cheap shipping on foam core

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

cheap shipping on foam core

Post by tech_support »

We now have a cheaper way to ship foam core. By cutting it into quarters (2'x4'), we can ship UPS and save A LOT. Shipping for one sheet this way is $25 - all the way to California.

Joel

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by LarryA »

Isn't that really trading shipping cost for epoxy costs? When one uses foam, s/he needs to be certain to epoxy the edges together, usually with thickened epoxy. If you quadruple the number of such seams, are builders really saving any money by saving on shipping?????

Just a philosophical question, not trying to be difficult - my apologies if it comes off that way.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I would never advise to do it for a whole boat! But I get requests very often for 1 or 2 sheets, so thats why I posted the shipping info.

There seems to be a lot of smaller projects for which people want the foam. In many cases, people cut the foam to fit odd shapes or curves, to do so they usually buy grid scored foam core. The grid scored it cut into small blocks (say 1.5"x1.5") that is held together on one side with a scrim fabric. Its lays down nice on a curve. You can also do this with smaller pieces of plain foam and cut the grid your self.

Joel

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by LarryA »

Aha, thanks for the clarification, makes sense now.

Eric
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric »

Joel, check DHL, they have much better shipping prices and no size restriction. I just shipped a kayak kit too big for UPS to JEM for 20 bucks.
Eric Van Nostrand
Rainbow Boat Works

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Their online tracking is nice too. A little more detailed than others. I should have my kit for "Secret Kayak Project X" tomorrow. :wink:

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Got the plywood kit from Eric today. I had only 3 sheets worth of wood so Eric shipped it in about a 4" x 12" x 8' box.

Nice work Eric but a pox on you for using foam peanuts! 8O :P