guys! Wow Doug! You did the whole thing with less than a half gallon! That is amazing and makes me feel much more confident! :D Sterling really does go a long way! I am going to try to keep with "thin in the pot and thin on the boat", like it says in the tutorial to really make it shine. I will start with the sides under the gunwale or inside the hatches to get a feel for it before painting the hull.