Biscuit's Panga 22 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Biscuit's Panga 22 build

Post by Biscuit »

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That's a big transom. Nice, looks like you prepared well for the glue job.
Hank

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

one of those numbered fillers I had left over from another project.
I hung on to the empty cans and used them for the various fillers from bateau. The cans are eassier for me to handle with gloved hands. :wink:

Way too much glue on the transom? Doesn't look like it to me. There's not enough dripped on the floor. :lol:
The first parts are not as easy, but as you progress, you'll be able to cut a few parts ahead of the work you are doing at the time and have them available to use the extra epoxy on.
CC, D15, V10

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

I use a notched spreader to evenly spread epoxy glue on entire wood surface when I glue two pieces together.

see link
http://www.amazon.com/West-System-809-N ... B002IZDIYK

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

That's a big transom. Nice, looks like you prepared well for the glue job.
Hank
gk108 wrote:
one of those numbered fillers I had left over from another project.
I hung on to the empty cans and used them for the various fillers from bateau. The cans are eassier for me to handle with gloved hands. :wink:

Way too much glue on the transom? Doesn't look like it to me. There's not enough dripped on the floor. :lol:
The first parts are not as easy, but as you progress, you'll be able to cut a few parts ahead of the work you are doing at the time and have them available to use the extra epoxy on.
I use a notched spreader to evenly spread epoxy glue on entire wood surface when I glue two pieces together.

see link
http://www.amazon.com/West-System-809-N ... B002IZDIYK

tcason

Fellas,
Thanks for the encouraging comments but I wouldn't exactly say I prepared for or executed vary well. I ended up running around like a fool once the job started. I forgot everything. I had to pull that plastic out the bottom of the garbage can once the squeeze out started coming. I had to go find the notched spreaders I ordered. Then I had to go raid my wife's kitchen for vinegar because I, un-knowingly stepped in a huge squeeze out spot. Then like an idiot I walked on her wood floor with my shoes on. Didn't see that until I had to go find an old shirt or two to use as rags for the full cup of resin that slipped right out my epoxy soaked, gloved hand. Sure glad my wife was out having lunch with her mother through all that. And to top it off I was frantic the entire time. I was sure the epoxy was going to set and I'd end up needing to place another order for two more pieces of 1/2" ply. To my neighbors I'm sure I looked like "Mr Bean". :lol:

I agree, the wood flour was a bit of a bear to scoop in the bag so I'll probably be re-using those "numbered" containers as well.

Today I plan on cutting and gluing the stringers but first I have to go buy plenty of rags and plastic. 8)
Jeff

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

The plan of having the stringers cut and glued yesterday didn't happen. It was a cold, dreary and rainy day so pretty much nothing got done on the boat. Tonight my circular saw crapped out and I'm pretty sure the missing teeth on the blade means I need a new one of those too. :lol: All I was able to get done before the saw came apart was cut out a couple of the stringer pieces. But it's progress none the less.

The transom came out the plastic wrap and clamps today. As soon as the stringers are complete we'll be ready to mount it on the strongback.

Today was garden prep day anyhow. My wife and I started our garden tasks by putting seeds in the germination trays and planning our raised bed configuration for the growing season. Tonight I'm going to do some drawing in preparation for a new saw blade tomorrow and my wife says tomorrow is a boat building day, ALL DAY! We'll see about that.
Jeff

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Yesterday and last night were productive in spite of the rain. Stringers cut out, pre-coated and glued on the strongback "platform". Today will be bottom and side panel prep and hopefully cut day.
The glue up of the two stringers took me and George Killian a lot longer than I expected. Maybe I'll give him a shout later this evening.
This round with the epoxy went much better than the transom. Nothing on the floor this time. All because of preparation.

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Long story short this form was cut out of a sacrificial piece of 1/2 inch ply and then I decided to go ahead and use the Merranti ply. So this shot is proof that thinking ahead a little pays off. On this sheet of ply the nesting diagram has this form sort of wrapping around one of the transom forms right in a corner. Well I cut out the transom and didn't draw nor cut this one out so I had to draw it three times to get all of it on the ply. Then I had to fill in the gap where the transom was so I could get the required camber right. Also when I cut out the transom I continued through the corner on both sides so I wouldn't have to use the handsaw. Well that created two cuts over the casting deck line onto this form.
Nothing too difficult but it was a pain.
All that to say it's never too early to start thinking ahead.

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Another productive day today. After a little light cleaning up with a Sure Form tool for the larger epoxy runs and then a block plane to make them more uniform, the stringers are ready to be mounted.
Bottom panels were cut out and dry fit.
This is a long boat. Seeing the bottom panels next to my 4 door Toyo is an eye opener to the actual size of this beast and the overall length is still another two feet and a few inches longer than that. Sure not looking forward to sanding all of it.
pre-coated
and the first side is glassed on both panels.

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

Hi Biscuit - that's looking good. Good momentum. :D
And its good to see you have hand planes. They do come in handy. 8)
She's a big boat - according to Larry, sanding is therapeutic.....not so sure about that. Are you intending to use quickfair?
Just one note - if you do replace a tool(power or not) replace it with the best you can afford.
Are you using Acetone to clean your brushes? My composite supplier sold me a water soluble brush cleaner. Very cool stuff. I'll post a pic of the container. I was even able to revive those brushes that has gone a bit hard at the top....
Cheers,
Antonie
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there