Fiberglass Tape for FL 14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Alpin
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fiberglass Tape for FL 14

Post by Alpin »

Hello All,

Can standard biaxial cloth be cut into stripes and used instead of fiberglass tape? If yes, what can be done to prevent fraying of the edges? Thanks in advance...

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Fiberglass Tape for FL 14

Post by pee wee »

The tape I've used was coarsely sewn along the edges to keep it from unraveling. I suppose the process would be to mark the sheet of biaxial fabric into proposed strips, sew inside both edges of each strip, and then cut into tape. I don't know what your options are, but my choice is to buy the tape!
Hank

Alpin
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alpin »

Thanks very much Hank. Unfortunately the FG tapes that I've found are narrower and weaker than the required ones. So it looks like I have to cut my own strips... Still looking for a more suitable solution...

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Hi Alpin
Yes to the biax cloth cut into strips. It is pretty heavy.
I recommend a trip to the local sewing store ask for a rolling fabric cutter and some extra blades.
put the cloth on a flat level surface and roll away. I have never worn out one of the cutters but have never cut a lot of fabric either. Scissors work but it tends to be a rough cut.
mark

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Can standard biaxial cloth be cut into stripes and used instead of fiberglass tape?
Yes, I often do that with left over pieces. Fiberglass tape starts out in 50"wide rolls and is cut to 5 1/2" tape from that. Doesn't matter much if you do it or a machine at the factory does it.
If yes, what can be done to prevent fraying of the edges? Thanks in advance...
Actually, you want the edges to be frayed, it helps a lot with the fairing.Those hard factory cut edges are harder to fair than a hand cut ragged edge. Either way you have to sand them out to a feather edge before fairing.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Alpin
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Alpin »

Thank you all folks. Your responses are very helpful for me...