Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by das boot »

You are moving forward quickly with your build just a thought if you are going to do any finish painting on the inside or in the birth area do it the way Bondo did it while it is still opened up. I was in to much of a rush to see the hull finished on the outside then had to clime into the birth area later to finish those areas. The end result of that was epoxy in my hair and a ton of sanding dust in my lungs not smart. Do it like Bondo did. How are you going to mount your bow sprit?
I did mine using metal plats to match the bow shape and bolted them on after welding them in shape I have a stub pipe out the front welded on to the plats and my bow sprit slides into that stub pipe so by pulling a pin I can remove it Easley however I just leave it in place. But I found it needed to be their I sailed it a few years without the bow sprit and found my jib was not getting enough clean air so I pit it on it works fine now. The seat backs work well and it keeps the beer from going over the side HaHa. I do not drink I made them into open storage to keep all the junk in they work well for that. Do not forget to put some scuppers in their to let the water drain.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Good work with the pictures. Like Das Boot I love seeing all the different mods everyone adds. I like how the absence of cabin "wings" works with the seat backs. Looks good. Is the cockpit floor height/self draining per plan? There is so much volume in the AD boats isn't there? This is great stuff Salvatore. More pictures are always appreciated.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Ad16 is a most excellent design, The more I work on her the more fun she is, I am greatfull to forum members who freely shared their boat construction process, it has made it so much easier for me. And to think I nearly chose the Hartley16 design. I never realized that a hard chine boat could look so good, thank-you Jacques.

I was thinking of doing as much of the work as possible before putting the berth top on, you have convinced me to do it Bondo style. I put the bow sprit pipe in last night. (Pictures below) I was going to make my bowsprit out of Australian Hardwood it is a very hard and flexible timber, it would slide into the pipe and held in with a pulling pin. Do you have a picture of your bowsprit that I can see for ideas? also how long is the bowsprit on your boat. since it works I would like to do the same. The cockpit area does slope back as per plan and I wont forget the scuppers thankyou.
Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The plans show the tube off to the side. How are you going to install the forestay fitting now? Saddle type straps?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

This is what I want to to do, I have looked at other boat designs and believe this will work, I really would like a jib that will work to windward I looked at other boat plans and they all look like they come out of the past. I wanted a boat that I could sail myself with just the mainsail and one that could have a jib as well so that I could gain that extra push in light winds. AD16 was the closest I could get to meeting my needs. I am very great-full for any input I know that what I paid for the plans is next to nothing for the service I have already received.
Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

You will get a lot of compression pushing the sprit "in" so you would want extra reinforcement around the tube at the "pin". I had wondered about the halyard acting as the forestay. You could use a wire luff jib. Per plan, the bow sprit is something like 4'-5' out from the bow so it might flex too much for a jib? Remember, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

looking good I put my bow sprit out 3.5 feet from the bow and my forward stay runs to the tip of it the jib also runs up and down the stay. I put no bracing cables on it it is just a piece tubing and it works fine he only thing it is slightly to long even in a light wing 8 mph it can quickly over power the rudder I think I am going to shorten it by 6 inches and see if that helps. I would like to post pictures if someone can tell me of an easy way to do it. if not send me your email and I can send them that way. My Email George@mkysecurity.com

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Pushed Ad16 out into the sunlight today

Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Last edited by Salvatore on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Das Boot, the old girl looks good. Yours was the first AD I saw. Salvatore, the pictures are great. The view of the cockpit from the transom looks very inviting. I think the companionway sides being parallel with the seatbacks is a nice touch. I noticed a modified sole. A lower level just inside the cabin. What are your plans for this and how did you build it?