Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by Salvatore »

Yes it did, :D I have friends who could get the laser cutting done cheep but it still cost a bomb 8O (AU $600) I still consider it a great investment, it is 10mm thick I did the fairing of the edges. It is so easy to damage a CB and I did not want to spend hours on end repairing CB damage and it is hard to get to after it is installed. I like to beach my boat so it seamed prudent to me. It has worked well and put more ballast weight deep into the water.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Salvatore,
Thank you for the good pictures of your seat and winch for the centre board. I will copy both exactly like you have it.
My plywood centreboard was not too difficult to build, I just had the problem that it was my first build of something like this and then one is rather clumsy. If I should ever build a new one I wont make the mistakes of the first one which were a rather poor routing jig to get the form and I did not support the bottoms properly of the 3 holes I poured lead into. The liquid ead went thru my flimsy alu plate underneath and I had to chisel it away after it was hard.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

D,day Karl, I found that the top of the CB case was not thick enough to take a row of SS skrews so I mounted it as image below, you may find a better way or some of the readers may know a better way to do it.

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I to have damaged my keel putting it up on the beech one way to cut down the damage is to have an old chunk of indoor outdoor carpet and drape it from the bow so that as you run up on the beech it goes under the boat

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

das boot wrote:... have an old chunk of indoor outdoor carpet and drape it from the bow so that as you run up on the beech it goes under the boat
Ummm, I'd sure like to see a video of that maneuver. My offhand guess is that it is not as easy as it sounds. :D
Tony

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

It did work but it was a pain I took the easy way and bought a cheep inflatable and a 12 VDC air pump now I just put out the hook just off shore and go ashor with that our beaches up here are not sand but more gravel I have had to repair the keel a few times as well as the keel box on the bottom. Not a fun job as you get older.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,

I just read your answer about glassing the outside of our boat and you are right it needs to be glassed up to the gunwale.

Did you really put the glass over the gunwale on your boat ( overlapping the tape of deck and sidepanel ) ?

And while I am at it, I ask you also this:

Why did you put your boat completely upside down to install keel + shoe, fibre glass and painting ? I have to do this work soon and I am in doubt if I should put the boat on its side and then on the other side like in the building notes or if I should do it like you did only in an upside down position ? What was the advantage for you doing it like this ?

Greetings from Karl who is often watching your video to push me forward.

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl,

Quote: "Did you really put the glass over the gunwale on your boat ( overlapping the tape of deck and sidepanel ) ?"

YES I did, and I am happy I did. When my boat takes a hard knock I fear no evil :D

Quote: "Why did you put your boat completely upside down to install keel + shoe, fibre glass and painting ?"

What I did was not to the schedule , but It made sense to me to tip it upside down so that I could do all the bottom and sides at once without having to move it side to side. The Keel is not so heavy that you cannot do it this way. I was able to build my keel housing easerly in place as I had gravity to help me. I laid the layers that make up the keel insitue. It was also easy for me to glass the bottom and sides in that position, it also removed an overlap of glass from bottom to sides. I was able to do a full chemical bond on the whole bottom and sides of the boat without having to sand the overlapping areas. I did the fairing all in one go. (Then I spent many days sanding it 8O that was a lot of hard work) I was able to do the Royal Blue paint all in one go. It looked to me from pictures I saw of other AD16s and AD14s under construction that it was a lot of effort rolling it from side to side I can understand having to do it that way on a bigger boat. I have seen other 16ft boats done my way So it was not something new that I was attempting. I did have a few friends to help me roll it. This is how I rolled the boat over then back again.

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the quick answer. I will definitely put my boat upside down like you did for the reasons you mentioned especially moving the hull only once for the work at bottom and sides. Do you mean by chemical bond that you put the tapes along the chines, the glass of the bottom and the sides wet on wet within 24 hours ?
Greetings from Karl

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

gonandkarl wrote:Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the quick answer. I will definitely put my boat upside down like you did for the reasons you mentioned especially moving the hull only once for the work at bottom and sides. Do you mean by chemical bond that you put the tapes along the chines, the glass of the bottom and the sides wet on wet within 24 hours ?
YES I wanted the hull to be as strong as possible. Make doubly sure you have everything ready to go, resin,glass, tools, etc. It would be a good idea to have someone help you that day, have one person making resin and rolling it on and another spreading glass and pressing it down. This makes for a very strong hull. Pay very close attention to the inside of CB case, I ended up with a little hole in the glass inside the case.

If you are going to lift the boat the same way I did, make sure the knots in the ropes that goes around the boat is on the side of the large pulley wheels you are turning the boat away from. You will need two wheels one near the bow and one near the stern. the larger the wheels the better. Have plenty of bricks, blocks of wood to rest the upside down boat on.

On another point concerning the glassing of the gunwale (gun rail :D :D ) because I changed the bench design and created a backrest I needed it to be stronger, The way the designer did it is naturally stronger to begin with and you only need to follow his design instructions
Regards Salvatore
Building Angalina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk