1991 stratos bass boat restoration.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1991 stratos bass boat restoration.

Post by backwoods1975 »

Got some questions that I hope I can get answered here but first what I have done to the boat so far.

I removed the top half of boat, removed the soles, and all of the flotation foam. I have found wet cores and wet stringers.

The two inner most stringers are removed (one piece) and now the questions. The stringers are made from 3/4 pine board, or at least its not plywood and are 10" at its tallest. I don't think I will be able to find a pine 1x12 18 foot long, so I am planning on using 3/8 douglas fir.

I will be using epoxy, but am not sure which weight of biaxial to use on stringers. Also not sure how many layers to use.

When I get to the transom I will be using 1708, as that seems to be the standard recommendation.

I am confused about using mat and epoxy, seems some say it isnt necessary.

The glass on current stringers look about 1/16" thick. On the transom the glass looks to be 3/16" thick. ( transom plywood is 2")

I will try to post pictures but am very computer challenged. The boat is 19.6 ft long. 200hp outboard.
Last edited by backwoods1975 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1991 stratos bass boat restoration.

Post by backwoods1975 »

More info on boat while I try to figure out how to post a picture. The boat is 19.5 ft long, 86" wide. The stringers are spaced on 10.5" centers and there are 4 of them. Seems like there was woven cloth on stringers about 1/16 total thickness. The stringers are made of solid wood, maybe pine, 3/4" thick.

The cores, which are wet, are 1 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick. They are beveled on both sides at close to 45 degrees. There are a total of 7 of these, one of which is in the very bottom and doesn't look to be made the same but I haven't cut them out yet.

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

Alrighty then

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Hi Backwoods. Posting pix will get your post a lot more traction. Go to the post it notes in the first part of the forum for a how to on posting pix. You will get better results as well if you narrow your questions down to specific parts of the build. Also read through some of the detailed builds on here and you will get a much better feel for what will be involved and the best way to do things. Read all of the how to's and so forth as well. That will get you a long ways to asking good pointed questions that will get a good response from the forum members.

thanks and welcome to the board.

TG
You are what you is! And I is Done!

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

can I epoxy glue, fillet, and tape in succession? Or do I need to let glue set, and then fillet and tape?

I cant seem to get a url from the pictures on my computer, if my pics had a url address I am sure I could post them.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Hi Backwoods,

If you need, you can email the pics to me, and I can put them up for you.

wegcagle at gmail

Will

To answer your other question, I usually let the glue kick before proceeding. Otherwise the stuff your gluing becomes a mess :help: . Everyone has there way of making filets. I use the method described by Cracker Larry (Larry please correct me as needed :D )

1. Lay the filet
2. 30 minute cubra libre break :wink: let the filet firm up to where it's tough to change it's shape by pushing on it.
3. Paint some neat epoxy over the filet
4. Lay the tape and wet it out with neat epoxy.

Hope this helps.

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

thanks, I will email you some pics this evening.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I cant seem to get a url from the pictures on my computer, if my pics had a url address I am sure I could post them.
You first have to upload them to an online photo storage site, then link to them. You can start a gallery here on the Bateau site, http://gallery.bateau2.com/ or use photobucket or similar.

Will answered your other question, that is the best and fastest way to do it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

thanks larry, I figured it was something simple.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Although I may not add much to this thread, I'm looking forward to following the pictures and comments of your restoration. :)