GF16 In The PSL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Vanagod
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GF16 In The Pizzle

Post by Vanagod »

Nice-looking stand. I would cover it with a tarp or some kind of sheet of plastic or like that quarter inch melamine I was talking about earlier to keep the epoxy from sticking to it because you're going to get a lot of epoxy on it over the build. And as for gilding the Lily, if you reinforce the legs a little bit you might be able to put casters on them and roll the boat around the garage to make accessing various corners easier too.

How long is your garage? It looks like your stand is almost as long as the garage itself like you have just a few feet behind the back of the stand and you'll have to have the garage door open in order to work on the boat. Please keep posting pictures this project. I'll be watching it. I'm thinking about making a GF 16 for my next build (or an FS 17 or a GF 18 or a CK 17; who knows, too many good plans to choose from.... Now how big is my garage? :? )
-Aaron
"A-Ron the relentless"

Soli Deo Gloria
Semper Reformanda

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

The garage is 20x20 and the frame is 16x4. I may need to move the compressor, table saw and welder off of the back wall but maybe not.
I will probably cover it with visqueen when the epoxy starts flying. A tarp is a good idea, I have some left over from the twin hurricanes we had in 04 that were covering our blown off roof.
I thought about casters still kind of up in the air on them. $$$ is adding up quick.

I hear ya on all the different possibilities here. I actually had a set of FS18 plans and a partial FG and plywood kit. I bought it from a guy on Microskiff. I ended up selling it because I wanted to start with something easier first, I didn't want to build it outside and SWMBO refuses to park her ride outside :roll: . I would need the whole garage to build an 18 footer...
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Vanagod
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Vanagod »

I'm using scrap tarp material on my work bench and other places. Cured epoxy comes off of tarp pretty easily.
-Aaron
"A-Ron the relentless"

Soli Deo Gloria
Semper Reformanda

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I'm in the process of laying everything out. Do you cut out each frame then lay out the next or lay it all out and cut it at one time? I guess I'm really asking is if the width of the saw blade requires you to lay out and cut each panel individually? I ask because some of the seat frames touch each other on the nesting diagram.

Thanks
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GF16 In The PSL

Post by Noles309 »

CL already answered in the powerboats section.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Definitely add some casters...and get 3" or bigger. You're going to want to roll that thing outside for sanding, cutting, sanding, sanding, getting it out of the way, sanding, sanding, and sanding.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I'm local, give a shout if you need a second set of hands during your build.

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

Matt Gent wrote:I'm local, give a shout if you need a second set of hands during your build.
X2
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Thanks for the offer Matt and Walker. I may very well take you up on that.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Nothing really exiting to report. I have most everything laid out. I hope to finish that and get everything cut tomorrow.
Feels good to finally be started.

Gary
GF-16 Completed