Page 1 of 1

28 BERTRAM EXPRESS CONVERSION

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:22 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I have had this old 28 Bertram sitting around for 6 years. I started researching conversion and ended up on this site due to Daytrip's topic. I am planning a conversion to an express design with a hard top without a tower. My original intent was to convert to outboards but I am having second thoughts. My current boat is a True World Marine 28. It has a center mounted Yanmar 315 hp jackshaft to an outdrive. The boat previous to the TWM was the same setup. This is a great way to rig a boat. The economy is incredible at only 9 gph at 25 kts. I have not been able to find any post of a Bertram conversion to a single screw. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. The decision time will not be for a couple of months as the demolition will take place in the evenings and weekends. I will try to keep a photo library as we go along.

Re: 28 BERTRAM EXPRESS CONVERSION

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm
by jacquesmm
Joel is out of town and I will start the reply

From a design point of view, the weight distribution should be fine with a jackshaft engine assuming this will be an I/O.
There should be no problem to run the boat as a single screw.
I prefer twins because the props are protected.
I can give specs for the engine girders. We can also spec the fiberglass work on the transom. To take the thrust of the outdrive, we'll need to reinforce that transom. How about starting with some pictures once the demolition is done? That way we'll see exactly what you have.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:36 pm
by DAYTRIP
Hey Mbiggerstaff, I am doing mine as an express as well. I will post a cadd drawing of the concept elevation. Take a look at the post of the 258 mako project that I was doing.I thought of doing something like you are talking about with my old 28. I was looking at the 450 cummins in an inboard config. It was more cash then I was willing to put into it jack shafts are cool.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:37 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I have a Yanmar 6lp 370 hp that I can get at a reasonable price. My TWM has a 315 hp 6lp. I cruse at 25 knots and max out at 30. I know the Bert will be heaver and have more surface area in the water. Not sure 370 hp would be enough. Look forward to the cadds. Have added pix to album in gallery on this site, still trying to get them into this post. Working on Mac so instructions in read this first don't fit.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:01 am
by DAYTRIP
Couple thoughts. Let me know what you think

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:03 am
by DAYTRIP

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:40 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Got the pix thing figured out. Daytrip, thanks for the drawings. That is what I had in mind. Will get the top off and then decide on windows. Was hoping to keep front glass in some fashion to keep boat character and have side glass cut to express style. I have read that the split glass windshield leaked a LOT. Never had mine in the water so don't know. Got the boat safely to greenville , nc and got it cleaned up. Looks like a new boat.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:50 am
by DAYTRIP
Cool! I had a 28 before this one and no issues with window leaks. That one was a 73 so not sure I would let that woorry me. I am leveling the floor to one level on mine and based on that the floor hieght at the v-berth is level with the v berth seating/couch. with that in mind the windshield is below your eye level. i still like that idea as well but my family thinks it looks to old which means classic in my mind! If you have any adjustments or thoughts let me know. I can get them incorporated for looks. Drawings should be "scaled" or close anyways.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:44 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Got the cabin torn out and a trailer loaded for a trip to the dump later in the week. There sure was a lot of heavy plywood used back in the 70's.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:48 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:18 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks familiar! I had 900 lbs not counting decks and hatches. I thought it would be more. Are you leaving the engine deck as is or trying to level with cockpit?

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:01 am
by Mbiggerstaff
My plan is to lower the sole to the top of the old exaust ports, prob about 4 inches and level the floor to that height. If I read your post correctly that is about what you calculated. I want to get as much cockpit depth as possible. If I go with the single diesel I will have to raise the sole to accommodate that in the front part of the boat. That will be a good thing as the windshield is too low to be useful now and need to be raised. How hard was the glass to get out? How did you manage to get the old floor out where it attached to the hull on the sides? These are my projects for the week, work permitting.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:30 pm
by DAYTRIP
The glass was not hard if you are not trying to save the frame. There are just a series of screws in the channels that attach it. I had to use a sawzal to cut some of the screws loose. You will be shocked at how easy the deck flange comes away from the hull sides. Again the sawzal with a long blade run between the side and the flange. In most areas a little prying and it popped loose. Consider saving the flange and the section that runs horizontal to use as a new mount surface for the new sole. This allows you to glass that top and bottom then glass the floor to that. This also makes an integral gutter along the edge.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:12 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I am trying to save the glass frame for reuse maybe. 2 afternoons and I finally have all the screws out. What a pain. Ended up using a Dremmel to cut the heads off the screws along the front windshield. Have all screws removed so old roof is ready to lift off. Thinking I will use jacks to lift it up as I cut old sealant along glass. Maybe nothing will break. Any thoughts on the 370 hp option and performance?

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:45 am
by DAYTRIP
With an I/O I think it will be good. My guess based on the boat that OMC Did back in the day with 200 hp outboards you should get 45 mph out of it. Not sure how docking would be. My guess is no big deal. What do you do with the fuel?

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:24 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Daytrip, you were right about the sole edging coming out easy. I was amazed. Had to cut it in 2 pieces to get it out but I took your advice and set it aside. I have had two boats with a single diesel/outdrive combo. The first was a Tides. It had a Bravo outdrive with a single prop. It was a pain to dock. It had sadle tanks. Had to manually switch from one to the other to keep the load even. The current True World has a yanmar duo prop. It is easy to maneuver in tight quarters. Duo prop is definitely the way to go. The TWM has a "U" shape tank to allow for the jack shaft. The fuel sits it the belly like the old Bertram tank. The Tankage is 180 gallons which is enough for 2 easy trip for me in NC. Tank custom made somewhere in Florida. Will get name of supplier if I go that way. Will post some pix tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:09 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:10 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:32 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! Those engine stringer sisters are a real pain to get out! Grinder to cut bolts off was my trick. It is unreal how easy that flange comes out. Makes the case for epoxy.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:14 am
by jacquesmm
Mbiggerstaff wrote:Daytrip, you were right about the sole edging coming out easy. I was amazed.
That is what we call the secondary bond problem in polyester boats. It doesn't exist with epoxy.
In some cases, you can lift the tabbing from the hull with a chisel and it peels off.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Does anyone out there have any CADs for the 28 Beetram. Would like to do some modeling.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:08 pm
by DAYTRIP
I have an autoCad file of the profile that was made from a PDF that I scaled. Closes I can come up with. Never mapped the plan view

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:17 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Could I get a copy. It will be a place to start.

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:57 am
by DAYTRIP
Sure. What is your email?

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:46 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
mbiggerstaff@mac.com. Thanks. Mike

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:02 pm
by DAYTRIP
Hey Mike,

Just sent you the file. Sorry it took so long. :x

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:28 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks for the file. Could not open it but sent it to Paul who is helping with project. His son in marine engineering major. Got glass out today with frames. Nothing broken. Top is loose and ready to remove. Need a couple of strong young backs to get it off. Thinking of using it someway as a mold for my new hardtop. Lots of phone calls the past couple of days concerning power package. Looks like the yanmar 370 hp to new volvo penta outdrive made for the D6. Expected cruise 25-26 kts with top end of 32. Would like to go with a Konrad drive but they want 30k.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:32 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:44 am
by bigtalljv
check rib.net for a used Konrad drive, http://www.rib.net/forum/f47/konrad-520 ... 60838.html. They were standard on military ribs and they come up for sale occasionally. Not sure if that's what you are looking for. This one needs some other parts. There are also a couple RIB refurb guys in southern CA you might get in touch with.

Jason

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:54 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks for the info. This one is 520. I am looking for a duo prop edition either a 660 or 680.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:44 pm
by DAYTRIP
Wow, how did you get the bolts loose in those bridge posts? I figured the sawsall was going to take that off on mine

Not sure if you saw the hardtop I built for my buddy's boat but I would just build a temp mold or use the top skin of that top, recore it and glass the hatch opening closed. I had thoughts of that . Saves fairing but lots of demo :x

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:37 am
by Mbiggerstaff
The bolts in the bridge post fortunately rung off when I put a ratchet on them! To get the top loose, I used a bottle jack and a 4 x 4 cut to length. A little pressure and the 5200 gave way. I did that in all 4 corners of the top and raised it up a couple of inches to allow the screws on the windows to clear their holes.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 am
by DAYTRIP
Very good. This is a link to the hardtop biuld. If you were local I would give you the mold. I am about to cut it up.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58215

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 am
by DAYTRIP
Very good. This is a link to the hardtop biuld. If you were local I would give you the mold. I am about to cut it up.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58215

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:23 am
by Mbiggerstaff
I wish I was local as well. Hate to see the mold go. What is the "mica" that you used? Is there a source on this site that goes through the mold building process step by step?

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:34 pm
by DAYTRIP
Hey mike, the mica is just from a supply house the sells Formica brand . It is countertop 5'x12' gloss black. The dark color helps you see air in the lay up. I don't think there is anything that shows it but it is really straight forward. I am building one for my floor panels that will have less camber. I can take some photos for you. If you want me to talk thru it I would be happy to. I would build you a top if you wanted to make a road trip. :doh: let me clarify, you do all the fairing :!:

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:26 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks Jim. It makes more sense now. It's the little things in this site that are so great. I would love to see pix as you proceed. Paul and I are thinking about flipping the hull to repair the bottom (LOTS of blisters/holes in gel coat) in order to avoid sanding patching like Michaelangelo did. Several vids on YouTube. Any personal experience?

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:51 pm
by Cracker Larry
Any personal experience?
I worked in a yacht yard for a couple of years and half of our labor force at the time was spent repairing hull blisters in older boats. Grind them out, let them dry really good, fill with epoxy filler and coat the entire hull with epoxy to seal it. The gel coatings of that time period were awful for water absorption and hull blisters if a boat lived in the water.

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:40 am
by DAYTRIP
Larry is exactly right. On My last 28 I had the bottom paint ground off and there were lots of small blisters that I filled with epoxy then barrier coated the entire bottom with epoxy. Since then I have done it several times as have others on this site. On the 17 mako I recently finished I took the paint and gel coat off. On that one I added a new layer of glass but that was because the bottom was cracked in a couple spots. No need to do that on the Bertram. Once it was cleaned up I used epoxy with graphite. Joel sells that in the store here.

Flipping the hull makes things soooo much easier. I am going to do that with the Bertram as well. I am thinking of having the bottom soda blasted to remove the paint vs grinding. Cost about 1200 in our area. That's the only thing giving me pause. The bottom comes off really easy with a grinder and 36 grit disk but it is work. I am going to keep mine on a lift so the epoxy and graphite in the areas that will contact the lift, trailer and bottom then awlgrip everywhere else

If you have a lot of blisters and want the bottom fair then you will have to fill the blisters. My guess is cabosil would be the right filler ( mixed in the resign to a peanut butter consistency. Joel or Larry could confirm. Don't over fill cause it it tough to sand. Once you are close to level you could do a fairing coat with glass bubbles in epoxy. Then faired. It depends how perfect you care about the bottom being. In my case, if it is anti fouling paint going over it then I really don't care how fair it is, within reason. This is one of those opinion things and Joel or Larry would be more the authority. Absent that you could get a lot of thoughts 8O

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:43 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I had the bottom soda blasted before I brought it back to Greenville. It was about the same here. The hull is big and heavy. Any ideas on how to go about flipping it. I want to get the bottom finished after Christmas. It will be at its lightest point then. Has anyone ever seen a boat with a Hamilton Jet in it? Considering that as an option vs outdrive.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:06 am
by TRC886
I live nearby. If you need a hand, just holler. You can PM me through this site. 8)

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:53 am
by DAYTRIP
Hey Mike,

I was thinking of getting 2xs and building three trusses from port to starboard that would support the hull sides and tie to the stringers. Then roll it on the ground using equipment or chain falls to trees. Not real sure?? Did you get the hardtop off? Any photos?

I am taking off the next couple weeks so hope to get some good work done. Might build floor sections.

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:47 am
by Mbiggerstaff
After seeing how easy it is to build a hardtop mold from your earlier post, i decided to sacrifice the hardtop. I am going to cut it up and take it off in pieces today. Pix to follow. I found a steel A frame that I can use to flip mine. I will have to make an A frame for the front out of wood to attach to the bow to allow rotation and stabilization. After the flip, it is going back on the trailer and back to my house upside-down While it is off the trailer, I am going to run to a scale and weigh the trailer/truck combo then weigh it again on the way home with the hull on it. That will give us an empty hull weight to go on.

