Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by Salvatore »

G,day Karl, My Table is fixed, The AD16 has that extra cabin space to do that. I think that if you plan to sleep in your AD14 you might look at having it removable/fold-away.
Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thank you for posting all that information.
I am glad you enjoy the boat: small boat but great fun.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Salvatore,
I know you have got a small ss winch to pull up the centreboard and you have given me lots of info with good pictures how you installed this winch. I would like to ask you if you installed it from the word go or only installed it after you have sailed a couple of times and maybe found out that lifting it with a rope is too strenuous. I am still not sure if I should mount such a winch or not. Seeing that I have the centreboard still in the garage I will try lift it on one end with a rope maybe that helps me to decide if I need it or not.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl, I designed it that way from the start. I had a sailing boat many years ago that used a winch I liked the control it gave me when setting how deep in the water it was, I decided to do the same with my AD16. It takes up a tiny amount of space and I am happy I did. The question is will the loss of space be a issue for you in your AD14? The boat was designed without a winch, so lifting it should not be an issue. Also my first boat had a solid galvaned SB, my AD16 has a solid SS CB. From a previous post (I did do a little cheat when I was building my boat my CB is a solid slab of Stainless Steel, it weighs 70 kg, I got that idea from another boat design. I used a small 3to1 SS winch (cost AU $99) I crimped the cable at the right depth so I did not let the CB go down to far. it has worked extremely well for me. The winch does not get in my way and is a reminder not to forget to lift the CB when cumming ashore. I only have the winch handle on when using the winch.) from page 23 of this post.

To have an idea about space in your AD14 check out this youtube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZXpav52D8

There are more like this one in my Liked vids on my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK7N0Z ... w/featured

Pros:
easy to use
use sitting down
full control over how deep it goes

Con:
uses cockpit space
extra thing that needs maintenance

Regards
Salvatore Nizeti

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

Hi guyes,
I have been away for a while but back now for the first time in 2 years i fineley felt well enough to get my boat out and go sailing a little touch up on the paint after 2 years under a tarp but it all worked out well enough had a few good days on it so now i can get back to it and just have fun.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Welcome back, das boot!
As usual we'd love some photos. :D
Tony

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

das boot, welcome back to the forum!!! Jeff

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi George,
Welcome back it is nice to hear from you. Next time you sail take a few pictures we would love to see your yellow :lol: submarine :lol: on the water or before you push her down the slip. I think there are only 2 pictures in the Bateau forum of You steering the boat , all the others are from when You built it. I had a good look at all the pictures you posted and there comes up a question: Did you weld 2 short stumps to the sides of your trailer near the end of it to push longer plastic pipes over them to guide you onto the trailer at the slip ? As we are on your thread I would like to ask you Salvatore the same question, or is it easy for you to aim into the middle of the trailer while it is submerged at the slip ?
And thanks for the explanations about the centreboard winch. I am still undecided. Most probably the first splashing will have no winch mounted for lack of time to mount one.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I do not know how to post the pictures on the site so I sent Karl a few of them via Email.
As for the trailer posts the trailer was built to hall my sea ray around and there were guid posts to line it up on the trailer however the sail boat was wider and those posts were steel so i cut them off and used 3 inch plastik sour pipe from the hardware store cut it to whit i needed I heated it with a torch to bend it at the angle I wanted and stuck them over the left over stubs of the poles I had cut off. It works well there is some give and they do not scratch the finish on the boat simple is good. Let me know if you get the pictures ok.
You can see in the pictures again I used PCV piping to hold the back of the mast while traveling that pipe clips into the ruder brackets. to hole the back of the mast I also made one for the front of the mast that fits into the mast hole in the deck that holds the front of the mast in place.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

on my center keel i was looking for a way to hold it up while on the road i did not like the idea of using a dowl so i drilled a hole through the cox and the keel retracted and installed a 1/4 in ss pipe through the whole thing once epoxy was set i cut the pipe between the keel box and the keel on booth sides as close to the keel as i could then once lowered i was able to use a file to smooth out the inside of the keel box. I have a cable i had mounted in the top of the keel it is around a foot long and has a loop in it that i slide a short chunk of pipe through to use as a handle to pull the keel up then i slide a bolt through the hole i put in earlier and put a nut on it for travel this has worked well for me for a number of years it only takes around a 25-30 pound pressure to pull it up with one hand. I can get you pictures of that in the next few days