Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Bondo & George & Karl, I noticed this post in another topic, Could you please point me to the info on how the pully on the end of the bow sprit is setup? Also I hope your hand is getting better, I suffer from arthritis in my thumbs, it can be so painfull and restricting.

"Hi Bondo, How is your hand I hope it is healing summer is at hand I finely got my boat out today I copied the way you put a pulley on the end of your bow sprit and it worked out well I was able to lower it and pull it into the cabin from the open hatch it was real windy so I am glad it worked I did not need to go on deck. Now all I need to do is modify the main I will do that before
the next trip."

Picture of cradle I built for my AD16
Last edited by Salvatore on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I built the bow sprit per plan. (plastic mock up shown)
Cam cleats with fair leads for this setup.
The sprit adds about 4 1/2' length.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi all,

Thankyou for the picks Bondo & George (picture from george added below). I love the look of your boat Bondo, It looks like it was pushed out of a mould, her lines are so sharp and perfect, I know now the work involved in building one of these boats, and I have only just begun. George, on your boat do you not run the jib on the forestay anymore and run it seperatly up and over the pully like Bondo's boat? Do you get slacking on the forestay cable if you pull the jib cable tight, I have always clipped my jib to the forstay, If the leading edge of the jib is not realy tight will it not flap when sailing to windward or am I wrong on this point.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

yes I ran it on the for stay but the problem was that I had to go on the deck to release it my jib has a cable that runs through it so it can run by without hooking it to the for stay this way I can lower it and pull it into the cabin without going out on deck to release it from the end of the bow sprit. It can get tricky out on the deck getting to the end of the bow sprit. This might not be a problem for you or bondo with the retracting bow sprit but it was a problem for me as I got older. This worked well on its first run last week as I had to drop and stow the sales in a high wind I was glad I made this mod. The wind was strong enough that the boat just would not turn on the ruder the wind caught the high bow and around we went we had to start the motor and point into wind to get the sales down.
I wonder how much problem you are going to have trying to pull the bow sprit in under load it might jam up in the process food for thought. The system Bondo is running will allow him like me to pull the foot of the jib in then simply lower it and stow it in the cabin. I have a few pictures of mine under sail that I will send you I think they were taken before I added the bow sprit the jib was simply hooked to the bow but it was always fighting for air that is why I added the bow sprit.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Actually the bowsprit is more like yours, if you go back to page 2 of this thread you will see a drawing of what I want to do, that is why I wanted to know about the way you have your jib setup. I have a hole in the bow to take a bowsprit, unfortunately I Can't leave it in as my garrarge is not long enough to do so.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

That being the case if you can use a cable through the leading of the sail and not hook it to the forward stay you would work fine if you run the sail clips of the bow stay then you still need to go on deck to release them. The way mine is now working I simply stand in the hatch way release the one ropr pull the foot back into the cabin and then lower the sail into the cabin it works well.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Here are two latest pictures of my boat.
Last edited by Salvatore on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

Are you putting a second hatch in the open part of the deck?

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

YES, :D I worked out a way to do it, The main larger hatch is a bit higher and wider than the smaller hatch. The smaller hatch will slide under the bigger one, the smaller one will have perspex on it for light. I had to sacrifice a little bit of length on the main one. The reason I can do this is because the cabin floor is lower in the first part of the cabin + I am shorter than most and it is easy for me to go under then up via the smaller hatch, this way i can easerly reach the mast. A taller person (6ft or more) may find in a little hard to use.
Last edited by Salvatore on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Salvatore, Yes I put 4 lockable wheel under my building frame like Bondo suggested and it is very necessary in my cramped shed I have only 40 cm on each side of the boat and because of the carpeted floor I can push the whole thing with one hand from side to side. I have a question about Your sprit fitting : What is that spring underneath the pully for ?
Greetings Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433