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:32 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:33 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Filename: Image

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:34 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:35 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
: Image

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:40 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Here is the topless Bertram. I love the lines. It is a great looking boat. I make a mock up of the engine and set it in to see what the cabin deck height will be. The plan is to move the engine forward to where it is now, prob another 12-18". She is ready to flip.

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:23 am
by tech_support
classic lines, Im really starting to like this idea for my next project :D

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:56 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Made another dump run today. 840 lbs. Total so far is 2100 lbs

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:19 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looking good. I took the hardtop off as well. Took it to the dump and it was 450lbs alone! Need to update my thread. When are you going to roll it over.

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:25 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Will roll first of next week, weather permitting. Getting A frame for front of boat built and set up, waiting for heavy duty straps and D rings from amazon. Plan on using GoPro to document......good or bad. Please post some pix of yours.

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:07 am
by TRC886
Have you figured out exactly how to flip it? I was catching up on this thread, and was reminded of the "rotisserie" method:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=70

I first saw it here:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... start=2270

The rod at the stern will have to be a lot stouter than what these guys were using, due to the size and weight of the Bertram, but the method itself appears to be pretty simple.

I'm working Monday through Wednesday so I know I'll be in town. Then I'm off Thursday through Sunday so I should be able to help, but if you need those winches before then, you've got my number.

Merry Christmas :!:

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:10 am
by Mbiggerstaff
I considered the rotisserie method but decided against it. The transom is curved and very thin. I do not think it would support the weight. Go to youtube and search "rolling over 29 ft hull". That is how I am going to do it.

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:34 am
by TRC886
Nothing to it is it 8)

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:27 pm
by DAYTRIP
shine wrote:classic lines, Im really starting to like this idea for my next project :D

There is one on craigslist in homestead for 300 bucks! Good place to start :D
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4751922521.html

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:22 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Better hurry Shine. I'm tempted. I got the engine already.

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:07 am
by DAYTRIP
I have the trailer ready to roll if you are a go Joel...I am just saying :wink:

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:37 am
by tech_support
:D Im pretty sure the seacraft will be gone next week, so i will be in boat/project hunting mode

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:10 am
by DAYTRIP
Has she rolled over yet?

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:39 am
by Mbiggerstaff
It has rained the past 3 days. My friends A frame was too small.. Having to rethink everything.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:50 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
: Image

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:53 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:54 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Got the rear frame assembled today. Eye bolt is 1". Have one for bow as well. Plan is to rotate it on it long axis. Thoughts?

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:02 pm
by TRC886
Does it not have a bow eye already? I believe I'd use the existing one.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:07 pm
by DAYTRIP
You will have a lot of force on the glass at the bolt hole. My guess is 2000 lbs. should be okay. :doh: In the bow there is a limber hole in the stringer that they lift the hull from the mold. I think the strength is there. Make sure hardware will hold at least 3000 lbs. . I would have some control of the rotation in the back. Maybe small chain falls on each corner?

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:21 pm
by TRC886
Dealers use the bow and two stern eyes to lift boats from the transport trailers, then suspend them while backing and adjusting the "regular" trailer underneath them. I've been told that that is why the eyes are there.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:05 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks guys. There is not an eye bolt in the bow now. I saw the ring glassed into the bow when I was doing demo up there so I know what yow are talking about Daytrip. I have another 1" eye bolt that I will use up there. I have a 5/8 stainless "U" bow bolt that I was going to use later. My thought is to use the one inch eye so that the boat will rotate around it. Same on the transom. I hope the 4 x 4s bolted through the old exhaust ports will take all the stress and not the glass around the eye bolt. Agree that control in the roll is critical. It is a BIG hull. Keep the ideas coming.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:55 am
by topwater
shouldn't be a problem , just watch out when turning over where the most weight is above or below the water line.
She will roll fast when she gets to that point.
Those extra control lines on the transom helped me slow the roll when i got to the tipping point .

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:03 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:03 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:07 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Got front built today. Cemented post in just to be sure. Different design, will see which one works best . The single post was definitely easier to build. Lifted transom off trailer. Came up a foot like it was nothing. Nothing gave at all. Feeling good about a roll tomorrow or Saturday! Thanks Topwater. You made it look easy.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:38 pm
by DAYTRIP
Awesome! Can't wait to see the successful roll. Are you setting it on the ground or back on the trailer?

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:40 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:50 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Well here it is! Victor and Paul came over and we had her bottom up in no time. Very controlled, no dramatics at all. Lifted it up with chain hoist at each end. Attached ropes to cleats on port and starboard . One rope to do the flipping and the other to control the roll once she hit vertical. Ends of ropes attached to tow hooks on two trucks. One slowly backed up starting the roll while the other slowly rolled forward keeping tension on the control rope. Victor slowly raised it higher until the gunnel cleared and over she went!

Now the work begins

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:58 pm
by Cracker Larry
Well done 8)

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 am
by topwater
Nice job :!: Went alot easier than you thought didn't it .

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! Nice job. How is she sitting on the trailer support wise? That will make it 100 times easier to work on. Thanks for paving the way. Might want some additional details so I can do mine.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:41 am
by TRC886
Nothing to it :) All three of us kept a close eye on every step, and if one of us didn't like something, we stopped and changed it. I'm eager to see the video that Mike took.

The boat is still suspended in the last pic. Plans are to get some heavy timbers to lay across the trailer bunks and set the boat on them. It'll take around 9-10" to clear the raised portion of the gunnels (the white part above the center axle) and the fenders.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:09 pm
by DAYTRIP
I would like to see the video as well. How much stuff fell out? 8O Great work.

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:39 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
http://youtu.be/w0D9SUQWq-k

Here is the link to the video(I think). The boat is now on the trailer. Used a pair of two 4 x 6s on front and back resting on bunks to support the boat. Rained all day with more tomorrow. After sanding, what will be best to use for patching blister holes?

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:42 pm
by TRC886
Mbiggerstaff wrote:http://youtu.be/w0D9SUQWq-k

Here is the link to the video(I think). The boat is now on the trailer. Used a pair of two 4 x 6s on front and back resting on bunks to support the boat. Rained all day with more tomorrow. After sanding, what will be best to use for patching blister holes?
Not bad for amateurs :wink:

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:16 pm
by DAYTRIP
Great video. What lumber sizes did you use?

I would personally use the marine epoxy that Joel sells here and do the first fill with cabosil mixed in to make a putty. Don't over fill! Then for the next/final fill I would mix the epoxy with phenolic bubbles. Cabosil is hard as nails and bubbles are easier to fair. Not sure how much fairing you have done but I have come to accept that it will take three fills/sandings. The more you try to bulk on the harder the sanding. I mix the epoxy and filler to a consistency between ketsup and peanut butter. I like using a 8 inch drywall knife to spread it tight and level. Personally I would not go to crazy over the bottom and way less then described if you are bottom painting. If you are finish painting then it needs yo be close. I have used epoxy and graphite on my boats that are not getting bottom paint and it works well.

Joel May have other recommendations.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:23 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
For the bow, I used treated 4 x6 timbers for the uprights. The header is 2 x 12 doubled up. The braces are 2x6 attached to 4x4 poles 2 feet in the ground and then cemented. All attachments are 5/8 galvanized rods cut to length with washers on both sides.

For the stern, the uprights of the A are treated 4 x 4 and the headers are again 2 x 12s. 3/4 plywood used to secure top of A and 2 x 8s to secure bottom. supports for header are 2 x 4s. Again everything bolted, not nailed.

The bow upright were much easier to build and seemed stronger, Should have extended the braces on the sided all the way to the header but all was well.

Used 3 ton chain hoist in front and 5 ton in back(overkill).

The uprights were 12 foot length to start. The bow ones are in the ground 18" Will have to take the header off to get the boat out from between the two as it is too high when on trailer.

If you want detailed pix of anything, can easily provide.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:36 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:38 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Had a break in the rain late this afternoon and started sanding. Daytrip what are you doing with your old shaft ports? if you removed them can you send pix please.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:24 pm
by DAYTRIP
I am going to cut them out but have Minot yet. I will cut them flush with the hull then taper glass from the inside. On the under side I will screw a piece of malamine or a piece of plywood with parchment or wax paper on it so the glass won't stick. I will go back about 6 inches around the perimeter. Once dry remove the plywood and grind the interface between patch acne hull and fill with cabosil or milled fiber and epoxy.

Not sure if that is what you were after?

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:59 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Yes. Since mine is bottom up, could I do the same from the bottom. Which would be stronger as they are in high stress area of boat.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:11 pm
by DAYTRIP
Really no difference strength wise. Big differnce is that you could have humps on the bottom if you do it from that side. if you grind it back then make your layers a little bigger each time you can do it. I might only to three on the bottom then do a few on the inside when you flip it back over. That would actually be better from a bonding perspective as is in attached to more surface area.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 am
by DAYTRIP
That bottom looks exactly like my last 28 did. I was not overly crazy fixing that one and it never created any issues. Looking at the big flat area I would be tempted to get the gel coat off and lay a skin of biax over it all. Then fix all the holes from the inside where being fair does not matter. Joel would be the authority there.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:31 am
by tech_support
if you grind it back then make your layers a little bigger each time you can do it. I might only to three on the bottom then do a few on the inside when you flip it back over. That would actually be better from a bonding perspective as is in attached to more surface area..
That is definitely how I would do it. A thin layer beveled flush on the outside (while you have it upside down) then the "real" patch on the inside. Grind back lay in layers and then overlap the last

For filling the blisters and little holes, i would use a mix of silica and milled fibers. For filling big holes and would use chopped glass and milled fibers

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:30 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
All right. Just to make sure I understand, I should start at the transom and remove all the gelcoat at least up to the last of the holes on the bottom. After that is done fill any defects in the fiberglass and sand again. Lay the biax and finish from there.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:48 pm
by DAYTRIP
I think Joel was agreeing with the topic of how to fix the holes in the hull. The idea of adding a layer of glass to the entire surface becomes more a question of is it easier to do that for the blisters. My thought would be do a quick fill of the blisters, let it kick to the point that it was still plyable, then do the glass over that. I think the fAiring of the new glassed surface vs all those little repairs would be easier and turn out nicer. I would not do the entire bottom that way but just that center area up to the forward engine bulkhead area and out to the lifting strake

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:04 pm
by tech_support
Sorry I wasn't too clear :oops: i would not cover the whole bottom with glass. Only in the areas where you have larger holes, would I bevel back then glass over (so the glass is more or less flush with bottom), then you just take a swipe of fairing to make it smooth.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:59 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I am breathing a sigh of relief! Although it comes off, I was not looking forward to taking it all off. Worked a little more today and found that the gel coat is much thinner up front and it will be easier to repair with removing most of the gel coat. Was thinking of using a dremmel to hit the blister areas to make sure they are clean prior to patching. Overkill? It is going to be COLD her the next couple of days and I have a booth at the raleigh boat show this weekend (I make lures in my spare time) so things will slow down until next week.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 pm
by Jim_Davisson
I plan on being at the fishing expo this weekend, what is the name of your lure company, is it Crystal Coast?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:15 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Yes. Crystal Coast Lures. Stop by and visit

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 pm
by Jim_Davisson
I sure will, look forward to it.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:54 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:56 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Got a break at work and got out early enough to sand for a couple of hours. going to have to take it off the trailer and put it back on the ground to get the front or risk a broken limb. I cannot imagine doing this on my back

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:44 pm
by DAYTRIP
Dude, if you are getting rid of gel coat use a 4-1/2 inch grinder with a 36 grit disk. Comes of like butter. Maybe you already are but I see that DA there. If you are doing a big area the 7" is best as it is easier to keep level.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:12 am
by Mbiggerstaff
using a 6"orbital sander. wouldn't exactly say like butter or I would be done by now

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 am
by DAYTRIP
The grinder will cut a lot faster then the orbital sander. Having both in your arsenal will save a lot of time.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:07 pm
by tech_support
A grinder would be a must for me on any rebuild project.

