Instant downloads or printed plans?

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Instant downloads or printed plans?

Post by jacquesmm »

Until now, I (Jacques Mertens) have resisted the idea of offering downloadable plans or PDF files of our plans.
Richard Woods convinced me to change my mind about it.
We will start by offering all Woods designs either as Instant Downloads OR printed plans.
Instant downloads are just that: you pay for the plans online and get a link or email to download a computer file.
No waiting, no shipping cost, no printing cost means a lower cost and instant gratification :)

If you want a printed version, you'll have to wait a little bit.

Richard's most recent plans are mostly PDF files but some older designs are packaged in a zip file as GIF or JPG. In all cases, you can view the plans on your monitor, zoom in and out and print them on your own printer.
For viewing, there are numerous good programs, I like the free Paint.net for Windows.
You can print them at any scale you want: print to extent or zoom in on a detail.
There is a free download of sample plans available in the Woods directory at bateau.com.

We have the originals in the office and there is viewing problem with some of the hand drafted files, post here and we will help you.

You can also bring the files (on a thumb drive or email) to a blueprint shop or a store like Stapples. They will print them on large format paper if you prefer that.

Once the system is set up for Richard's plans, you will see some of my designs offered as Instant Downloads.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: Instant downloads or printed plans?

Post by ks8 »

I think you meant Paint.net and NOT Pain.net. :wink: :lol: :help:

Paint.net is not the name of the website, but the name of the program itself. I found it on CNet.com as a download. As always, be careful which download button you click on such sites. Some of them are deceptive and you end up installing *download software* that may be spy-ware or ad-ware software, and not the *software you wanted to download*. :wink: As of tonight, the CNet *Download Now* button did download version 4.05 of Paint.NET. But the page that displayed after it was finished had a *Free Download* button that looked very much the same, and that is NOT the Paint.NET download button. Stinkers.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

In general, I think PDF plans would be great for smaller boats, especially the kayaks etc, and especially for those of us outside the US. The postage cost alone makes quite a difference for me when ordering a set of plans and for the kayaks so far, I could of quite easily worked from PDFs.

Not sure about the bigger boats though, it may still be better to have the full plans for them.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

Posts already!!

I use Slimpdf reader rather than the very bloated adobe original. I have found the supplied free Windows programs open all the files formats I have.

On another forum I wrote

"Traditionally building plans were drawn on large sheets of paper as that was easier for the designer. But not so handy for the boatbuilder. By the time he'd finished with one big sheet it was torn, covered with glue and paint, never mind faded in the sun. So for my new designs I only supply drawings on A4 or A3 ("letter" and "legal" in the US) as they can be printed out as needed.

I also always supply all dimensions rather than relying on the fact that the drawing is to scale. Not many builders take their laptop into the boat shed

It does mean that designers now supply many more plan sheets even if there is no more actual detail given.

But think back to the 1800's, early 1900's. No dyeline printers or photocopiers back then, so if you wanted another drawing you had to trace it."

Only the full size patterns will need to be printed out on larger sheets. That can be done almost anywhere, even in the little Mexican village I am in right now, so to me it always makes sense to go for the download plans. All my most recent designs have flat panel hulls so it is easy to "join the dots" and draw them out full size yourself.

Richard Woods

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Corrected the PainT.net.
It's a nice program, like a reduced version of Photoshop and free.
You are correct about the Cnet download button, it is a disgusting trick.

About paper format, I agree with Richard. Lately, I try to use letter size or B size (double letter) and avoid larger formats.
I put the same amount of information on several small sheets instead of large difficult to handle sheet.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

jacquesmm wrote:Corrected the PainT.net.
Thank you. :)