Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by Salvatore »

bondo wrote:Das Boot, the old girl looks good. Yours was the first AD I saw. Salvatore, the pictures are great. The view of the cockpit from the transom looks very inviting. I think the companionway sides being parallel with the seat-backs is a nice touch. I noticed a modified sole. A lower level just inside the cabin. What are your plans for this and how did you build it?
The lower level just inside the cabin is so a can put a porta-potti on one side low enough so I won't hit my head on the cabin ceiling, I modified the other side so I can install a small map table for cooking, etc. The stringers in that section was cut lower and strengthen with a layer of bi-axial tape.
Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I did something the same for the potty and placed my battery on the other side to balance it I have a small solar panel on the beck beside the hatch that keeps my battery up it works fine. Put a coat of wax on the old girl today it will not make it faster but the red is a lot brighter. thanks for posting the pictures I will try photobucket to see if I can get it working

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Very nice Salvatore. The blue with the natural bright work would look really sharp. I was planning on keeping my portable in a drawstring mesh type bag. I think It will be easy to lift out of storage and place inside the cabin. Lifting it by the excess bag length. Same to lower it back down and store underfoot. (it works great in my imagination) I would like to see pictures of these mods if you guys have them. Makes it fun for others to plan how they would build theirs. Really interested in a table/galley area. With two small cleats on the seat risers and your flat/level centerboard opening you could do a removable, drop-in bridge deck/seat. It would keep the splash out and be a level seat for motoring?

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

I am going to try a make a flat cb section in cabin as a seat, don't know if it will work. There is a lot more space in ad16 cabin than there is in other boats her size, and the other plans show all sorts of inclusions that don't work in reality. I have modified a 3d image of what my boat will look like hopefully.

Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

it looks good one mistake among the many I made in building my boat 1-my bow sprit should have been tilted up slightly 2. your idea of making the keel box into a seat is good one thing I found is that the step from the soal into the cabin floor through the hatch is quite a step we tend to use the top of the portable john as a step so if you do not make it a seat make it into a step. Trying to use the top of the keel box as a step is not a good idea I have slipped off of it a few times. And yes while I thought I thought of every thing I even put in a removable part of the cabin floor to make a foot well while using the john I forgot that the aft bulkhead slops forward while it works one needs to sit hunched over to match the bulkhead so we mainly use it as a step. Nothing is perfect

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Das boot & Bondo, How do you guys lift your cb? I was going to use a winch but on Bondos boat I caint see one.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

When I built my keel I put a SS eye bolt with 2 nuts on it into he top of the keel with the eye exposed then put a small SS cable through it with a eye at the top end of he cable it is about 1 ft long/ to lift the keel I slide a short piece of 1/2 inch conduit through the loop this I use as a handle to pull it up while holding it up with one hand I slide a 1/4 bolt through a hole through the keel box through the keel and out the other side of the keel box and put a nut on it to lock it up for transport. I had to reinforce the hole through the keel and keel box as I found ir was getting out of shape after the second year so I put a brass tube through the whole thing and glassed it into place then cut the tube on each side of the keel inside of the keel box then with the keel lowered I was able to smooth it out using a file it works fine and I have no problem lowering or rasing the keel and when needed it is easy to replace the cable. you need to put in a pin to hold the cable when the keel is down so the cable dose not go down and jam the keel I just slide the travel bolt through the lifting eye that works for me

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Salvatore,

I follow the build of your boat since May 2014 and I admire the speed with which you put it together and besides that you also think out all the problems of an Adelie builder like the loo position and now the lifting of the centerboard. I am also busy thinking this thru but you are short before the realisation since you not only build but also think faster than me.
I think you want a purchase in the lifting of the centerboard and thats why you thinking of a winch to do the work.
I built into the keel a 1 1/2 inch hole with a 3/8 inch pipe to the top.

I want to put a block into this hole and work then with 2 cables coming up to the top and then have a handle like George
( das boot ) has done it. I believe a lot in what he is saying, because he is sailing das boot fo a couple of years.

All the best for finishing your Adelie ( I think before christmas this year )

Greetings from Karl

( not down under, but Upper Austria ; You see one can build an Adelie in a country not surrounded by the sea. )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl, thankyou for your kind words. I am not sure a block is such a good idea, you get all sorts of stuff floating around the CB and CBcase, if the block gets stuck it could course you lots of problems. What george has is a simple eyebolt at the top of the CB that is easy to get at and does not get jammed up. I could be wrong. Put in a new thread and ask Jacques if it will be an issue.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

After Karl mentioned that he was interested in the boats progress, I have a quick update. I have turned the boat over and started working on the hull I have done this before she got to heavy, I have installed two pulleys in the ceiling so it is very easy for me to roll her over I had decided to turn her completely over so I can install the keel and make sure it is on level I also wanted to glass the keel all around in one go for added strength. I have added the extra section to the keel so that I can easerly roll her onto the boat trailer. I have glassed and sanded the hull she is now ready for me to start filling.
Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.