I even purchased a 7" makita grinder...... its a dangerous machine :D

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:37 pm
by Fuzz
I find that grinders turn too fast. I really like the 7" sander/polishers that turn 0-3000. I find for me that 1500 RPM works the best. I use a firm soft pad and 3M green disks. Either 6 0r 8 inch pads and disks. Both have their place. For what you are doing 36 grit will do the trick nicely. They are not cheap but will be worth it on a job the sixe of yours. The glass will burn out the motor over time but a good repair shop can rebuild them 3-4 times before they are totaly shot.
I also have a couple fixed speed-1750 RPM- Portacables that are cheaper and work almost as good.
I am enjoying watching this. Looks like a great project.
Fuzz

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:43 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks guys. I have a 4" and 7" grinder that I have not tried yet but are on the ready. The orbital is working for now. No sanding till next week.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 pm
by TRC886
A 7" grinder with 24 grit discs will get you in trouble quickly...don't ask how I know :oops:

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:19 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Rain, rain, rain

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:40 pm
by Cracker Larry
Rain, rain, rain
Same here. It's not warm either.
A 7" grinder with 24 grit discs will get you in trouble quickly...don't ask how I know
For sure. I use it to tear stuff out, not to build it back. Aren't many tools that can mess something up, including the operator, as fast as a grinder can :help:
A grinder would be a must for me on any rebuild project.
Yes, me too. For the demolition stages on a rebuild, or stripping gelcoat, nothing beats a grinder. The only thing better is somebody else to drive it :lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:09 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:10 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:12 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Got the engine home this weekend. Finally got to do some more sanding.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 am
by DAYTRIP
Looking good man. How much filling /fairing you up against? Does the damage extend into the glass or just the gelcoat?

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:14 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Unfortunately into the glass. Planning on trying dremel tool to clean up glass unless you have better idea. Finished first sand today and cut out shaft things. How far back should I grind before I start repairing. Is there a rule of thumb that says a 2" hole requires a 4" patch or something. I plan on trying Interlux watertite epoxy filler to patch holes. Thoughts?

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:32 pm
by DAYTRIP
I think I remember seeing somewhere that for every 1 unit of thickness you grind back three? Personally I dish it back about an inch and a half and then go back another couple inches for bonding.

I think you are almost going to do a fairing coats in big areas when filling? I would personally get epoxy resin and mix in the fillers. If you are spot filling I would use that 3m filler that uses vinyl-ester resin with cabosil as the filler as it kicks fast and you can coat sand and refill in an hour vs over night. Any ready to use filler is going to cost more then mixing your own, I would guess.

The photo of yours upside down and mine wide open don't come close to showing the size of these things. Big wide boats for sure.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Dremel tool worked great. Got one side done in a couple of hours. Glad I did it. There was a lot of loose glass and gelcoat. Had I not done it I would have had blisters in no time. Hope to finish up messy work this weekend and get it inside and start patching.

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:45 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Got a little patching done today. Back on the trailer but could not move it to shop because of all the rain and soggy yards.

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:46 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:47 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:48 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Outdrive cutout someday

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:34 pm
by DAYTRIP
How much filling is done in those last picks?

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I have about 3/4 of the boat done so far. Only have a couple of hours in the afternoon to work because of the temperature. If it would ever stop raining so Paul's yard would dry out, it will go into his shop where the temperature can be controlled.

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 am
by DAYTRIP
Wow,

That is great. I think I can see the filled side. The filler is green? Great progress. You think the soda blating opened the Blisteres up? Were they even blisters or just voids under the gelcoat? My old one (1972) had a lot of small blisters. This one does not appear to have any (1979). What year is yours?

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
My boat is a 1976. The soda blasting opened up the blisters for sure. I had a combination of blisters and voids in the chopped glass mat under the gelcoat which opened up when I sanded. I used the dremel to score them out and make sure that the edges were clean and secure. The filler is Interlux watertite. It is a light blue when mixed. It has been snowing today so I had to find other things to do. Cut blue insulation foam the size of all the holes and then coated them with two part platinum rubber. They will fit tightly into the holes flush with the hull and glass will be laid over them. I use the platinum rubber in my lure making for the molds. The epoxy does not stick to it. After I roll it over, I will fill from the inside with additional glass.

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 pm
by DAYTRIP
Got you. Another thing that releases easy is parchment paper. Basically a higher temp wax paper you buy at the grocery. Big accomplishment getting that done!

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:07 am
by Mbiggerstaff
you are lucky you don't have to do this. I guess bertram got it right by 79.

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 am
by DAYTRIP
I am not sure that I won't have the same issue until it is blasted. Doesn't look like it but who knows

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:47 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:48 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:53 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Work has been interfering with boat repair but have managed to get a little done. Got the sides sanded and except for a few small holes ready for primer. Moved it to Paul's yesterday so it is inside now. Started patching bottom holes and have the second coat of faring compound on most of the blister holes.

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:16 pm
by DAYTRIP
Getting there! What did you wind up using to fair it with? That is a lot of work.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:07 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Still using Interlux watertite. Kind of pricy but works well, has great reviews and I can get it wholesale so cost isn't so bad. Boating show this weekend, trying to sell some lures. No work till next week.

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:34 pm
by DAYTRIP
What are you going to paint bottom with. My plan is to do epoxy and graphite from keel to second chine then alexseal the balance of the hull.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:05 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Interlux VC performance epoxy

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:31 pm
by DAYTRIP
Interesting stuff. I like it. Maybe my plans have changed! If it buffs to a smooth dull finish I would prefer that. Also like that it is not black.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 am
by tech_support
Mbiggerstaff wrote:Interlux VC performance epoxy
I am going to be helping my buddy spray his seacraft bottom with that paint. I read/hear good things about it.

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:52 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Making progress

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm
by Rickk
A ton of blisters - wow. Looks good now though.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:46 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
It has been really cold here in Greenville, NC. We have not been able to get the shop temp up enough to do any additional fiberglass work. Instead have removed old wood and glass from under gunnels, ground to good base, and cut new wood. Ready for installation. The old wood was embedded in something underneath to fill voids and provide strength. Suggestions please. I am sure that something can be mixed with epoxy to make a suitable compound if a specific product is not available for this purpose.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:37 pm
by DAYTRIP
I would suggest epoxy mixed with wood flour. Cheap and very strong. 50 lbs of it on mine so far! That stuff they used is like cabosil. Hard and brittle. A chisel breaks it up pretty well. Beats grinding.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 pm
by TRC886
Mbiggerstaff wrote:It has been really cold here in Greenville, NC.
And going to get colder. Forecast for Thursday is 22 degrees...Thursday night, five degrees 8O :help:

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 am
by tech_support
DAYTRIP wrote:I would suggest epoxy mixed with wood flour. Cheap and very strong. 50 lbs of it on mine so far! That stuff they used is like cabosil. Hard and brittle. A chisel breaks it up pretty well. Beats grinding.
The putty they (and all the other manufacturers) used back then was a polyester with silica and maybe some other fillers, its very brittle and if its too thick it breaks loose with any flexing. A lot of older boats have this putty bonding the deck/liner to the stringers and hull, it pops loose pretty easy.

Epoxy is best choice but there are also Methacrylates now that will "melt" the two pieces together.

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:13 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Wood Flour it is. Picked up 50 lbs today. Weekend looks promising for epoxy.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:15 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Here are some pix of progress. New wood under gunnels and bottom. One more sanding on bottom and then a layer of glass over the aft half to cover all the patches, just for security.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:37 am
by TRC886
Looking good :!: Holler if you need an extra hand 'glassing. (Or even if you don't :P )

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:09 am
by tech_support
that is a good way to re-core the gunnels :!:

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:35 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! What are you going to do glass down the center in the stern or are you saying just over the patched areas?

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
A 50 inch piece of glass will cover from centerline to lifting rake. One on each side forward to cover patches. Sanded today. Ready to prime once glass is laid and sanded. I have lost count of the number of times I have sanded that bottom. Sad to think I have at least 3 times left!

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:28 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Todays progress. 1708 on each side to cover patches. Will sand and fair tomorrow. Maybe a coat of high build primer if we are really lucky.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:33 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looking good! Add material, sand, add material, sand.....vicious cycle :help:

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:34 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Got that right. Got it sanded but had a bad patch of resin. Had to take up a section aft. Ran out of resin so could not replace. Faired the rest. Will sand again and replace bad spot on Tuesday.

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:56 pm
by DAYTRIP
That is a bummer! Most times if you roll it into the sun it will kick it. Either that or a heat gun. Every now and again I have that happen. I am certain it is because I am distracted and miss something in the ratio. I am using vinylester on the console and had a batch that didn't kick fully. That stuff I swear that if the mek is old it doesn't catalyze right.

You are getting there man.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:18 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:34 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Ready for primer!

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:35 am
by DAYTRIP
Now that is a good feeling! good job.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:28 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Sprayed on one coat of Interlux HC. Rolled the second. Faired places that I missed. Sanded again. Rolled another coat on yesterday. Will sand smooth and spray another coat and see what it looks like. Getting real close to paint.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:20 am
by DAYTRIP
Awesome! Man I am jealous. You are breathing new life into that puppy. That is so gratifying to see progress in the form of a nice new finish. Good work.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:48 am
by tech_support
would be very interested in hearing about the VC spraying vs. rolling and how much paint you have used (coverage). I am going to be helping my buddy spray his 25 seacraft :)

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:53 pm
by DAYTRIP
Why did you spray some and roll some? Trouble spraying? Is that primer epoxy based?
I am anxious to see the finish coat as well!

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:13 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I had purchased some high build primer and was planning on using it to finish off the bottom but careful inspection of the instruction specifically said that it should not be used below the waterline. Was planning on using the interlude HC (epoxy sealer/primer) over the high build prior to finish coat. We sprayed the first coat thinned out to make sure that it got down into the pinpoint holes so as not to leave voids or air pockets to trap moisture. The instructions said it could be rolled as a high build primer so that is what we did. I really want the old gelcoat to be sealed so the blisters don't come back. So far i have used 2 gallons and will use part of one more to finish it off. Paul has sprayed the performance VC before and says it sprays nice. I have 2 one gallon units that we plan on using. Planning on 3-4 coats.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:35 pm
by wildbill
All you need is a roller for the VC Performance Epoxy. It's great stuff. 8) I was anal and used a little more than 2 coats in some places.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:38 pm
by wildbill
wildbill wrote:All you need is a roller for the VC Performance Epoxy. It's great stuff. 8) I was anal and used a little more than 2 coats in some places.
I used it over the High Build Primer I bought from here.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:03 am
by DAYTRIP
My guess/experience is that the high build would not be a problem unless it sat in the water full time. Never hurts to be safe vs sorry though. Looking forward to the finished product. Are you planning on a wet sand or just the as is finish?

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:37 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Not sure yet. Still sanding primer. Will see how it goes and looks

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:05 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Sander the rolled on primer. Looked real good. Sprayed a coat today. Second (really the 5th coat). and final coat of primer tomorrow. May get first coat of performance vc on Saturday. 3 coats of it and she rolls back over.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:33 am
by DAYTRIP
Great progress. Looking forward to seeing the final coats. I am trying to upload some pics of my console now.

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:40 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Sprayed first coat of performance VC. Second tomorrow and third on monday.

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:34 pm
by DAYTRIP
Do you have to wait 24 hrs between coats or are you just doing it that way per your preference?

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:42 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Minimum of 7 (dry enough to walk on) max of 24 without having to sand between coats. This stuff gets really hard fast according to spec sheets. If you wait too long it might not bond. It takes a good couple of hours to spray and then throw in the 45 minute activation time and it is just hard to do 2 coats in a day and still have time for other things. Unfortunately this is not a full time job right now. It takes about 3 quarts to put a coat on. This has been true for the primer whether I rolled or sprayed it and the VC today for anyone's planning purposes.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:22 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Finished the bottom today!

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:32 pm
by DAYTRIP
Congrats! Looks good. Will you wet sand or just go with it?

