Page 1 of 1

some coloring inconsistencies

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:45 am
by DB Michel
Hello,

I have applied a second coat of Sterling top coat today but I still have some coloring inconsistencies, every where where I applied new paint with the roller there is a difference in color then the previous spot I painted.

Does anyone knows how I can prevent this ?

I tried to take a picture but you don't see it, to much reflection.

Thanks

Re: some coloring inconsistencies

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 am
by jacquesmm
Do you mean difference between two paint cans or from the same?

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:57 pm
by DB Michel
From the same can, but the difference in color is where I start with the roller . so every time I load the roller I put some new paint (2inch) on the previous paint that is brushed and after brushing the new load it remains different at the starting point.

I hope you understand , it's a bit difficult explaining .

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:18 pm
by Cracker Larry
Sterling takes several days to fully cure. The colors will probably even out over time.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:33 pm
by DB Michel
Mmmmm probably keeps me a wake ,Larry

Let's hope you are right.

will give it a light sand and apply a 3 coat . :roll:

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:35 pm
by pee wee
I haven't used Sterling, but based on my other painting experiences I'd think it is flashing off too quickly- is there an additive recommended that would give more working time?

Different animal, but with lacquers you sometimes need to go to a slower evaporating thinner to get the right finish. :?:

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:19 pm
by DB Michel
I 've used the sterling brushing reducer and thinned it 35% ,maybe for the next coat I thinned it some more .

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:10 pm
by pee wee
DB Michel wrote:I 've used the sterling brushing reducer and thinned it 35% ,maybe for the next coat I thinned it some more .
I see the manufacturer says reduce 10% to 33% (another souce said up to 35%) for brush/roll application, don't think I'd try more reducer . . . is the weather there hot? Very dry? They say it works best between 21 and 29 degrees. I don't see an Awlgrip retarder offered for roll/brush application, the T0031 should be slow enough. Working by yourself not to roll more than 6 sq. feet(~1/2 sq. meter) before tipping with brush . . .

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:57 pm
by Aripeka Angler
I have painted Sterling on 3 different boats.
Especially if you are using a color other than white, you may be seeing the primer on the first coat.
Be patient, it will be evenly colored by the third or fourth coat :)

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:23 pm
by jacquesmm
Yes, that maybe it.
It takes many coats to have a deep constant color. Nothing wrong, it doesn't take much paint per coat. I remember Joel painting the FS12 prototype with it and it took 4 coats before the color became uniform.
4 coats but less than a quart of paint total.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm
by Cracker Larry
Yes, it's very thin paint and takes multiple coats. I've never thinned it more than 10%.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:59 am
by DB Michel
I applied the 3 coat and it is already better , I hope a 4 coat will cover everything even .

I have one more question about the thinning part, in the tutorial about "Roll and Tip"
there is written that thinning 35% is "dead on" but there is also an example that says 2 ; 1 ;1 ratio .

So you could thin up to 50% ?

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:38 am
by Aripeka Angler
I thinned about 20% on the red boat.
It was 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the shop when I painted it.
50% is too much thinner in my opinion.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:08 am
by tech_support
a spot with two coats (from the same can) will look different thatn a spot with one coat - it has to do with the film thickness. Bright colors take more film thickness to achieve color uniformity. The red stripe on my runabout took 3 pretty heavy coats, the white on the sides took only two thin coats.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 am
by pee wee
DB Michel wrote:I have one more question about the thinning part, in the tutorial about "Roll and Tip"
there is written that thinning 35% is "dead on" but there is also an example that says 2 ; 1 ;1 ratio .

So you could thin up to 50% ?

The way I read it 2:1:1 would mean 50% paint, 25% catalyst, and 25% reducer :)

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:13 am
by tech_support
50% is too much, there woudl never be a need for that anyway.

The way I read it 2:1:1 would mean 50% paint, 25% catalyst, and 25% reducer
that's right..... you can go as high as that 2 part color, 1 part activator, 1 part reducer :)

Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:49 am
by DB Michel
Ok , thanks for the help :)