New design small motorsailer cat.

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

New design small motorsailer cat.

Post by jacquesmm »

Richard Woods is working on a new design and would like your input.
See a drawing here:
You can zoom on the drawing and see the specs.

Anyone volunteers to build one?
The boat is trailerable, no folding or any complicated maneuvers.

PS: The plans for 2 more Beach Cats will be posted later today.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: New design small motorsailer cat.

Post by rick berrey »

This will take care of a camp cruiser , it has about everything you can ask for in that size range . Will you also design a 16'er ? I haven't got my tent set up to build the horstman , but I plan on a secondary project like this to take care of excess foam , glass and epoxy on hand . Will it be about the same BOM as the standard version ? Rick

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

You may have replied to the wrong post? What "standard version"?

RW

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I was looking for the word Skoota 20 but couldn't quite pull it out of my brain at the time Richard , so I said standard version as it looks to be a sailing version of the Skoota . Rick

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

Thank you for clearing that up. Yes it's sort of inspired by the Skoota 24, because both are small boats and where the crew sits affects balance and trim. Also the central cockpit is safe and divides parents/children's sleeping cabins, always a good thing I find!

But it actually has a completely different hullshape (albeit still a chined hull) The most obvious being that it has a symmetric hull, not asymmetric as on the Skoota 20/24/28. Also the hulls are fatter for better load carrying and a bit more space.

And of course as a general thing, powerboats (however many hulls) have different shapes to sailboats. For several reasons:

In part (and simplifying) because there is more weight aft on a powerboat (bigger engines/tanks).

In part because all boats squat at the stern under power and you need to try to offset that effect.

And partly because, unlike sailing boats, powerboats tend to run at certain fixed/known speeds. So you can be more specific in the design and aim for a hull optimised for 15 knots, say, rather than one that has to be efficient as possible over the whole speed range. There are other reasons but those are the biggies

The hulls are 4mm sides, 6mm bottom, decks 6mm and bridgedeck 9mm. But the BOM for the Skoota 20 is near enough at this stage. The rig, rudders etc can be from a beach cat

Hope that helps

Richard Woods

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Thanks Richard

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

When I retire I will be at the mouth of Mobile Bay , this boat fits my planed needs with Bay , IC waterway , and river use . How will it do in gulf chop near shore ?

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

Quick answer is "I don't know" because the only sailing I have done in the Gulf was on a Goat Island Skiff at Port Aransas. So I don't know what "Gulf chop near shore" is like. However I have sailed the whole of the east coast USA and most of the west. I'd sail a Saylon pretty much anywhere on the east coast, so if the Gulf is like the Chesapeake or Maine or the trip from Long Beach out to Catalina Island then you'd be OK.

Having said that, it is a small boat and its seaworthiness should be compared to boats like the Potter 15, Montgomery etc.

If you want to sail further offshore then a boat like my Janus or Wizard would make more sense (you could safely sail either to the Bahamas for example). Still trailable but a bit longer and thus with a bit more seakindliness. I say "seakindliness" rather than "seaworthiness" because with a small boat it is always the crew who fail before the boat - the boat can take more punishment than you.

You can see youtube videos of my designs sailing if you search for my Woods Design youtube channel. You might find my "Day Sail to Russia" video, three singlehanded 24ft Strider catamarans sailing from the UK to USSR, especially interesting

Hope that helps. All boatplans are available from Bateau of course

Richard Woods

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Three to six miles out would be the max Richard , offshore trolling and maybe tied to a close inshore rig . Our waves along the Alabama gulf coast are not as rough as the seas near Port A , most of the time . The boat would be used as motor boat probably 90% of the time . The stick will be for the times in the past I wished I had one when the motor didn't start . Do you have an estimate on when the plans will be ready ? Rick

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

rick berrey wrote: Do you have an estimate on when the plans will be ready ? Rick
Well it looks like I have sold the first set to a very experienced small bridgedeck catamaran sailor who also sailed with me on my Strike 18 trimaran a couple of years ago.

I have just about finished the drawings for the Strike 20 trimaran so I was going to start on the Saylon next week. How long it takes to draw depends on how long I spend on forums!!!

Richard Woods