Page 1 of 1

GF16 Complete! Pictures below

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:35 pm
by redfishla
Here are links to some photo's. Unfortunately, rainstorms and consequent flooding have delayed the launch. Just a couple of notes. The webbing came out better than I thought it would. It hid my imperfections and laziness well. I do, however, know that I'll be re-doing it every couple of seasons due to sliding coolers, flopping redfish, etc. You'll notice the thru-hull fitting on the port side near the stern. I added a bilge pump. I often get caught in those afternoon Louisiana thunderboomers.

Thanks for all for your help.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... m=42&pos=9

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... =42&pos=10

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... m=42&pos=8

came out well

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:05 pm
by Troutlet
Congratulations, the boat came out very well! The webbing looks great, do you think that clearcoating over the webbing would make it wear better/last longer?

And how many cans of that stuff did you go through?

Thanks,
Chris

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:13 pm
by redfishla
No, I didn't think of adding clear coat. I'm tired of painting, and just want to get it out. I used 3 small cans of the stuff, and probably could've used a 4th. I experimented inside the seat storage, and then progressed to the inside of the hull.

Re: GF16 Complete! Pictures below

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:25 pm
by Rick
redfishla wrote:Here are links to some photos. Unfortunately, rainstorms and consequent flooding have delayed the launch.
Really nice looking boat. Congratulations!

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:49 pm
by ddbiiz
Boat looks great!!! I like the finish. FISH ON!!!! 8)
OD18
Don

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:20 pm
by redfishla
Believe me, it's a 10 foot finish. As you get closer, you see some rather significant imperfections. Oh well, it's my first boat, and it IS a fishing boat.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:52 pm
by gralex
How did you go about the webbing and would you suggest it on the GF 18? I recently ordered plans and I love the look of the interior. Great looking boat!

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:11 pm
by redfishla
Someone else on this board turned me on to the webbing. It's very inexpensive, and is a Krylon product -- less than $3 a can. As far as it's durability -- I can't comment yet. It's very difficult to scrape it off with your fingernail, but possible with some effort.

The webbing is so easy, a child could apply it. It looks as good as the webbing on my rolled-edge production boat.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:19 pm
by Fritz
Really nice =D>

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:39 pm
by stickystuff
Reall looks great. I was wondering who made the webbing paint. Krylon in my books is the best spray pain in a can. does Walmart carry the webbing? Where did you find yours.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:48 pm
by redfishla
I got it from www.misterart.com

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:29 pm
by deedee
WOW :!: THATS A GOOD LOOKING BOAT ! THAT WEBBING REALLY GIVES IT A GOOD LOOK . THAT WAS THE ONLY THING I LIKED ABOUT MY OLD CAROLINA SKIFF. CONGRATULATIONS . NOW ITS TIME TO DIRTY IT UP :wink:

Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:42 pm
by fishinchris
Very fine job indeed ! 8)

Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:25 pm
by Mango
Bryan,

Congrats! She looks great! I feel a little pride in thinking my advice might've contributed a little. I'll send you the transom shot when I get a minute at home, but I've moved my transducer into the rear seat well. I'll send a PM explaining why I like it better. Talk to me BEFORE you go drilling any holes in your beautiful boat!

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
by Grant
Bryan,

Awesome boat! The paint and webbing look fantastic. It is definitely launch time. Congratulations.

Grant

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:58 pm
by redfishla
Grant:

Thank you for being the inspiration on the webbing. How has yours held up? I didn't lay a clear coat down, so it'll be exposed. I'm a bit concerned, but fortunately, it was easy and inexpensive to do.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:19 pm
by jacquesmm
Here in the office, we like the webbing too. Great job, congratulations.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:38 pm
by Grant
Bryan,

You are very welcome for the webbing info. Mine has held up great. We have been fishing a lot lately and there has been no noticeable "wearing" of the webbing. You should be fine, but like you said, it is very cheap and easy to do!

Happy boating :D

Grant

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:43 pm
by bharbaugh
So Grant,

Are you confused yet?

Two Brian's (one with a Y) both building GF16's. Both asking about webbing?

Brian

Posted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 pm
by Grant
Hey Brian,

You should be finishing your boat instead of trying to confuse me with these messages! Just kidding. I hadn't gotten you two confused just yet. Of course, once you finish yours, which if I remember correctly will be painted white with the splatter paint as well..........who knows? :lol:

Happy Building

Grant

Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:36 am
by redfishla
My Friends:

Here's a link to another photo I should have included. It gives a nice shot from the bow, and shows the webbing more clearly. Also, I used some poly cutting board for the outboard mounting. It seems to work fine. I attached with 5200 and SS screws. This keeps from squishing the plywood and scarring the paint. Also, the motor is chained down now to one of the transom-hooks. To save money (goodness, this boat got expensive), I made my own rod holders from 2 inch PVC. You can see them on the rear seat support.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-1083

Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:14 am
by bharbaugh
Grant,

I decided to balk the sytem and splatter paint the outside of my boat. No not serious.

Actually, I am going to leave it Arctic White inside for the time being. It's a high gloss sprayed on Poly Eurothane so the webbing would probably not stick well unless I scuffed the whole inside. I am not quite prepared to do that. If it is too bright I will probably scuff, web and coat with a clear satin. But that is a lot of work and I need to be fishing.

You are right, by the way I should be working on the boat. My wife leaves for a week May 21. Just me and the dog for a week. I plan on completing then. With some time before of course. This is about the fifth date I have set for completion.

Bryan,
Your boat looks great. You should be proud. Tell me about the rod holders again, I did not see them in the photo. Did you put them on the top of the mid seat between the side and the hatch?

You did a lot of work in a little bit of time. It looks great.

Brian

Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:31 am
by redfishla
Brian:

The rod holders are kind of hard to see. On the above post (with new link) try double clicking it to enlarge. The are on the rear seat support along the gunnels. They are jut a bit hard to see, since they are white. Essentially, they are 14 inch long pieces of pvc with notches. They are screwed in and bedded in 5200 sealant/adhesive.

Nice!

Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:03 pm
by keysrat
I am impressed. I especially like the way you made the motor mount. Pretty good idea.

I will be picking up the plywood for mine at Shell Lumber on Thursday. I'll be building the boat at my father's house in Key Largo as he has a carport and I do not.
Of course, I'll have to finish the rebuilding of my flats skiff before I start on the GF 16 or the Missus will be quite displeased.
Mine will be used as a duck boat so it won't have all the purty paint y'all have been putting on yours. Mine will "dead grass brown" or some other yucky color. I plan to use flush mount rod holders in the rear bench.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:09 pm
by Zane
I like it... Especially the interior splatter effect. Clean colors and she looks good overall.

I'll bet you get all kinds of questions at the dock. :)

Expensive? Don't worry about it... You bought a boat AND an education at the same time.

-Zane

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:44 pm
by gralex
I recently received plans for the GF18 and will start building next month. The interior you have has inspired me greatly. Can you provide me with an item number for the paint you used from the Mister Art site?

Posted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:56 pm
by redfishla
The webbing spray wasn't my idea, but one of someone else on the board. Just go to www.misterart.com and do a search for webbing spray. It should come right up.