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:32 am
by Mbiggerstaff
just go with it

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:27 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Primed, wet sanded and reprimed times 2. Ready to roll her back over. I climbed on top of her to put the plastic on prior to priming. considered wet sanding the bottom. Too slick to stand on ever barefoot.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:10 am
by Cracker Larry
That's sure looking good! It's a lot of boat to paint.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:21 pm
by PNWcx25
That's looking great!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Ready to start the inside

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:04 pm
by jacquesmm
Big milestone in the project.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:07 pm
by Cracker Larry
No kidding!!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:28 pm
by Rickk
Nice - looks good!!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:29 pm
by Walkers Run
Looking good!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:12 pm
by bigtalljv
That's a big boat!!

Nothing like making a Tahoe or suburban looks small. The scale makes so I can't tell what truck that is. :doh:

Jason

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:19 am
by Rickk
Are you going to move the bunks on the trailer back to support the transom? I forget what kind of power this will end up with.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:30 am
by Mbiggerstaff
The truck is a suburban and I know what you mean about it looking small. The power will be a center mounted diesel to an outdrive via jackshaft. don't plan on moving bunks. outdrive only weighs 300 lbs. going to beef up stringers for additional support anyway.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:57 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! You are making me feel like a slacker. At first glance I thought you topcoated the hull sides. Did you ever weight it? At one point I thought you had mentioned doing that. Keep up the great work.

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:48 am
by Mbiggerstaff
I weighed the suburban and empty trailer. have not weighed empty hull. may sneak over to scales. suppose to have permits to pull it due to beam in NC.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:47 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Here are some pix of weekend work. Needed to find out exactly how motor was going to fit so modified turning structure to allow me to pick up motor high enough to get over transom. You can see that it fits really nicely between the stringers and is a lot lower than I had thought. Question though. The stringers are too high to allow access to all parts of the engine. I will have to cut them down. Plan is to build motor bunks on the keel side of the stringers. They will be 4 inches high at the stringer and will end up being about 6 inches wide. My plan is to span the motor mounts and then ? 2/3/4/ feet forward and aft. If I cut the stringers down to only be 4 inches high where the motor sits will it cause me structural problems or will the motor bunks fix that issue? The bunks will be epoxied to the remaining stringer and glassed generously.

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:03 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Took her to the scales today. 2220 lbs as seen in last pix on my last post.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:39 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Here is an update on progress. Have 2 layers of Okuma on transom and ready for glass . These pix show deck heights. Front deck has to be elevated to accommodate engine. Each deck will be 8 feet. This is very rough. Just wanted a rough idea to make sure the cockpit depth was adequate but not too low to allow self bailing yet have enough tankage and not too low for outdrive.. Will remove all this, build bulkhead at deck break and start stringer construction on cockpit deck.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:33 pm
by DAYTRIP
You are an animal! Nice progress. To the stringer question I would look at it this way. When you calculate a beam's property you calculate a sectional modulus based on the beam (stringer) height and width. Boiling it down a little, if you currently have a height of 7.5" and a width of 1" your need to maintain a constant of (1) x (7.5) x (7.5) = 56.25. So if you change the height to 4" you get (new width) x (4) x (4) = (new width) x16= 56.25. Doing the algebra you get (new width) = 56.25/16= 3.51" so if the materials are the same you need to have a 3.5" wide x 4" high stringer in that area. I guessed on the 7.5" height so that needs to be verified.

That is how I would calculate it. Now I need to get cracking on mine!

Just saw the weight. Lighter than I guessed. How low are you going with the deck in the back? I was thinking just abone the old exhaust ports?

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:09 pm
by jacquesmm
I missed the question but 4" stringers is very low.
And 7 or 8" high by 1" wide is very narrow for engine beds.
In this case, what you have in the middle are the stringers that extend from the old engine beds (it was twin straight shafts correct?)
I would build new stringers, same height as before, 3" wide at the engine mounts and with a wider spacing.
Look at the pictures of your old engine beds: they are like what I describe.
You can still install the engine low: have some offset brackets welded to lower the engine.
And make the stringers much longer than just the engine mounts spacing. Longer engine beds reduce vibrations.
It's a little more work to build oversized engine beds but it will give you peace of mind.
You are doing a major refit there, don't skip on the engine beds.
I know that a stern-drive doesn't require the same engine beds than a straight shaft but when I worked at Cigarette, my engine beds for 350 HP jackshaft were never thinner than 2" or lower than 8", plywood in plenty of 2415 tabbing.

PS: I just remember, on my last design at Pursuit, 260 HP Yanamr plus jackshaft, engine beds were 2.5" wide by about 8" wide.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:36 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Got the motor bunk built. 4 layers of 5/8 with 2412 between each layer. Still need to finish glass. Right now 2.5" by 8' by 8.5' high. 2 of the stringers shown in approximate place with bulkhead.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 am
by jacquesmm
That looks good and strong from here.
I like those long stringers/engine beds, they will do a lot to absorb/spread vibrations.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:50 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks really good. You are making great progress. I wish I could get mine inside.

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:38 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Got a lot of work done today. Have stringers, bulkheads, supports ect done in back. Will continue that work tomorrow and provide pix.

Time to get tanks on order and looking for a little advice.

Plan for 2 tanks, 5 feet long to sit between stringers. This should give me 100 gallons/tank.

That leave 3 feet not occupied by tanks. Where should I place tanks to distribute weight appropriately?

2 tanks, one engine. How do i plum the tanks to get even draw from both. Diesels return some of the uptake. where should it go?

What is the best way to mount them. was planning on hanging them on stringer rather than sitting them on the hull.

Do you have any good tank sources. Have talked briefly to RDS and boattops.com.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm
by jacquesmm
Mbiggerstaff wrote: Plan for 2 tanks, 5 feet long to sit between stringers. This should give me 100 gallons/tank.

That leave 3 feet not occupied by tanks. Where should I place tanks to distribute weight appropriately?
Centered over the LCG but since I did not design the boat, I can only guess where it is. For that type of boat and speed, the LCG will probably be at about 40% of the waterline. Look at the DWL, measure 40% of it starting from the transom and you will be close unless your new engine changed the whole LCG which is possible. It may require some calculations.

2 tanks, one engine. How do i plum the tanks to get even draw from both. Diesels return some of the uptake. where should it go?
It doesn't matter where the return goes. I would go for manual valves. You can also use solenoid valves. The nice thing about having two tanks is that you can adjust the trim.
What is the best way to mount them. was planning on hanging them on stringer rather than sitting them on the hull.
Not on the bottom, on a shelf, a well built platform, neoprene gasket/mat, straps to stringers.

Do you have any good tank sources. Have talked briefly to RDS and boattops.com.
That you are going to have to find locally.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:32 pm
by DAYTRIP
I know the original cg was at the forward engine bulkhead which was about 10' forward of transome. That is almost exactly 40% of the waterline length. The original motors were about 2000 lbs and located 2.5 ft aft of cg. The tank was 165 gal and centered 7' aft of cg. You got rid of 1000lbs? That was centered 4' forward of cg?

How much does the new motor weigh?

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:34 pm
by jacquesmm
So my guess was very close? :D
I worked on those boats often and if you stay close to 40%, you can't go wrong.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:57 pm
by bigtalljv
I got a tank from speedytanks, it was excellent and so was the service. Of course it's the only custom AL I've ever owned....

Jason

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:37 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Working on foredeck. 3 of 4 beams built and in place. Ran out of glass to make 4th. Lots of space under deck. Need to find something to do with it. Ready to order tanks. Will have 2 80 gallon. Not as much as I wanted but all that will fit in the space.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:53 pm
by bigtalljv
storage, lots of storage :) Fish cooler? You can never have too much storage of any sort.

Jason

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:50 pm
by DAYTRIP
You are moving along! What did you use to fabricate the deck beams?

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:36 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Aft beams are 5/8 okouma doubled 5" high with 1708 between and are 8 ft long. Foredeck beams tripled 5/8 with 1708 6" high and 9ft long. Planning on working a while tomorrow. Should have some good pix to show.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:43 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Here is what we have accomplished over the past couple of days. We set the windshield as a setpoint to rough in the helm. With the foredeck raised, the windshield had to be raised as well to make it functional. I will be able to see through it while sitting and driving. Once hardtop is in place will bridge space with strata glass. Glass also came and got last beam constructed. Will order tanks tomorrow. next step is to take it all apart, make real parts from OSB patterns, epoxy parts and glass back in place.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:12 am
by DAYTRIP
Shazam! Are you using the side glass in the final plan? Looking good.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:50 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
that is the plan as of today.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:34 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
No pix today but progress goes on. Have removed all the parts and started epoxy coating them for reinstallation. Put a layer of 1208 on the inside of transom today. What a pain. That is the first big sheet of glass that I have laid. I chased air bubbles for a couple of hours trying to get them all out. Need to find out about vacuum bagging as I have lots of large parts to come or learn another way. Got tanks ordered today finally. Lots of back and forth with speedy tanks about this and that which took longer than i thought it would. It not like I can't find something to do while the tanks are being made. As a side project while waiting for the epoxy to cure I have started a teak rocket launcher/fighting chair. Pretty cool if I do say so myself. Will post a pix of it and see what you think. Any body know where I might get the side glass from a 28 moppie. It looks better than the side glass that I have.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:44 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

here are pictures as promised. stringers glassed, transom glassed, all plywood coated. The last is my battle station . Designed to be sat upon like a horse saddle. Thoughts?

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:37 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Tanks are here. Will pick up on Monday and get started on that. have started reinstalling the sanded epoxied parts so they will be ready to glass in once the tanks are in place. Battle station ready for final sanding and finishing.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:29 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice work and heck of a lot of it. You've got it whipped now.

Love the teak. Where did you get it?

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm
by Walkers Run
What kind of wood is your battle station?

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:27 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Teak came from World Panel in Windsor, NC. I believe they are out of Florida. They carry marine, cherry, oak ect plywood as well as exotic lumber. Really nice guys. I have to say, the battle station came out really nice. Would do things a little different on the next one but a good first effort. Wonder if there is a market for them?

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:56 pm
by snookiehunter
Mbiggerstaff wrote:Wonder if there is a market for them?
I would guess so. Looks really nice, and it would take up much less space than the traditional fighting chairs.

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:20 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Well the tanks made it in. they are sitting in place in pix but had to do some modifications. ended up raising the sole about 3 inches Cockpit depth still 27 in corner. Since pix have started glassing in bulkheads, stringers and cradles under tanks. played with the windshield some more today. Not going to use the original side glass. will have glass made to give it a mopie look. Battle station complete except for sanding and finishing.

have question. going to make a transom fish box. Want it to be well insulated so ice will last a day offshore. What is the insulation capacity of Divinciele or equivalent ? Could I use the blue styrofoam lthat you get for a home supply store for the form for better insulation. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Fishing the Big Rock Tournament next week in my 28 True World. We were the smallest boat to fish it last year and probably will be this year too. Size doesn't matter though. We hooked a marlin last year with 20 minutes left to go in the tournament and gave all the big boys a scare. Wont get any work done. Got to enjoy life a little

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:34 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks great. What are the tank dimensions? I have used the bliue stuff before but sold the boat before I tried it. I used the urathane foam on my 17 mako. They sell it in 1" thick sheets. Much cheaper then divinycell but structural properties are way less. I would go 1" for sure and low density.

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:53 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks are 80 long, 18 wide, 18 high on the inboard side and 8 on the outboard side. 78 gallons each .

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:25 am
by Marshall Moser
I doubt you'll be the smallest boat this year with the new OB class. Good luck!

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:02 am
by Jim_Davisson
I have the same project slated and I have a few thoughts on the transom fish box. Here's some insulation properties I've researched.

Polyurethane foam r-value 7-8 after 5 years r-value drops to 5-6
Polyisocyanurate foam r-value 6.8 after 5 years drops to 5.5
R-value per inch

Next to r-value an air tight lid is the next important step. The bottom should have the most insulation even if the sides have less. Stagger seams if using two or more layers, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm looking at building the inside with ⅛" okoume with white laminate epoxy glued to it. Glassing both sides when thats done, glueing the polyurethane foam insulation to it and then building the outside in ¼" okoume to be painted ice blue. The lid I may build the Capt Pat McCrary self tensioning speargun rubberband special.

I've been working on bait tanks for a couple months, reworked a new 50 gal tank for optimum performance and completely overhauled the twin 1000 gal home holding tanks, one is for new arrivals and one bio-tank that won't need huge water changes. I am almost done with this and need a new project.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:04 am
by Jim_Davisson
Link to livewell/cooler lid referenced to above.

http://www.bertram31.com/parts/livewell/index.html

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 am
by DAYTRIP
Mike,

Saw this 26 at Birdsall Marine yesterday. Thought you might like to see it as the layout is now the Moppie less the windshield. Maybe help with future thoughts.

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:28 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks Daytrip. That is a good looking boat. Haven't posted in a while but have been working. Glassing things in place. Here is where I am now. Still working on windshield and side glass. have struck out on everything so far. The number for O'Niel Craft is a fax.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm
by DAYTRIP
I went by O'Neil yesterday to see what they might have for you. they did not have anything there as they trash the entire bridge and windows typically. He had three Bertrams there but I could not get a commitment from him to save any of the windows.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:14 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks for trying. I have tried to call but the number they have goes to a fax machine. I have found a place called Ocean Dynamics who will make my side glass for me. A little pricy but I guess you have to pay for custom work. Got a sheet of of glass on the outside transom yesterday, glued up some floor supports and started glassing in the fore ribs supports. progress marches on one bucket of epoxy after another. It sure is different from back in the winter where the fast harder took an hour to gel. The slow gels in 15 minutes in 100 degree weather.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:35 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Glassing goes on. just about ready to set the tanks in final place and rough in aft sole. Paul and David have been working on helm/windshield. Mock up as shown. Outdrive will be here later in month,

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:25 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
It has been a busy weekend for Paul and me. Got a lot done as you can see.

Aft deck is set but still a lot of work to do below deck. Fish box roughed in. Going to use 2 of the old hatches. Surround for fore deck roughed in.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:27 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Yes I am still working on the boat. Progress not as visible now as in the past so have not posted a lot of pictures. Progress to this point:

Have faired, sanded and primed the visible below deck surfaces. once the last of the fore deck supports are in will finish with bilgekote.

Tanks are completely installed except for running hoses which will be done after bilgekote

Went to Charleston and picked up outdrive, transom shield, prop, jackshaft kit and brought back to greenville. got call on monday am that they sent me home with the wrong shield so have been waiting for replacement to arrive.

Waiting on engine mounts as well. once they arrive and shield arrives will install and take to river and float test.

will have foredeck sole installed this weekend and start on helm.

fish box coming along nicely

Brow ready for glassing

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:59 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Still waiting on mounts and transom plate but have decks fitted. Looking like a boat now!

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:41 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks great mike . Has to feel good to walk on deck vs the hull and stringers. Keep it going!

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:08 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Have been working below deck. Put 2 coats of epoxy on underside of plywood and primed hull. Will sand this week and spray bilgekote on everything. Still waiting on motor mounts. Maybe this week. Have fish box ready for primer. Brow glassed in place. Doing some fairing before first glassing. Helm cut and tacked together. Will glass on out of boat and then install.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:14 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Took the plunge today and cut a BIG hole in the transom

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks good. Progress!

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:39 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Got a second coat of bilgekote on yesterday and first coat of primer on fish box. Will work on transom this weekend so I can get outdrive permanently mounted. Still waiting for motor mounts.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:49 am
by Cracker Larry
That's looking really good 8) Heck of a big project!

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:05 am
by Mbiggerstaff

here is the progress for the past couple of weeks. The outdrive is mounted! Had to take it on and off several times but finally got it right. The aft deck is glued down and ready for glass. The helm station is glassed and ready to be glassed in place. Still need to cut the door. Still waiting for motor mounts.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:34 am
by jacquesmm
Whne you install the engine, post some pictures of the alignment tool, the spline shaft.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:30 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Will do, but from what I understand the actual shaft from engine to rear coupling does not have to be exact especially since I will be using a two component shaft. There are some who say that the u joints need to be off a little to put pressure on the needle bearings to get them engaged. With this outdrive, the jackshaft to outdrive coupling does not need alignment like my Yanmar combo. If you know otherwise, please let me know.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:46 am
by jacquesmm
Correct, it does not have to be perfect. It will work safely even if it is offset a little bit.
I don't know about the side pressure idea but at Cigarette, because of the high speeds, we always lined them up perfectly.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Have been learning how to vacuum in my spare (!) time in preparation for hardtop. Couple of valuable lessons. The first attempt looks great before the peel. unfortunately I did not have a good breather cloth and ended up having to sand all the glass off top and bottom. Second attempt put some pleats in the stretch wrap so it would wrap around the edges better. I used this stuff that is a peel off that leaves a surface that does not need to be sanded prior to fairing/priming. Had a layer of breather material above that and then the stretch. Left it on vacuum all night and peeled off this AM. Did not peel that easy but it looks great. I think I will use a layer of perforated peel pry between the breather and the surfacer layer next time. We have a lot of the boat set to glass as you will see in the next post. one more practice run and we will glass the whole thing in short order.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:41 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Aft deck ready to glass. gutters formed around hatches. The last shot is a close up of the hatch above the outdrive. Finally got the motor mounts in place as you can see. !/2 inch aluminum 4 feet long. I think they will be strong enough. 1208 draped cut and draped over brow waiting for resin.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Image Image

Paul has the helm looking great. once brow is glassed will secure helm in place.

After that is done will take it back to my house, drop the motor in it and take it to the river for a float test.

had a minor setback with the exhaust.. I was planning on running it thru the outdrive until i got it installed and looked at it a little closer. The connection is only 4 inches. The engine exhaust is 5. I checked with volvo and they said there would be too much back pressure for my engine. Can't run it down the middle and out as there is no room because of the outdrive. So I cut up part of the port aft deck and will run it basck as far as possible to keep it above the waterline and out the side.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:26 pm
by DAYTRIP
Awesome, a couple suggestions on vacuum. I don't like breather as it can leave the top dry. You are vacuuming from a single point and the won't be ideal on a big part. If you get spiral wrap that is used to wrap wiring and fun that around the perimeter it will pull vacuum evenly all the way across the part. To connect it get a nylon tee and put it in the spiral wrap then make a small slit in the bag to have the tee penitrate. Put a little double stick tacky tap on the inside of the bag at the penetration and dome on the out side as well. Then just use peel ply on top of the part. Big pleats like 6" are your best friend. Trust me on that run the peel ply yo the spiral wrap so it acts like a resin break.

You can see the spiral wrap and pleats on this layup.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:04 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Great advice. Thanks

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:37 am
by DAYTRIP
This is an infusion but it shows the connection to the spiral wrap more clearly. Also wanted to ask the dimensions of your door to the cabin and any lessons learned there. Thanks

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:44 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Entry is about 18 wide by 48 tall. It is a little tight but I don't plan on spending any time down there. Rod and tackle storage is about it except for a porta toilet for the rare lady. Do you use perforated peel pry? It looks like masking tape around the last shot. Is that what you use around the perimeter or the special soft two sided stuff?

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:53 pm
by DAYTRIP
All the sealing tape is the double sided sticky tape. I use masking tape and paper go keep resin of the sealing tape while I am laying up. Be sure the bag and tape is all fitted and ready to go before you start laying up. This includes the pleats. I get one side down then dry fit the rest. Then pull the bag back and protect it.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:02 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Here are some pix of progress.

Brow is glassed, helm is glassed in place, starboard aft deck is glassed, aft deck hatch gutters glassed, hatches glassed. Fore deck hatches cut and ready to glass.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:04 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Have been playing with seating

Will add another helm chair.

Have also worked on the windless

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 pm
by dpshack9
Mike,

I forgot to ask while I was home, what are you using as pigment in the epoxy?

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:44 am
by Mbiggerstaff
It is just pigment from Paxton. Comes in a 4 oz bottle. I was thinking I would have white in the glass in case the paint gets dinged it will still be white. If you don't have an account or can't find some I will be glad to send some your way. Comes in other basic colors as well.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks great mike. You are cranking along..

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:23 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Progress goes on. Starting to look like a boat again. Here are some pix. More in gallery.

The rear facing seats will have a life well under one of them and the other will for tackle storage drawers. The deck under the chairs will be made to lift to get to the engine easier. We are learning how to vacuum and are doing OK on flat pieces. No pix of it today but have the exhaust run out the port side. A little more work on it and i will be ready to glass the other aft deck. Once that is done I will be ready to hang the fish box.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:36 am
by Rickk
Really taking shape - won't be long now 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 am
by DAYTRIP
Awesome Mike! Looks cool. The vacuum makes a nice part doesn't it? You have a pic with the out drive mounted?

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:48 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Yes the vacuum does make a nice part. Takes me a little more time it seems but I haven't started fairing yet. It is getting faster with each piece. I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Ran out of bagging film and tried to reuse some rather than wait for the shipment. Won't do that again!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:00 pm
by DAYTRIP
That is a monster! I have used the visqeen from HD before. As long as there are no funky angles it seems to work but not nearly as nice as the film.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:33 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Started fairing some of the vacuum parts today. I used a cloth release film which was touted as eliminating the need to sand before fairing. Well it works like a charm! Surfaces were easy to fair and required very little compound. Will let it dry today and sand and prime on Friday. Got the film from Fibre Glast. Will post pix later

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:06 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Took advantage of a nice day and did some more sanding on the hatches. This is the last of the vacuum job on the hatches. They turned out great.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Got the gutters glassed today which tied the inside panel to the floor.

Finished the exhaust and put the floor back down. Going to try to vacuum the glass on the deck next chance I get.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:15 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Here is the seat with the live well installed. Ready to glass the outside of the seat now

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:19 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

This is the switch/radio box. It will go on the helm with a lid.

The beginnings of the teak helm pod

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:20 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Windless/anchor ready for final glass

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:22 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Collecting parts that will be fitted and then removed to prime and paint

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:42 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
The door is hung and functional

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm
by pee wee
That's an interesting door design, I assume there'll be something to affix the upper door in the raised position. You're making good headway now. 8)

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:56 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
The upper door is removable.. Special hinges. Will throw it down below when on board..

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:42 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Got a chance to work on the boat this morning.. Glassed the aft deck port side. Took some pix along the way

Cut the 1208 glass to fit.

Cut the fabric peel pry a couple of inches bigger than the glass. After the glass has been wet, you have to make sure this layer goes down smooth. If you leave wrinkles in it, you have to same them out. It smooths out easily over the wet glass.

Cut a layer of perforated peel pry about the same size as the fabric peel pry

Cut the breather fabric making sure that is is small enough not to overlap the perforated peel pry. I have found that if it gets in contact with the glass or the fabric peel pry, it is a pain to get up.

Fitted the vacuum layer

Two sides of the vacuum bag are attached and it is peeled back. the three layers on top of the glass are removed and then it is game on.

It takes about 3 quarts of resin to do this much area. To make sure that I have enough time, I use slow harder and keep it cold to add a little more time

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:54 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Turned on the pump, fixed a few leaks and let it run about 6 hours

Took everything off and it is ready for faring compound

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:16 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Work goes on. Just fairing and sanding. Not much to show

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:25 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Progress goes on. The fish box is ready to set but we want to put some finish paint behind it first.

Here are the scuffers and exhaust

The helm

The gunnels Put 1208 on both sides of 1/4 plywood. made some hockey stick shaped ribs which I glued to the hull and underneath the gunnel to stiffen it up

From the bow

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:52 am
by Rickk
Really coming together now - great craftsmanship - helm area looks huge :!:

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:18 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks great mike! It does look huge. It is funny, I think mine looks so much smaller with the center console. You are really doing a nice job. That will be a unique machine to be proud of.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:52 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks guys. It seems big when sanding and fairing. Can't wait to get a coat of primer on it

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
well 3 weeks of work and getting real close. did the last major glass work today. put a layer of 8oz on gunnels. need to sand and fair them and then primer.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:03 pm
by lawtoolguy
Really like your transom fish box. Your doing some clean work. Any plans yet for a top?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:08 am
by Mbiggerstaff
just a simple hardtop

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:36 pm
by DAYTRIP
Come on Mike....what is the next boat you mentioned :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 am
by Mbiggerstaff
came across another 28..... couldn't let her just sit there.

Have been out of town the past couple of weeks but back now. little bit of sanding left after MANY rounds of fairing. Hope to prime next weekend weather permitting this week. It is in the 20s here now

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:59 pm
by DAYTRIP
I love it! I just told my wife that there is someone as crazy as I am out there :help:. Any plans or just there for now :?:

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:42 am
by Mbiggerstaff
FINALLY got to prime.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:15 pm
by DAYTRIP
WOW! Looks great. Nice to achieve that milestone. Congrats :D

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:47 pm
by Cracker Larry
Wow again! That looks great 8)

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:26 pm
by bateau-webmaster
Whooowee, that looks pretty sweet. Can't wait to see it in color. 8)

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:59 am
by Mbiggerstaff
After the round of primer, we faired some more. Made a little mistake and mixed the converter from the primer with the base for the spray fair. Didn't harden well and was a PAIN to sand but finally got it done

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Ever had one of those days when things go perfect. Had one yesterday. I use a pressure pot HVLP system to apply my products.
The pressure pot that I have been using came from Harbor Freight. Last round of primer it exploded so i bit the bullet and bought a 2 qt Binks. I mixed up the spray fair correctly from the day before and it sanded like butter. I had done a little more research on my C A Technologies gun and made a few pressure and volume adjustments. Mixed up 1.5 gallons of high build and went to it. The system sprayed like it never has before. Laid down a nice thick coat without runs or orange peel. Took about 3 hours to prime the whole boat again and ended up mixing another half gallon.

Here she is. Ready for more fairing.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:21 pm
by lawtoolguy
Looking good. I was thinking of picking up the HF HVLP pressure pot for my topcoat.
Been using a HF 1.4 tip HVLP for the primer which has worked so far but gets old mixing and waiting to catalyze .
Just had to clean it real well before and after each use.
Did you spray much With the HF gun before it died?

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:38 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
The HF gun worked OK for a while if you know how to do a little work on them. It was OK for primer but I was not about to use it for topcoat. The needle would stick partially open no matter how much i cleaned it which was very inconvenient to say the least and I could not find a way to but a replacement needle. . I have been very happy with this C A Technologies gun. have used it half a dozen times now without any issues and I just keep getting it better tuned in. The gun had great reviews and was a lot less expensive than some of the other name brand guns. I really like the pressure pot system because you can turn the gun upside down and spray without worrying about spilling paint. I continued to use the HF pressure pot long after i retired the gun. It finally blew out the fluid port (threads stripped out) causing a volcanic eruption of primer. If you get one don't be as anal as I was with cleaning. I probably wore out the chinese aluminum threads by taking it apart and cleaning it each time.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:36 pm
by lawtoolguy
That was the main reason for me also I was hoping to be able to get the gun into tighter spots with out worrying about how much primer was left to spill out. What model CA tech do you have? Not looking to have a blow out and waste top coat but also don't plan to spray often enough to pay the big money for a name brand gun. I just received more primer yesterday and can't wait to finally see it one solid color. Only to yet again wet sand the whole thing again.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:48 am
by Mbiggerstaff
I got the FE-line kit. It came with 4 tips from .7 up to 2.2. I found it for about $325 with free shipping.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:14 am
by pee wee
lawtoolguy wrote: . . .but also don't plan to spray often enough to pay the big money for a name brand gun.
Have you considered selling the gun when you're finished with the project? How about buying a good quality used gun?

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 am
by DAYTRIP
Mike, boat looks great! Huge milestone for you. I have sprayed a ton of paint thru one of those $25 HR Hvlp cup guns. not a great pattern for top coats but ok for other stuff. I sprayed to Vc performance with that one I think?

Looking forward to seeing you get past paint but not as much as me getting past paint :help:

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:13 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
If someone wants the HF gun, its yours. I will throw the pot in the box. maybe someone can find a fix for it.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:48 pm
by lawtoolguy
Mbiggerstaff wrote:I got the FE-line kit. It came with 4 tips from .7 up to 2.2. I found it for about $325 with free shipping.

Looking at a CA tech 2 Quart pot with 15 ft lines and I'll check out the FE-Line for the gun...thanks for the info

Haven't had much luck buying used things always end up with someone's junk.
I was thinking a decent setup was going to run 8-900 but CA setup maybe around 4-5
If I go with the HF pot and 15' Hose and gun kit it may work out.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:59 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
The HF stuff is no charge. Wish I would have just bought the whole C A setup to start.

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:38 pm
by lawtoolguy
Mbiggerstaff wrote:The HF stuff is no charge. Wish I would have just bought the whole C A setup to start.

Should have quoted Pee wee in last post. Thanks for the offer but I'm thinking I may take your advice. Should finish priming this weekend then decide what I'm going to do for applying topcoat.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:56 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

The sanding continues. Have sanded hull inside and out with 80 then 120. have a few small spots to repair and sand. Hoping to get that done tomorrow before the rain starts while it is outside in sunlight so I can see. Once I get that done it will be ready for finish primer.

Got another 1-2 coats of high build primer on these parts yesterday. Need to sand and repair small spots then they will be ready for finish primer.

Have hardtop glued together. It will be 9.6 x 11. Have supports cuts and ready for plywood for mold. The hardtop has already been and "adventure". It is BIG. Had to lay a glass tape over all the seams so I could move it. First time I tried, the seams came apart.

Started working down in the cabin a little yesterday. Have been using this product from Alexseal called "spray fair". Have been brushing and using a puddy knife to put it on to repair small defects. It goes on easy and is easy to sand. Decided to spray some since it says spray fair. used a 2.2 tip and ran the pressure up on my pot to 30. It sprayed great. Came out in a super thick layer that covered small and medium defects great. smoothed out the inside hull and other less than pretty areas nicely. wish I would have discovered this earlier in the process. It would have saved a lot of fairing the old fashioned way. will try to get some pix of the results for you to see

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:02 pm
by DAYTRIP
That foam looks familiar :doh:. Boat is looking great. I always was interested in that spray fair but never used it. Is it a lot thicker then high build? Might give it a whirl on the interior.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:50 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Jim, the spray fair has the consistency of something like cake batter before thinning. 20%reduction is a thicker than high build before thinning.

Above is my hardtop adventure so far. I used a layer of 1708 and 1208 biax on the top running at 90 degrees. I thought the glass would make the foam hold its shape after vacuuming but I was sorely disappointed. After i took it off the mold it laid completely flat. Quiet a problem!

After some head scratching and advice from David, we have decided to add ribs on the bottom and glass them in to force it to hold its shape and then cover the ribs with 1/4 Okoume to give a flat bottom.

On the other front, the sanding continues. Rained like the flood on tuesday so did not get to give the boat a good once-over. Started on the removable parts in the shop instead. Will go ahead and finish them to get some practice with the finish primer and paint before going after the big project.

Since we will be painting inside, I want to get a positive pressure respirator. Found a two man one on EBay that won't break the bank. Any experience/advice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-man-supplied- ... xys4RR8Cbh

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:54 am
by DAYTRIP
Once the underside is glassed it will hold the shape no problem. When I did mine I did both sides in one shot so did not run into that problem.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:29 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
How much glass did you use?

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:56 pm
by DAYTRIP
Two skins of 1708

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:46 pm
by jacquesmm
It should keep the camber BUT I always give the mold a little extra camber IF I do the outside of the camber first.
The reason is that the resin shrinks. Polyester shrinks up to 2%. Epoxy barely shrinks but may pull a little bit, less than 0.5%.
If the resin shrinks on the outside face, it will pull the part back to flat . . .
Which resin did you use?

If you infuse the 2 sides at the same time, no problem but just to be sure, I always give it a little more camber.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:24 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I use West epoxy. I have decided to go ahead and add ribs to keep the camber that I want. Will use feather lite plywood so it won't add much weight. Will also give me the option of recessed teaser reels and some nifty LED lights

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:17 pm
by Grinder
Mbiggerstaff,
Been lurking your thread for awhile, really like what your doing to this 28. Beautiful craftsmanship!

You asked about the supplied air system above so I thought it's time to comment. I've owned my breath cool system from turbine products for almost 3 years now and couldn't live without it. When I originally called them the guy who answered the phone was the owner, we talked about the different things I do and he made his suggestions. I ended up buying the painters hood, the full face mask and the welding helmet insert. For boat repair mostly I use the painters hood, this hood with a cheap suit from HD and I can grind glass for hours. No more labored breathing through a respirator and once you blow yourself off with compressed air you climb out and your clean and itch free.....I love it!

The only painting I've done with it was spraying my backhoe. I didn't have good airflow in my shop so the tear offs became difficult to see through pretty quick. If you can control the overspray I'm sure it would work great.

Hope that helps!
D

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:43 pm
by Grinder
I've done a lot of spray painting (mostly automotive).......after thinking about it a little more I think the next time I shoot something I will order the half mask. The painters hood and full mask are great for protecting the eyes but honestly the distortion looking through the glass/tear offs and then add the overspray build up is too much for my eyes and makes it difficult to control your flow.

Also dealing with an extra hose has its issues but you get used to it quick. Having a helper (I never have one) keeping your lines sorted out would be a great asset.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:32 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:34 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Paul got some finish primer on yesterday!

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:49 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Anyone used the Kiwigrip? Can you paint over it to make it match?

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:20 am
by jacquesmm
Yes but the "grip" will not be as agressive anymore.

We slowly shifted to sell white only and let the builder tint it at Home Depot. You select a color number and keep it. It is much more consistent than the variations in the Kiwigrip batches.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:44 pm
by Cracker Larry
I've had tint made for the white a couple times at our local Lowes, it does pretty well.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

FINISH PRIMER!!!

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:25 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looking good! Getting close now. What a project right?

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:42 am
by Mbiggerstaff
You got that right! Got it all primed yesterday! 6 gallons of finish primer for 2 coats on everything. Now to sand again. Could this be the last round?

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:04 am
by DAYTRIP
Brutal! What color are you going with?

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:05 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Here are some pix before I gave her the pox today. Dabbed a "few" spots with spray fair. Will have to spot prime a few places.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Didn't prime the cockpit floor as I needed to cut some access holes for the fuel pick ups and senders but had to find the right tool first. Needed holes to be 6 1/2 " but could not find a hole saw bigger than 6. I do love Amazon! Found this and it did the trick

Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:16 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Spent yesterday sanding. Started with 120, then 220 and finally 400. Probably have one more long day to go. Any preferences on what type of sander to use for finish sanding. I have been using electric random orbital. Is air better/worse or is there no difference ?

Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 am
by pee wee
Air is a bit better, but it takes a big compressor to run an air sander constantly. The air sanders run at a higher r.p.m.(up to 15,000), run cooler, tend to vibrate less (easier on the hands), are usually lighter, but there are some good electric sanders out there.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:14 pm
by lawtoolguy
Coming along nice! The hole saw for your fuel pickup worked awesome. Wishing I had cut mine out but really didn't want anymore holes in the deck then needed. If I decide to cut them out that is the trick. For final sanding on the big fields I still used the 17 " sanding boards and hand sanded the small areas but you have a lot more area to sand.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:18 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Took some time away from the boat for my daughter's wedding. Back to it now.

Took her out for a bath yesterday after some more sanding.

Brought her back in and put the last coat of finish primer on today

Got some work done on the hardtop as well. Got the radio box doors cut and the face installed today as well as the pex for wire chases. finished installing the wood perimeter . Ready to install the plywood to cover the ribs and glass it all together.

going to fish the Big Rock Tournament next week, then will get back to it again.

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:50 pm
by Cracker Larry
That boat is going to be much nicer and better than the day it left the Bertram plant. Fine job done there 8)

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:33 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks good. Lots of sanding right!

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:47 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Work continues. Hardtop ready for glass. Have Paul's shop converted into paint booth. Put plastic up over everything and set up air filtration

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Finished all the removable to test the booth and gun with the topcoat paint. Got it dialed in.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:53 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Gave her one last soap bath and moved her into the booth. Spent about 4 hours taping her out

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 am
by Mbiggerstaff
AND THEN WE PAINTED!!!! PIX TO FOLLOW

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:45 am
by tcason
awesome

please share any spraying tips!

