Texas PY 12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Texas PY 12

Post by jacquesmm »

Then it is the correct glass.
Yes, it may be starving for resin.
Watch out with alcohol. Some types leave a residue. Acetone does leave a small residue, usually no problem. Lacquer thinner is good. There is no need to wash things off before applying epoxy as long as the plywood is reasonably clean.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Did you coat the bare plywood with resin first or attempt to wet it out through the glass cloth? Maybe the ply sucked the resin out of the glass?
Hank

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Yes, I coated with resin first, then put on the tape. The tape bonded well except for a few spots on the chine that may have been too sharp a corner. Little inch or two spots and only three or four. Then, wet on wet, I laid the woven cloth on, and it had trouble where it contacted the tape, not the bare wood. Maybe the tape underneath sucked a little of the resin out? I just finished cleaning up the other side and taping it like the pic above. That side even had three inch or two spots on the chine that were still soft. Places I clearly missed before re-taping. I cut 'em out and filled with thickened epoxy, since they are pretty small. I really focused on getting the tape I did today wet out, and used more resin than the other side. Probably too much :lol: Anyway, just a hiccup and I'm about ready to do a Hank Williams:

Movin' On Dougter :D

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Well, it's been a while. Work, life, respiratory infection, more work, more life, etc. Still I have kept at it an hour here and two hours there. I'd made a good mess of the bottom. Turned out, after looking back at the lamination schedule, I don't think I was even supposed to tape the keel joint on the outside :oops: Then when I did, I used old 12 oz biax, covered with 6 oz cloth over everything, all wet on wet, and made a mess by somehow starving areas of epoxy. Here's a glimpse of the mess I had to deal with.

It looked the same up on the keel. So, cut, sand, cuss, shake head, and then lot's of Quickfair and a coat of S3 primer 'till I got this:

It's smooth most everywhere, and fair in lots of places :roll: My earlier troubles with having to trim the side panels to get things to fit caused some small waves here and there. Not a big deal, and this little guy is for banging around our little gravel bar shallow rivers and chasing panfish with a fly rod. Not a show girl. This afternoon I rolled a a first coat of graphite.

Splochy and all, but just a first coat. Planning on two more then thank God get to turn her over and not look at the bottom again :D

Slow lane Dougster

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC »

Hey Dougster,
Glad to see you moving along over there, the slow lane is faster than I am :D . How's Nina?
John

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Hey John, how are you and Bonnie? Nina and company are fine. Nina got a pair of wedges on the motor last week to try and trim the nose down a bit, but she hasn't been on the water since to test. Work, life, and the kayak are takin' a lot of time. I'll post the result of the wedges as soon as I get a test run, but next weekend is out (Wife's birthday), so after that. I should run her down to Canyon Lake today but there's other stuff needs doin'. BTW, building this little kayak is lots of fun.

Still Dougster

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC »

Hey Dougster,
Don't know if you made it to Canyon Lake this week or not, lake is still 10' down. Ramps 1 & 6 are open on the South side, not sure what's open on the North side. We have been to Corpus 2x in the last 2 weeks, didn't make it to Mustang Island or Port A but did get by the USS Lexington. We will probably make the Plywooden Boat Show this October :D
John & Bonnie

JohnC
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JohnC »

I am a little early, Happy Birthday! :D :D
John & Bonnie

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

It's smooth most everywhere, and fair in lots of places :roll:
You crack me up :lol: :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Well, Larry, I tickle my own self sometimes too :lol: Glad to hear from you. I figure laughing beats most else and there's sure no harm at all in laughing at yourself. This kayak has been fun and I'll get it wet this summer. Nina is fine, but due some run time. We've had good rain this month and the local lake's up a bit. First good day off I'll take her out for a run. I've got a 5 day fishing trip at Rockport scheduled in June and need all system ready to go. I finish work for the summer in 3 weeks and then have all free time :D Next school year I'm only working half time, then that's probably it. So I'm thinkin' good time here and better on down the road! 'Course, who really knows, but it's best to be optimistic.

John I'm definitely planning on the boat show. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I'm planning on too much food and drink, and the wife's present is gonna be a new little 3 weight fly rod to play with in the kayak. Maybe we can hook up sometime this summer.

Still bein' Dougster