OptiMystics WV13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OptiMystics WV13

Post by Boost240sx »

I've seen the second one and plan on something similar but not as high and 2 of the rod holders below with the bottom sealed off and maybe a partial tray under the cap.

I'll have to check the youtube one out this evening.

By drains do you mean the scuppers for the cockpit? If so I found scupper inserts at a local kayak store that conveniently fit in a PVC pipe that I'm going to insert in the 4 corners of the cockpit. I figured with the camber in the sole I'll need them in all four corners and cut the PVC flush. I figured I can always add more fairly easily if I find it doesn't drain fast enough.

http://www.rei.com/product/833761/ocean ... 4044271280|

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

yes I mean scuppers. I am avoiding PVC for scuppers; my understanding is that epoxy won't permanently seal it. I bought some fiberglass pipe instead. I went a bit overboard, but I plan to paddle through breakers. Both the cockpit and tankwell have 4 - 1.25" ID (1.5" OD .125" wall) scuppers. Sitting up on blocks, you would have trouble filling it with anything short of a fire hose. I will plug them in flat water.

I am still undecided on rod holders. I like those you show. I would consider using PVC like that where there is a surface lip you can put a gasket under and use a mechanical fastener with. I will likely have 2 rods. I may go with a purpose built crate that fits the tankwell almost exactly and has a very secure fastener and put the rod holders in it. Nor sure...

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

I ran this calculator:
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/civil/hazen-williams_g
on my pipes and if they were draining into open air, they would drain about four and a half liters per second - each!

Boost240sx
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boost240sx »

I should have pointed out that when I put them in I'll do as I did for the tube in the bow and stern for handles and that is wrap the PVC in fiberglass tape then fiberglass the external tape on the outside of the tube to the hull. If for some reason it ever leaked it is still in a fiber glass tube and above the water line.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

OptiMystic wrote:. . .I bought some fiberglass pipe instead. .
It is easy to make fiberglass tubes cheaply in that diameter: warp some fiberglass around an old neon tube. When cured, break the tube and you have a super nice straight fiberglass tube.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

I need to put more confidence in fiberglass; I know a simple wrap of cloth would probably be fine. These tubes are heavier duty than that; I could slip rod holders or cart posts into them with no concern. They would probably withstand small arms fire. :help:

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OptiMystic »

OK, I bought something that may seem a little odd:
It's a half rack for a commercial dishwasher. Behind the seat, in the tank well, I am going to make the front part of the space fit this sideways (just as pictured) with only a little to spare on either side and then taper the sides toward the stern leaving a trapezoid about 20" at the big end, 16" at the small end and about 1' between the ends. Not positive what I will stow in that spot yet, but probably a small soft cooler. The reason for doing this instead of the more standard milk crate is simple - I can keep it flat across the top. I have a 12" x 40" fish/bait bag that I can lay flat on top of gear. But if I am not taking it or just really need to cram in a bunch of gear, I might be able to squeeze in a regular square milk crate instead of the soft cooler.

I will likely add low angle rod holders at the front corners of the crate. I am pretty good about minimizing tackle and that is actually big enough to hold a fair amount. I really like the idea of being able to have a crate back there without giving up the flat deck space.

OptiMystic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Skeg?

Post by OptiMystic »

Is a skeg a good idea on this boat? I will likely be using it on open water with wind.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

How's progress, anything to show?
Hank