Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Salvatore,

As I am very close to turn my boat upside down like you did the more problems arise in my head. I want to put it upside down on my existing rectangular building frame, so I have to support it with temporary cross frames out of wood across the deck and benches area. I want to be able to move it in the room together with the building frame ( has wheels ) a bit to have more work place for the side I am busy with.

You said:
Have plenty of bricks, blocks of wood to rest the upside down boat on
Can you tell me how you supported it and did you do it exactly at frame positions ( A B C D T ) and if so at which ones. I cannot see on your pictures what you had underneath. Did you also protect the deck with pieces of carpet at these supports ?

I think I should not think so much about it, rather just flip it and have old car tyres at the ready like Jacques once suggested.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Salvatore will reply but yes, the supports must be at the frames, 2 minimum.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl, I supported it at four points along the length of the boat, you can't see this from the youtube video because the supports are underneath, I was able to do this because the cabin top was not put on and the supports go from the garage floor to the cabin floor and cockpit floor. I took the rolling frame away and did not use it any longer I wanted the boat to be as close to the floor as possible because I wanted to be able to walk on the upside down boat. this made the glassing, filling, sanding easier :roll:

When rolling the boat back again stop halfway and install your CB as per instructions provided with your plans. When I had rolled my boat back upright I placed it directly onto the trailer. That was the hard part done, the remainder was fun and games. :D

Regards Salvatore
Building Angalina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for the explanations for the flip. I definitely turn it completely upside down like you did. I am busy building 2 boxes like glossieblack ( also from down under ) which will support frame A and B and the bigger box will support frame D and T. As I have painted the top already I must be very careful not to damage the lot again, so I am using styrofoam wrapped in old linen between the support boxes and the boat.
Yes I want to water the boat next spring something like May 2017. I hope this is realistic, if I only could work as fast as you did. I am pondering too much about every building step.
Can you sail in Australian Winter or do You sail only in the other seasons ?
Greetings from Karl

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, is in a Sub-Tropical zone, many people go sailing all year round,there has been many a winter day that I have been down to my t-shirt. That being said the water is cold from around June, July, August and September. When putting the boat in and out of the water it can be unpleasant. I don't go sailing during this time. I am your classic fair weather sailor :D .

The water ways of the New South Wales coast of Australia is paradise for six months of the year, and an English summer in the winter. I came to Australia when I was 3 years old, I love this country, the people are kind, generous and always ready to help, If I need help with the boat on the ramp people are always ready to assist, In all my years I can count on one hand the times people have been mean and rude to me.

Regards Salvatore
Building Angalina

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

G,day all,

I have created a small YouTube video of my AD16 sailing in 15knot winds, with the mainsail only, it was a great deal of fun as it powered along in the water and when hit with a 20 knot gust it did not become unsafe or uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdbcyMIeJhI

Regards Salvatore

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice vids, and Pittwater(?) looks great. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Pittwater is north of Sydney, Australia on the east coast and is part of Sydney metro area

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
I just watched your nice sailing video near Sydney. I am looking forward to sail my Adelie this Year. I have one question about your outboard Tohatsu. Have you got a long or short shaft version ? I am asking because most lifting brackets can lift the motor about 30 to 35 cm ( about one foot ) and your motor looks rather high whilst sailing. Did you mount a standard motor bracket with the mentioned lift
height ? I am starting off with my longshaft electric motor ( MinnKota C20 ) which I could just use attached to the transom but would have to lift up and remove the rudder whilst using it there. That is why I want to mount a motor bracket like you did and dont know where to mount it that it will later on also work for a small Tohatsu like yours.
Greetings from Karl ( snowy and icy Austria )

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl, I have been watching the progress on your boat it is really starting to look the part now, looking forward to seeing it on the water.

Concerning the motor and bracket, mine is a short shaft 3 1/2 horse power motor the long shaft are more expensive, and does not change the distance between up an down position. The swing bracket is a standard type with a max 25kg weight load I think the drop is about 35cm, I am happy with the position of the bracket. When looking at the pictures you will notice that I placed it lower, at first in the top picture I had it too high, it is in the right position to clear the water when not in use and be at the correct depth when down. I don't use the motor to steer, I lock it in place and use the rudder

I am a little concerned about you trusting the little electric motor to get you out of trouble, the AD14 high bow and sides and rigging creates a lot of wind resistance. I have needed the full 3 1/2 HP to get my AD16 out of trouble. The reason I did not go for a bigger motor was I wanted a motor that had its own fuel tank I did not want the issue of a tank rolling around in the cockpit. Please think carefully about your power needs and maybe ask some of the people on the "FORUM" for advise
Bracket was to high :(

Bracket in correct position :D