OptiMystics WV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OptiMystics WV13

Post by OptiMystic »

I started full length and cracked and broke battens and then cut them cleanly instead. You hit what is likely my trouble - the frame were not loosely fitting inside, at least not near the top. I should have trimmed or recut them. Too much short session "I need to get this done today" work and much of it late night. Yeah, I screwed up and pressed on but Jacque's assurance that I will get a strong boat is encouraging. I believe I will get the functional boat I am after out of this, but it may not be a thing of beauty. Maybe I should call it a Breaker instead of a Wave...

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Don't worry, I'm sure it will be plenty strong enough too.

I had a similar issue with the deck on one of my kayaks. The deck was supposed to be one piece from the front going down the sides with camber across it. The frame was obviously a bit too high and put a slight curve in it lengthways too. Decent marine ply would probably have taken it with a bit of force, but the cheap stuff I was using just cracked along the frame. So, I recut it in 3 pieces - one for the front and one for each side and made a feature of it by making the kink obvious. No one has ever questioned it! :lol:
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

Oddly, aesthetics is one thing that drove me this way also, though I may not have made the best decision. When the batten cracked/broke along both sides, it was uneven; I could see that the lines were not symmetric. Cutting made the break at the same spot and symmetric. The only people who have questioned the kinks are other builders.

A landscaper buddy is giving me some help/advice with getting the foam properly gap filled and suitably firm enough to form the cockpit. I posted a picture of an Evolution before as my pattern of sorts, but a Supralite is a closer size match.
I will make it only slightly different to accept the seat I got:
and not as form fitting as I have drains at all four corners of the cockpit.

One thing I wonder about is if I will ever want a rudder system and should I think about having some sort of conduit? I kind of think not; I may just want a removable fin/skeg at the stern. I have paddled a couple of boats with fixed fins and they don't turn as easily but track well when dealing with crosswinds, which would be the primary concern I may have. But a number of popular boats up to 15' or so commonly paddled at the coast have neither rudder nor fin.

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

Working on the rod storage and console. The seat will be over where the clamp is so the console will be between my knees. Tested stuffing a couple of rods in and it works fine. The rods are fed in through the console, under the seat, tankwell and stern. There is a divider in the channel so the eyes won't hang up on each other. I should be able to slip both rods in and have a little extra room for a small bag and close a hatch over them before paddling out through the waves.

Dry fit; they are not glued in yet.

ImageImage

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looking good. That's a great thing about building your own boat, getting all the details just like you want.
Hank

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

Thanks. It won't be the prettiest girl at the dance, but I am confident I will have a good beach and in shore boat by summer. Too chilly to do any epoxy work though; I was going to seal the corners of the storage channel with a slurry and leave it in the garage with a heater, but it is going down to the teens tonight. My wimpy little heater wouldn't stand a chance. It may be a couple of weeks before I get more done.

I have 2 part foam on hand now also. I have some heavy duty styro from industrial frozen shipping containers that I am using. I will cut blocks to about the right shape and use the 2 part as filler/adhesive. I will do that to get just above drain level going up and on the sides to get a shape somewhat similar to the Stealth but slightly more open inside.

Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boost240sx »

I've been considering a very similar rod storage to mine but I may carry it forward instead of aft.

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

So yours is still in progress? Since you were so far along in October I thought you might be done. You do nice work, BTW. I thought about the front way also, but the limit that puts on length concerned me and because I had decided on a big tankwell, the area under it was already dead space. I also convinced myself, rightly or wrongly, that it will actually be more awkward to pull rods out toward you. It seems more natural in a way, but you will have to get out of the way. I will have to dig around for the link (I think it may be earlier in this thread) but I have seen this design on at least one model.

Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boost240sx »

Thanks. My first time with major fiberglass work so it has been a learning process.

I saw your post on mine after I posted the one above. I just posted some float testing I've done, it has been too cold for resin to kick off and also hunting season. I finished some of the fillets for the seat stringers and it took almost a week for them to cure so I figure I'd take a break till it got a little warmer.

I had the same thought about the direction until I borrowed a friend's store bought kayak that went forward and it is less awkward than I thought. Most of my rods are 6' and that happens to be the perfect distance from the bow to frame C.

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

I found the boat I was talking about - the Eddyline Caribbean 14.

At about 1:30 in this video you will see the rod storage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNchDo3PU8s#t=156
Scary implementation - all interconnected.

I combined it with the design from this thread which you may find of interest:
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 0&start=60
he did what you are proposing.

So are you doing the drains? Side or bottom?