Port Aransas plyWooden Boat Festival

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Port Aransas plyWooden Boat Festival

Post by Mad Dog »

[quote AtTheBrink]Mad Dog, thank you so much for telling me about this show and I am sorry we didn't get to go fishing[/quote]

Not to worry. We will fish. Dougster made it my mission to learn all your secrets so we can do the pot licker thing on you. :lol:

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Mad Dog wrote:
jacquesmm wrote:Yesterday, saw MD leaving with the LB22 just when I came in.
Just don't tell Dougster it was me who made off with his boat. :D

MD. :wink:

Still confused. I mix up real names, usernames and boats related to them.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Mad Dog wrote:
Mad Dog, thank you so much for telling me about this show and I am sorry we didn't get to go fishing
Not to worry. We will fish. Dougster made it my mission to learn all your secrets so we can do the pot licker thing on you. :lol:

Fishing the the old "bent rod pattern" eh Chuck? 8O
That's fine by me, stay in touch and we we'll go catch some fish! 8)
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

jacquesmm wrote:It was nice to meet many TX builders. Yesterday, saw MD leaving with the LB22 just when I came in.
I took some pictures of details but nothing worth posting.

Yes, the Farley Boatworks crew loved our boats and they may adopt some of our methods. Same for John Welsford. I may design a boat in the style of the Farley outboard for budget minded builders.
I also have some exciting news in areas but must fine tune the details before making an announcement.
All together, great week-end meeting great builders (that FS18 was worth the trip) and good contacts with other designers and the Everglade Challenge people.
Wow! Thanks for the compliment on the FS18 Jacques!

That Farley guys were sure fun to talk to. I am going to drag my boat over to their shop sometime in the next couple weeks. Curlee is really interested in it, so is the Harbor Master (I forgot his name, I am horrible about that), he has the green Farley center console withe the mahogany poling platform.

It was a great time all weekend. Thanks for everything guys!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Everyone's said it all. We were having too much fun to remember to take pics :oops: I have one emailed to me that I can't get uploaded to photobucket to post. Thanks to Jacques for coming and being so friendly to all of us. He's real good company. Mike's boat is a jewel, you can see he's had mucho hours on the skinny water chasing fish. Every detail on the boat is there for a purpose. Wish I'd had more time to visit with my nearby neighbor, Cannonball, but he was pretty busy with that little one :D Boats were every where, guys were all friendly, Jacques had good stories, the day had wings.

About mid afternoon MadDog couldn't stand it and grabbed a rod out of his truck to throw what I call a tout off the rocks there at the marina. Ten minutes and he catches a pretty little 14" trout, right there in the midst of it all! It was that kind of day. UncleD showed up with wife and friends and the party kicked up. A bunch of us ended up eating dinner together that night. Shirley and I sneaked off alone later for a gelato. Life was kind.

The next day, on the ferry going home, some guy comes up and starts saying how he loves my boat, wants one, etc. We talked a minute and eventually discovered we went to high school together. He was on the football team that went to state my junior year. Me...well, I was on the tennis team :roll: Let's just say I wasn't dating the cheerleaders and he and I didn't run in the same circle. Still here we were, decades later, talking boats. He runs a bait shop in town and says he'll cut me a deal when I drop by next time :wink:

Had him a great time Dougster

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Might have gone more than 14". :?: It was a fat one too!

Ergo piscor, ergo sum

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Some pictures:
This is a Welsford design, the Scamp. Cleverly done: water ballast, balanced lug rig and many fine details. Very seaworthy for 12' long.

Cannon's FS18. He was there with his baby and promised to finish the boat soon.

The boat is painted white now, nice Benford live aboard.

The famous Bolger Folding Schooner.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The Goat Isalnd Skif by Mike Storer. Very clever design. I love his rudder set up.

There were many very small boats. I think this is the Mouse from Gavin Atkin,. he says nice thigns about my designs in his book, don't make fun of his little Mouse.

Mike's FS18, great finish.

Dougster LB22 attracted a lot of attention.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That house boat was amazing inside. He came all the way from Canada.
Protected waters only.

I can't remember the design name but everybody called it the Chevy. The headlights work!

This Tom Hill design won the best finish price. It was almost as nicely finished as Mike's FS18 but teh FS18 was at the dock and the judges didn't see it.
This little ultralight canoe was to pretty to ever use, it's the kind you hand on a wall.

Most of those boats were built with MarinEpoxy.

There were many more boats. I like most of the Farley boats but their best one is a 15' outboard skiff.
Not built the same way than our boats, they are very simple, use wood battens or boards as chines. Less glass, cheaper plywood. no stringers (that may be a problem) but inexpensive and the can be built faster since you don't have to wait as often for the epoxy to cure.
They are a little bit in the style of the Brockway skiff:

I may design something in that style for those who want to build a simple boat very quickly and accept the limitations: they will not last as long, not perform as well but you'll be on the water faster and for less.