OptiMystics WV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OptiMystics WV13

Post by OptiMystic »

It wasn't my intent to hijack, but I guess I did. Sorry about that. I had first posted because I was interested in following a build while I planned mine and then when mine started actually slowly unfolding...

I am aiming for a true launch in late spring. I say "true launch" because I will actually splash the hull quite soon to check how far up the drains water comes with me and some weight in it and decide exactly where the seat should be. This will happen with just the bottom fully sealed with unpainted glass on the bottom.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You had me confused, glad you were able to straighten things out- I don't think I've ever seen a thread so completely hijacked, though. Should be some kind of prize! :lol:
Hank

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

No worries. I did start this thread over a year ago and still haven't started the build yet, so someone may as well use it! :lol:
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

OK, so some catching up. i did a float test to make sure the drains I am planning to use will work and to make sure the seat will work where Ithink.

I have the bottom hull built with drains in it:

and I put some styrofoam blocks in:

mounted the seat on a piece of ply:

and dropped it in a pond to check it out:

It did okay. I put 2 gallon jugs of water in the bow and 3 in the stern and got in again. Water was pretty close to the top of the drains (they are a little over 5" off the bottom). So I think building up the styrofoam to just above them will work perfectly.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It looks good and your testing matches my calculations if your weight is around 170 lbs.
What is that kink in the rubrail?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

I think I got the one form slightly off. When I clamped the rail, I cracked on both sides. I thought about tearing it out but it resolves to a curve before the water line and I convinced myself it would resolve itself at the the top also. Obviously it did not. But the hull is rock solid. I think/hope it will just be a visual imperfection, especially once I get the deck in place. If all that damages is my pride, I can live with that. Is there a bigger problem than aesthetics?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

No, it should be strong. You be able to correct it a little bit while putting the deck on:
- attache a temporary batten to the rubrail before decking and get it fair.
- install the deck
- remove the temporary batten.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

I take it the temporary goes on the outside(?). Screwed in and then repair the holes after removing it? I felt pretty sure about the strength, which is why I pressed on. It's only right at the top that it kinks a little and not enough to have lifted any face grain in the okoume or anything.

Also, I used 7.5 oz cloth on the outside of the hull; got a good deal and thought every little bit helps. But it slurped up a bit more epoxy than I expected. I don't think this is a problem either, just noting it. I may end up a little heavier than most.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Did you glue the frames in first then glue sections of batten between them? It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the frames are cutting through the battens and you have a kink at each frame. I think normally you should glue the batten full length first which will help give a smooth curve and then trim the frames to fit loosely inside.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

I started full length and cracked and broke battens and then cut them cleanly instead. You hit what is likely my trouble - the frame were not loosely fitting inside, at least not near the top. I should have trimmed or recut them. Too much short session "I need to get this done today" work and much of it late night. Yeah, I screwed up and pressed on but Jacque's assurance that I will get a strong boat is encouraging. I believe I will get the functional boat I am after out of this, but it may not be a thing of beauty. Maybe I should call it a Breaker instead of a Wave...