GF16 In The PSL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GF16 In The PSL

Post by Noles309 »

No worries, who doesn't like talking about their boat? :D
The FS14 was on my short list to. I went with the 16 for the two extra feet of length for the same amount of plywood.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

That's my thinking as well, larger boat is always good. I believe I can squeeze the extra 2 feet in my garage w/ a swing tongue, that's my constraint.

Looking at your pictures, when you put in the PVC chase tubes for electrical and fuel lines did you use any fiberglass tape or was it just thickened resin? I really like that idea, in fact I'll probably be stealing a lot of them actually whenever I can start my new build. That grab bar especially!

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Ha, steal away. I used thickened epoxy to bed them in and then I glassed over them with 9 oz tape. Also, it would have been much easier to do one chase per side if I hadn't forgotten it and poured foam in the compartment that it needed to pass through :oops:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Thanks again, this is all really good information to know moving forward. It's amazing how many small details go into the building process.

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

One more question for you, have you noticed any flexing in the bottom when running at full speed? I recall reading a few posts where people had said there was bottom flexing issues w/ 25hp and above. It wasn't a strength issue but I was curious if that was an issue or not. Also since you have the grab bar mounted permanently (really like that idea) you will have to stand back there all the time I assume? I saw tanks and a cooler in the bow, is that enough to offset the weight? Thanks!

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

No flexing, but you can feel the water at speed if that makes any sense to you. It doesn't bother me any. I'm running a 20 though not a 25.
The driving position is fine. I also sit on the platform and drive quite a bit when I have a passenger. I don't need the cooler with a passenger, but alone I do. I strap it down on the front deck.
I need to try dropping the motor a notch just to see what it does. I'm also contemplating playing with the motor height some. I would like to get 30 out of it and I'm thinking if I raised it another inch or maybe a little more I may be able to get it. :help:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

94'325 and Noles I was on Cracker Larry's GF 16 several years ago. There was no flexing. We were out in the bay off Crystal River in Florida about 5 miles. The waves started to show white caps so we headed in. His 25HP hit 30-32kts with both of us total weight of about 480 lbs on board. The GF16 is a great boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Noles,

Do you by any chance have the measurement for the total height of your grab bar from the deck to the top? I'm working on sizing a grab bar and am between 42" and 48" and yours looks like it's in a good spot. Thanks!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The bottom is designed for 15 HP. Cracker Larry and several other builders have installed bigger engines and because of that, they reinforced the bottom with at least one extra layer of biaxial. This is perfectly fine and I think I mention that in the building notes.
If your engine is >15 HP, add one layer of biaxial each side and pay attention to the runners: epoxy them properly to the bottom.
Built that way, even with a 25, the bottom will not flex.

BTW, please post technical questions like this in the technical section, the one at the top.
I monitor those sections and reply every day.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the grab bar, it depends on your height.
I am 5-10 and a 36" grab bar in my son's GF16 is fine.
My son is 6' and he would like a grab bar a couple inches higher.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com