GF16 In The PSL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GF16 In The PSL

Post by Noles309 »

94'325is wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:07 am Noles,

Do you by any chance have the measurement for the total height of your grab bar from the deck to the top? I'm working on sizing a grab bar and am between 42" and 48" and yours looks like it's in a good spot. Thanks!
I'll measure when I get home. Mine is actually a little too tall I think.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

RickFenn
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RickFenn »

On these plans for the bottom panels. Are the measurements every 20 3/8”?

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

RickFenn wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm On these plans for the bottom panels. Are the measurements every 20 3/8”?
While not addressed to me...no. From the back transom it's every 12" up to where the measurement is at 14 3/4". The last line for the bow is 20 3/8" from the end of the plywood sheet.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

RickFenn
New Poster
New Poster

Post by RickFenn »

Thanks for the reply. Just got a little confused looking at it

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

RickFenn wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:50 pm Thanks for the reply. Just got a little confused looking at it
If my calculations are correct, the space between the 14 3/4" mark and the last line at the bow should be 15 5/8" then the 20 3/8" to the end of the plywood sheet.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Repton
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Repton »

Hi Gary,
Having just read your entire thread let me say that you have built a truly handsome boat! I have recently been toying with the idea of building another boat and was thinking of a river/lake panfish/crappie boat - something of narrow beam, flat bottom, in the 14-16 ft. range and comfortable for an <older> gentleman to fish in. Going through the Bateau line up it seems that the GF boats are ones most closely fitting those requirements.

I would necessarily want stick steering from a location nearer the bow than the GF16 "middle" seat which I understand is not movable due to structural constraints (see Jacques post in another thread). Also, as you suggested in your "druthers" , I would want a trolling motor also, but the bow transom of the GF16 does not easily lend itself to accommodating one.

I already have an almost brand new Merc. 20 4 str. with remote control, power trim and electric start and it seems that it would be an adequate motor for a "lightly" built GF16.

I note that you are using 2 - 3 gal. tanks instead of a 6. I guess that's for ease in getting them in and out of the bow compartment. Makes sense. I would like to stick with a portable tank but dragging it in and out of the boat is a pain in my FS17 (actually, FS 15.5 as I scaled the 17 down). So, I might conceivably go with a fixed tank up in the bow.

Rocker! It seems that every one of these GF's has had the rocker demon show up and not without a great deal of hair pulling and consternation. Even though the designer has acknowledged it's put there on purpose, that doesn't seem to dissuade most builders to stress about it until its "fixed". (sound familiar?). If there really is a good reason to "fix it", it would make more sense for those of us going forward to "fix" it before it happens. I.E., when cutting out the parts. Thoughts?

I believe you have worked out the bugs in your choice of paints - exactly what I would have chosen even before I started reading your build thread. I would even go with the same color combo as you did (if you didn't object too strongly :D ). I'd also go with the graphite - I did 3 coats on my boat and have run it over all sorts of bad things and nothing has yet cut through to the primer!

I'm just not sure yet....I still object to the high bow which is not seen on the type of boats I'm thinking of building. For one thing it makes for a longer trolling motor and its farther down to the water when you have to lean over the side a pick up a monster fish :D

Great boat! Great Job! Inspiring!

Bobby

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

About the rocker: we don't want excessive rocker but many planing boats have a little bit of rocker in the stern half of the hull, like 1/2" for a 20' at DWL. As designed, the GF16 has 3/8" rocker in the last 8'. The boat works perfectly well that way.
Take in account the overlaps at the transom and you have something that looks like a shingle between 1/8 and 1/4". I would just fair that: the two combined will reduce porpoising if any.
A 100% flat run (rocker less than 1/8") is not needed here, it's not a speed hull and I prefer stability.
I have a GF16 with the designed rocker and with a 20HP and 2 persons on board, factory Al prop, we top at 28 mph. That's enough for that boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm »

I would necessarily want stick steering from a location nearer the bow than the GF16 "middle" seat which I understand is not movable due to structural constraints (see Jacques post in another thread). Also, as you suggested in your "druthers" , I would want a trolling motor also, but the bow transom of the GF16 does not easily lend itself to accommodating one.
I think stick steer from the middle seat would work great on this boat. That would move weight forward where it needs to be. I am in the process of deciding on a trolling motor on mine. I don't think it will be a big stretch to do but I think it will mean a moving some of the stuff(like gas) back under the rear seat. When I stand on the front of the boat the rear is barely in the water. standing between the front deck and middle seat would work great.

I already have an almost brand new Merc. 20 4 str. with remote control, power trim and electric start and it seems that it would be an adequate motor for a "lightly" built GF16.
The 20 will be great. Anything over that is likely too much unless you are running a real heavy load. I also hit about 28 with a 20hp tohatsu.

I note that you are using 2 - 3 gal. tanks instead of a 6. I guess that's for ease in getting them in and out of the bow compartment. Makes sense. I would like to stick with a portable tank but dragging it in and out of the boat is a pain in my FS17 (actually, FS 15.5 as I scaled the 17 down). So, I might conceivably go with a fixed tank up in the bow.
With stick steer from the middle, you could likely put gas under the middle seat, even fixed.

Rocker! It seems that every one of these GF's has had the rocker demon show up and not without a great deal of hair pulling and consternation. Even though the designer has acknowledged it's put there on purpose, that doesn't seem to dissuade most builders to stress about it until its "fixed". (sound familiar?). If there really is a good reason to "fix it", it would make more sense for those of us going forward to "fix" it before it happens. I.E., when cutting out the parts. Thoughts?
I got rocker also. I added a few layers of 12 oz biax and flattened it out to dead flat. I had what everyone worried about, porpoising. It really seems that weigh distribution is the culprit and not rocker. A cavitation plate fixed all my problems. I don't know if I would worry about it. I sure wouldn't let the fear of a little rocker steer you away from the GF series. It is easy to prevent or fix if it bothers you. be careful when putting the bottom on and you can prevent most of it.
I love the boat so far.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Thanks Bobby, Tally is my hometown btw :)
I'm with Jim, stick steer from the mid seat would be ideal in this boat. I like his idea of the fuel tank in the mid seat as well in this configuration. I run solo a lot and you need weight forward in that scenario, which was why I put my fuel up front. I used two 3 gal tanks because in most cases 3 gal is plenty and it was easier to fit the shorter 3 gal tanks up front and when full, 3 gal is way easier to handle than 6.
The 20 is a perfect motor for this boat. I would like to try a 25 two stroke one day though.
I don't have a patent on anything on my boat copy away :wink:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, weight distribution is the main culprit when ti comes to porpoising but a little unbalance between rocker and a shingle helps a little bit. It's like two forces working against each other when the boat begins to porpoise.
It is something that most builders will not notice.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com