GF16 In The PSL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GF16 In The PSL

Post by jorgepease »

wow, that is sweet!!!

bigphillet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigphillet »

Very nice! I hope mine comes out half as nice. Happy 4th!

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater »

Noles -

Nice job on the para cord wrap. I seem to remember this conversation with you a while back :D

Looks great!

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

mindunderwater wrote:Noles -

Nice job on the para cord wrap. I seem to remember this conversation with you a while back :D

Looks great!
It was fine before I had to paint it. The uv resistant epoxy I used didn't work as advertised. Once I painted it, it got hot. :(
Gary
GF-16 Completed

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Just read through the whole thread, great job on the build, documentation and finish. I've been between several boats to build next and the FS14 was the first on the list. After reading your thread, watching the videos and then looking at other GF16s I'm starting to lean towards it more and more. How does the boat handle a chop? I'm not concerned with it bouncing around but I'd like to avoid pounding and being soaked if possible. Also now that you've presumably used it at least a few times since you launched what are your overall impressions? What would have you done different or the same?

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Its a great boat. I love it. It runs pretty dang dry and Iv'e had it in some sloppy stuff in the Indian River (big water down here). If you slow down in a chop you will have no worries, if you don't, she will pound pretty good. If you spend most of your time in bigger water, its probably not the boat for you.

Things I would do different: Rig it for a trolling motor, use epoxy graphite on the bottom instead of Gatorglide, make the back deck flush with the top of the rubrail or drill some drain holes in the transom (It holds water where the transom meets the deck) and thats about it.

Things I don't like about it: Only one, the mid seat. Its wide at 24" and a pita to climb over.

Its perfect for what I do 90% of the time which is creeks, smallish rivers and mangrove tunnels.
Last edited by Noles309 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

why not the Gator Glide is it scratching up? Mine has held up pretty good but haven't really beached her that much

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

For what it costs, I don't think its really worth it. It doesn't seem as slick as it did and I dont think its really held up all that well. I have had to touch up places that went through to the primer. They show those airboats running on land with the stuff. I figured it would be indestructible in the water....
Gary
GF-16 Completed

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

I'l keep an eye on mine, so far no issues. Was glad you didn't say it started to blister after a week in the water or something like that, haven't tried that to see what would happen if I did that.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Noles309 wrote:Its a great boat. I love it. It runs pretty dang dry and Iv'e had it in some sloppy stuff in the Indian River (big water down here). If you slow down in a chop you will have no worries, if you don't, she will pound pretty good. If you spend most of your time in bigger water, its probably not the boat for you.

Things I would do different: Rig it for a trolling motor, use epoxy graphite on the bottom instead of Gatorglide, make the back deck flush with the top of the rubrail or drill some drain holes in the transom (It holds water) and thats about it.

Things I don't like about it: Only one, the mid seat. Its wide at 24" and a pita to climb over.

Its perfect for what I do 90% of the time which is creeks, smallish rivers and mangrove tunnels.
Thanks for the report, I'm glad to hear you're liking it. My local waters are lakes, St Johns River and IRL/ML. I was really looking at the FS14 w/ a flat sole since I like the open layout but having a center bench length might be worth it for 2 extra feet of length, especially with your reports of liking it so much. I wish there was a side by side of an FS14 and GF16.

Sorry to hijack your thread, great job and thanks for documenting. Makes sitting in a cubicle almost bearable.