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 pm
by DAYTRIP
That is huge! Glad to see your progress. Going to be nice!

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Images/88770/IMG_1322.jpg[/img]

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 am
by Mbiggerstaff
No real secrets spraying. Used a 1.4 tip with my CAT gun. 10psi at pot and 45 at gun. Used Alexseal topcoat and reduced by 35-40%. Sprayed 3 coats with a 30 min flash time between coats. The Alexseal sprayed very nice and pictures do not really do it justice. The fun will be tomorrow when we do the topside. I think taking the time to get plastic over the walls and the air filtration system helped prevent dust/dirt. The real test will be on flat surfaces.

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:31 am
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful 8)

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:33 am
by topwater
Wow... nice :!:

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:21 am
by DAYTRIP
I AM JEALOUS :oops: looks really good. You guys have to be and should be thrilled. Nice work. I can pull mine up this weekend now that you have some practice :D

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:56 am
by Mbiggerstaff
The booth will be empty. Bring it on. I have to admit. It looks better than i thought it would

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:33 pm
by DAYTRIP
I really like working with the alexseal primer and paints. As it cures it will look even better

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:32 pm
by Jeff
The boat looks great!! Really well done!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:58 pm
by Rickk
Nice job!! :D

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:39 pm
by Mbiggerstaff

Yesterday was topside day. Taped , set out nonskid areas for walking and then spent 3 hours spraying. 3 of us busting butt in a blistering paint booth! called it quits after 2 coats. will have to sand out a few runs and then do one final coat.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:51 pm
by cape man
Gorgeous job!

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:39 pm
by Jeff
Really nice job!! The boat is going to be beautiful!!

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:10 pm
by Rickk
Looks lie you're getting this down pat! Looks great from here.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:35 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Got the last of the topcoat on Sunday on the topside. It really looks good but I have a problem and need some advice. I taped off the hull using painters plastic to prevent overspray. I pulled it outside to do the sanding which took a couple of days. I took the tape and plastic off before pulling it back in. When the plastic came off, the paint was discolored where the plastic was touching it. I looked dull. Like there was wax on it. I have tried to get it off with acetone, reducer, paste wax, and polishing compound all without success. Anybody got any ideas before I break the sander? Im guessing the sun heated the plastic and transferred some to the paint.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:47 am
by DAYTRIP
Bummer! My guess is another top coat but you might want to call the alexseal rep first. I might have a number if you want to try that.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:51 pm
by Rickk
Yeah, I agree it's a bummer - I had my console covered in plastic (thin drop cloth) and I came out and the drop cloth was stuck to the gelcoat in quite a few places and it was a b*tch to get off. It also discolored the gelcoat even though the plastic is clear :doh: I'm thinking off gassing or something didn't mix with poly whatever the drop cloth is made of.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:32 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
talked to Alexseal and got the low down on plastic and polyurethane. It is fine to use as long as it stays dry. If water gets between the plastic and the paint, the water is absorbed into the poly which causes the discoloration. Once this occurs you have two choices. It is possible to use rubbing/polishing compounds to remove the discoloration. Unfortunately the discoloration will come back about 50% of the time.. The other choice is to sand and repaint. I spent today painting the bilge and wet sanding the hull. Decided to wet sand so I could leave it in the paint booth and avoid all the dust with the wet bilge paint. It is slower to hand wet sand but I figured I will save time in the long run. Hope to finish sanding tomorrow and get ready to spray on another 2 coats this weekend.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:53 pm
by DAYTRIP
If you have a pneumatic da you can put a Velcro pad on that and use wet sanding paper. That is what I used on the bottom to wet sand the vc performance. Sorry you are faced with that :help:

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:50 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Great idea.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:04 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Finished off the painting yesterday except under the cabin. Now for the rigging

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:14 am
by Rickk
Sure looks purdy - nice job!!

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 am
by topwater
Wow ...nice job all around 8)

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:31 am
by Jeff
Again, wow!! Really great paint!! Boat looks great!!!

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:39 am
by TRC886
Beautiful work :!: :!: :!:

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:38 am
by pee wee
I like those colors; nice work, too.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 am
by Mbiggerstaff

Started assembly. WHAT FUN!

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:25 am
by Jeff
She is looking great!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:25 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! Congrats. What a long road.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:44 am
by Cracker Larry
That is an awesome paint job! Awesome restoration all around 8)

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:41 am
by DLB
Just stunning! Great work. What is the power going to be?

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:27 pm
by Fuzz
Man is that coming together nicely of what :!:
Really nice work all the way around.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:30 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Hoping to swing the Yanmar 6ly (370 hp) in this weekend and adjust it fore/aft to get it sitting right. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I understand that these boats should sit a little bow down at rest. Plan on filling tanks 3/4 full. Anything else? Once done will order drive shaft. While it is being made hope to get aluminum work done. That is the plan. What actually happens is yet to be seen. Still a lot of work to be done.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:04 am
by DAYTRIP
I would not count on bow down trim at rest and definitely not on plane. My experience was the flybridge model sat bow down with empty tanks only. Not sure if you are looking for advise on alignment? The only thing I will tell you there is that the rear mounts create a lot more movement then the front in terms of parallel face alignment so if you are way out shining in the front might be required. Not sure if that helps :doh:

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Yes I am looking on advice on alignment. I can move the engine about 18 inches fore or aft to try and get the best balance.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:42 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Tried to drop the motor in last weekend but ran into issues with the rear motor mounts. Pulled it out and in the process of making new ones. Have been installing all the things that I have been collecting.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:09 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Still waiting for new motor mounts.. In the meantime have been installing bilge pumps, wash down and freshwater pumps, seats, tilt/trim pump, running wires, ect Got power to distribution panel today and will be hooking the systems up and testing them in the meantime. Will try and get some pix this week.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Thought I would post a few pix of progress

Got the windshield up for a temp fit.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:32 am
by DAYTRIP
Very cool! How did you fab the side windows? Looking forward to seeing the boat in profile.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:16 am
by Mbiggerstaff
here are a few pix of down below.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:12 am
by tcason
WOW - very impressive! :D :D :D

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:05 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks guys. The side glass was made by Ocean Dynamics. It was not cheap but the quality is excellent

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:05 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Slow progress continues. Wiring just about complete. All systems operational, just tidying things up. Got new motor mounts. now just a matter of getting everything organized again set the engine again. maybe next weekend if Matthew doesn't do too much damage to the NC coast. Will post some pix when that happens

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:48 am
by Cracker Larry
Really looking good. Are those U shaped cut outs for rod storage? If so, you must have a LOT of rods! I count 28. I used to carry that many on my charter boat.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:16 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Yes they are for rods but I don't have that many. It just gives me lots of spacing options.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:07 am
by Jeff
Mbiggerstaff, nice option for storage!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:30 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
have been making progress. Moved it outside today and got some pix.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Hope to swing the engine next weekend and get the drive shaft measured and ordered. Once done it is off to Edenton to have the aluminum work done.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:48 pm
by Marshall Moser
Enjoyed watching this one.

Hope you're staying dry. My girlfriend is from Farmville. Very familiar with Pitt Co.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:27 am
by Fuzz
Now that I can see the whole boat outside man is it nice looking. You have done one fine job on that boat :!:

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:15 am
by Eric1
Outstanding job!! You should be proud my friend! 8)

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:33 am
by Rickk
Sweet!! As said before - sure looks nice out in the sun.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:54 am
by Jeff
Mbiggerstaff, She looks great!! Very nice choice of colors for the paint!! What work have you done or will you do in the cabin? Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:15 am
by Walkers Run
That's beautiful! What a great offshore Boat. Can't wait to see it splashed.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:28 am
by pee wee
Nice job, she turned out a beauty!

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:57 am
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! Nice job. Looking forward to seeing it in the h2o.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:18 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Engine in and mounted. Shaft ordered. working on getting the hardtop finished so it can go get the aluminum work done.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:33 pm
by fallguy1000
Thanks for the pictures. I have been lurking a lot on this boat. My wife and I both know a biggerstaff here in Mn. But I like your boat a ton man and I like hardtops best, so I can't wait to see it on!

Very nice!

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:17 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Finished hooking up the engine and fired her up yesterday.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:49 am
by Jeff
Nice!! Getting close now!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:09 am
by Mbiggerstaff
no new pix but slow progress continues. with the change in time and the weather it has been hard to spend a lot of time on it. I have the shift and throttle connections complete. Purged the steering and it was extremely hard to steer so i have ordered a power assist unit to add on. It should arrive today. the hardtop is all primed just waiting for a warm day to spray topcoat. Still waiting on shaft.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:52 pm
by fallguy1000
Do you think the metal brackets would weigh less than a separate foam or wood engine stringer? Just curious about the cradle you had to build for the mount is all..

Not critical, just wondering/learnging. Are those stacks of blocks aluminum chunks or glassed up foam?

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:57 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I based my motor mounts on two prior boats which i owned that had center mounted diesels. both of them used a metal bracket thru bolted thru the stringers. This configuration allows for maximum strength from the rotational forces of the diesel with the fewest number of holes thru wood which is going to get wet no matter what you do. Unfortunately for me on this go round, i had the motor mounts made 2 low so i had to raise the engine. That is what the aluminum spacers are for. These are made of 1/4" stainless which really weren't that heavy considering the strength they provide. I did take it to the scales last week. She weighs 7K with everything except the hardtop. figure completed dry weight to be about 7500.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Took her to the water on monday. Wanted to make sure raw water pickup and exhaust all working OK. Everything worked as expected. Got the top of the hardtop finished, ready to flip it over and finish the bottom.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 am
by DAYTRIP
That is a great picture/milestone! Did you float it and run it? Congratulations!

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
We ran it but did not float it. I was afraid that i would be unable to get it back on trailer without propulsion.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 pm
by Jeff
Excellent point!! She looks great!! Really nice work!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:24 pm
by Fuzz
What Jeff said :!: Love the name for a rebuilt boat :D

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:09 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
What a great way to end the new year. Got the hardtop finished on Wednesday! I am very happy with the way it turned out even though it it is heaver than I had thought it would be. Im guessing 4-500 but hard to tell since it is so big. Will know for sure in the near future

Have been waiting for Mac Boring in NJ to get my shaft done but they haven't done squat. Fortunately the shop that did all the original shaft work for Albermarl when they first started with jack shafts is an hour from here and lucky for me the aluminum shop is just a few blocks away. Should have gone with them to start. So the plan is to hook up on Jan 11 and pull the boat and the top to Edenton and leave them. With a little luck I will go and pick her up a few weeks after I drop it off and be ready for a ride. It may be a little chilly but I will deal with that.

Other than that i have been making the wiring neat and organized and adding sound and thermal insulation below deck.

So this will be the last post this year. Thanks for all the help and Happy New Year.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:59 pm
by DAYTRIP
Wow that really looks great. Nice job! I am surprised that it would weigh that much. We might be in the water for the first time at the same time. Difference being I will have a lot left to do. Happy new year Mike!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:40 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Well today was a really big day. David and I hooked up the boat and hardtop and took them to Edenton, (home of Albemarle boats) for the final big event.

Steve Byrd at Ashley Welding is doing the aluminum work and Doug Layton at Layton's Boatworks is doing the shaft. Estimate 2-3 weeks to completion.

Can't Wait

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:36 am
by Jeff
Mbiggerstaff, great milestone!!! Boat looks fantastic!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:58 am
by Walkers Run
Great looking boat. Love the color. Love the name! Can't wait to see it with that beautiful top on.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:14 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looking great! We might touch the water at the same time yet! Anxious to see the top on it.

Jim

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm
by cape man
Beautiful work! Getting REALLY close...

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:29 pm
by gonandkarl
Beautiful boat it is unbelievable what you have done in the last 2 years.

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:57 pm
by fallguy1000
What trailer did you purchase Mike? Maybe I could search the thread, but I'm not sure how, figured easier and friendlier to ask.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:09 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Trailer is Fastload. Purchased it several years ago. Sorry for the late response. Boat has been away so I haven't had anything to report until today.

Aluminum work almost done. Top to go on tomorrow.. Drive shaft next week.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm
by Jeff
Mbiggerstaff, really nice aluminum fabrication!! Your boat is going to look awesome!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:04 pm
by DAYTRIP
Very cool. Looks good. You are almost there!

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:52 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
TOP IS ON!

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm
by Jeff
That top looks great!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:30 pm
by Fuzz
That is stunning looking.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm
by Rickk
Came together real nice - great job!! 8)

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:37 am
by pee wee
Sweet! Looks great!

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:01 pm
by DAYTRIP
Well done Mike! You still have hull #2 in the wings?

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 pm
by cape man
Beautimous!

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:53 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Hull #2 waiting for her turn. Trying to decide what to do. Have a few ideas stirring around.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:21 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Drive shaft is installed!!!! They need to fab some safety covers and then I will pick her up. Sooo close.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:59 pm
by DAYTRIP
Awesome! Let's see what that puppy will do.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Got to splash her on Saturday!!

Prelim numbers indicate speed to be 32-33 but tach not working correctly so not sure at what RPM. It was reading 2500 but bouncing around. Floscan also not working so unsure of burn rate. Will let you know after next trial. Maybe it won't be so cold next time and I will have a longer area to make a run.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 am
by Jeff
Mbiggerstaff, That is a beauty!! Send me some pictures of your engine compartment when you have time. Thank you, Jeff

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 am
by DAYTRIP
CONGRATULATIONS! She looks great. Floating high but much more level then mine. Had to be a great feeling. I have been checking the forum all weekend to see the first pics. Great job.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:23 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Yea she floats a little high but the tanks were only 1/2 full. Another 90 gallons will lower the stern some hopefully not too much. A little rocky at stop and idle speed but OK at 5-6 kts. I am very happy. Jeff do you need something specific in engine compartment or just general setup?

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 am
by DAYTRIP
What are the dimensions of your hard top? That thing is huge!

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 pm
by Fuzz
Beautiful boat congratulations :!:
That has to be a great feeling to see all your work pay off.
What kind of speed did she run originally?

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 am
by Mbiggerstaff
The hardtop is indeed huge 10' wide by 11' long. I wanted the entire crew to stay dry. I think the original Bertrams with twin 350 gassers toped out in the low 20s. 30s are perfect for me. We can rarely run faster from where I live. Running into a SW wind headed to the fishing grounds 40 miles away.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 am
by cape man
What happened to this boat?

Wow! To bring her back like that is amazing and inspiring.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:58 am
by Jeff
Cape Man, is this really the bog Mbiggerstaff started with?? Jeff

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:22 am
by Jaysen
Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:58 am Cape Man, is this really the bog Mbiggerstaff started with?? Jeff
Pics start on page one... and hell yes.... that's one amazing transformation.

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:20 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
I has been a while since i have posted so here is the latest.

Moved her to the coast last seeking hoping to get a lot done and maybe get offshore. Well the gale that blew for 3 days kind of ruined those plans.

Did manage to get her in the water saturday afternoon for about 4 hours. Not a single mechanical hiccup but having problems with getting the garmin electronics working correctly. the sounder will not show depth. it is one of the chirp transducers. unfortunately the guys at tech support don't work o n weekends and you have to be in front of the machine for them to help troubleshoot.

The tach and floscan were working and it looks like 32kts at 3600 rpm with a 20 g/h burn WOT. 2600 rpm gives me 24kts at 8g/h.

She is still to lite even with the extra 800 lbs from full tanks. Going to pick up some lead and start adding it as ballast till I get the chines in the water.
Will start with a 1000 lbs.

I will be in Jacksonville at the Southeast Boat Show in a couple of weeks if anyone would like to stop by the booth and get some of my custom wahoo lures

Here are a few pix with the riggers on:

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:01 pm
by cape man
Heading down to Cayman the week of the boat show, but would love to see your Wahoo lures. You have a company? Got a link? Have friends in the Anglers Club there who love Wahoo fishing.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:30 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! Glad you are using it.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:27 pm
by PNWcx25
It keeps getting better, nicely done!

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Have 1000 lbs of lead ready for pickup tomorrow. Salvage from sailboat keels. going to try and get electronics working and venture offshore on saturday. I must admit that i am a little nervous about it. I spent the night a few years ago drifting in the gulf stream waiting for the coast guard to rescue me. It was never a dangerous situation just not a great way to spent a night. Towboat said they were too busy to come get me and the first cutter that left from morehaed broke down so we had to wait for one to come from hatteras. That was the 3rd breakdown on that boat. I no longer own her!

The wahoo lures can be found on the website. www.crystalcoastlures.com

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 am
by DAYTRIP
I hear you on that first trip. Thankfully I have not had that experience before.

Interested in the lead? I think i need the same thing. I am surprised at how expensive it is, like a 1.20 a pound?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Yea the price is crazy. Got mine for $1.00/lb

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:28 pm
by Jeff
Guys, please tell me where you are buying lead for $1.00 to $1.20 per pound. I have quotes of nearly $2.00 and a customer needs 1000 lbs for his sailboat!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:46 pm
by DAYTRIP
I saw it online at roto metals I think?

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:56 pm
by Jeff
Daytrip, are they in South Florida?? Thanks for the help!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:34 am
by Mbiggerstaff
I got mine from a boat yard that does repairs. It came out of sailboat keels. I put too much in. Going to have to start removing some so I will have some if you are close.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 am
by Jeff
Mbiggerstaff, the customer is in South Florida!! Thank you but I will keep looking for a local purchase!! Thank you again, Jeff

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 am
by Mbiggerstaff
It looks like this project has come to an end. I made my first trip offshore this past weekend and ended up with mahi-mahi to share. Since last post i added 1000lb lead for weight and ended up taking it out. After I filled her with fuel, gear and a couple of crew i had difficulty getting her going. Engine would not spin up. Ended up downsizing the props by 2 sizes to finally her performing well. With current props i cruse at 21-22 its and top end at 26-27. fished all day Saturday with a 2 1/2 hour run each way to the steam and back and burned 70 gallons of diesel. Here are some pix of the finished boat. Will be starting the next one in July so look for that one to start. Still trying to decide if I'm going to do I/O or outboard. Be on the lookout.

I want to thank everyone for your help and encouragement. It has been a big help.

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:16 am
by Jeff
Mbiggerstaff, She looks and performs great, congratulations!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:56 pm
by DAYTRIP
Awesome Mike! 70 gallons is unreal. So your performance matches the twin gas inboards it sounds like but the fuel burn is way better. Took all the lead back out. Wow.

I still intend to send you those rigger based if you still want them. When you get going on the next let me know if I can help you at all. Congrats! That is huge accomplishment and I can imagine a great feeling.

Jim

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:44 pm
by Browndog
Looks great. What a purpose built fishing machine! Best wishes for many years of enjoyment.

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Thanks Jim for all you help. Your post have been an inspiration. Yours is getting really close as well. I love the tower! I would still like the bases when you get a chance to send them my way but there is no rush. I'm looking forward to the next one. Have some ideas but nothing definitive.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Hey guys, I need some help/advice. I used the boat to fish The Big Rock here in NC this past week so I gave it a good workout under every condition possible, slick calm to 4-6 ft seas. I have 2 issues that I need advice on. First is acceleration. The engine is a 370 hp Yanmar. The boat spins up really slow. It takes a long time to get the RPMs up enough for the turbo to kick in. I backed off on prop size already which helped but did not resolve the issue. Dropping prop size reduced my cruse from 26 to 22. If I drop it again I will be below my acceptable limits. Does this sound like a HP issue? Would increasing HP resolve this issue? If so by how much. I can get a Yanmar 440 hp in the same engine package that would be an exact drop in or do I need to go with something in the 500 HP range?

Second is down sea performance. Even on a quartering sea the boat slides and skates terribly. The boat is still really lite with the chines not in the water sitting still. Will making it heavier help with the sliding or is this just how the deep V of a Bertram performs. If I add a lot more weight will it help and if I do that what about my issue with acceleration.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 am
by cape_fisherman
For your prop questions, I would suggest you pop in at Bull's over in Beaufort.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:41 pm
by Fuzz
Dumb question but are you sure the engine is making its full rated HP?

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 pm
by DAYTRIP
I think you should verify your engine is running correctly Mike. In comparison to mine you have less gear in the water. I cruise at 33-35 at 4000 rpm which is probably less then 370 hp? You can find a hp curve for the Yamaha f250 and I will be happy to run at various rpm and tell you what I am getting.

My old one did what you describe to some extent but not super bad. I guess you are light. I think I am way light.

Let me know how I can help.

Jim

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am
by topwater
Also what gear ratio is the transmission :?:

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:16 pm
by Mbiggerstaff
Well it’s been almost another year. I did not get to fish any last fall thru this spring because of Florence damage but finally got back on the water in May. I did add nitrous and propane to the engine and tried several sets of props. What I found is that the nitrous really helped with takeoff. A 2-3 second burst and the turbo kicked in and she was off. The props I finally settled on had me cursing at 23-24 kits at 75% power and 27-28 at full. The propane allowed me to decrease RPM by a few hundred for the same results. The problem that I continued to have is that my exhaust temp was running too high. 1100-1400 depending on load. I cleaned the inter cooler again and rechecked for exhaust blockage. Nothing helped. I was afraid I would burn a valve or have some major failure at those temps so I decided to go ahead and change out engines. I found a Yanmar 6ly3 RTO 480 hp. Same footprint as the old engine so I rented an boom forklift and swapped them out. It was surprisingly easy. The new engine is electronic so I’m having to get new controls to interface with the engine and the manual transmission. Glen denning is working on that and hopefully will have an answer this week. Will let you know how it turns out.

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:43 pm
by DAYTRIP
That’s a big change mike. Isn’t your current engine a 315?

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm
by Fuzz
I am really surprised you did not melt that engine down. 1200f is getting pretty hot for a natural, I would have thought a turbo engine would have melted at that temp.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 am
by Mbiggerstaff
The current engine is a 370

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 pm
by fallguy1000
Hard for me to believe you can't get her to 30.

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:05 am
by Mbiggerstaff
Well its been quiet an adventure getting the new engine running. first problem was that the engine is all electronic and my outdrive is mechanical. I spent several months and went thru several different systems trying to only use one control to both shift and throttle. The companies systems that I tried assured me that theirs would work but after much wasted time and money I finally discovered that Yanmar has its own computer language so you have to buy their control. Their control does not have an actuator that will shift a mechanical transmission so I had to go with 2 controls, one for throttle and one for shift. No big deal but a lot of wasted time. Finally got it running and went for a test drive and the engine would not spool up under load and was loosing oil out the exhaust. That was an "OH SHIT" moment since the engine was sold to me as a 500 hr RTO. Pulled the engine and shipped it off to georgia for diagnostics. They found a blown piston on a 3000 hour engine. Ebay seller was noncooperative with refund/return so I had to pay out of pocket for a complete rebuild. Several months later the engine makes it back to me. Got it reinstalled and went for a maiden run yesterday

I HAVE A NEW BOAT!!! The extra 100 hp made the boat run like I had hoped it would from the beginning. It leaps out of the hole like a rocket. Cruises at 26-27 KTS at 70% throttle burning 9-10 gph, 5psi boost, and 40% load. WOT 32KTS. Trolling speed .7gph. She stays on plane at 13kts which is great for me as I do love some high speed whoo fishing.

Now I can get back to work on my outboard boat. Its getting close. Just the fairing and sanding and fairing and sanding and ...... left to go

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am
by fallguy1000
Glendinning Smart Actuator2 did not work?

I am buying 2 of them!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:08 am
by Mbiggerstaff
They told me it would not but i dont think they had the new actuator yet. The mechanical shift wasn't the problem. It was communication with the electronic engine

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19 pm
by boguesounder
Wow, just read through this entire thread. What a transformation and tremendous amount of work! I'm happy that you were able to get your engine issues worked out. Thank you for sharing. Fun to see. I'm out of Bogue Sound and will keep an eye peeled for you on the water!