Efficient cats

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Efficient cats

Post by TomTom »

Richard some more food for thought http://www.argusboats.com/main/flybridge_model.php - though you may have seen this already. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but with a fishing boat I really believe that form follows function. I know that Saqa has a really clear idea of what he wants but the majority of fishing boats in the world are still flybridge models and such a design would be an important part of any plans portfolio

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

Yes I had seen that. Mind you, it isn't anything like my idea of a purpose designed fishing boat. It is more like my Skoota 36 powercat. The first two are being built as liveaboard boats so have an extended cabin offering more interior. The third has a flybridge and a smaller cabin as it will be primarily used for day charter so is similar in concept to the Argus.

BTW I have never seen a flybridge fishing boat in the UK, nor in the PNW, so clearly different fishing grounds need different fishing boats. They are all more akin to what have drawn. So that means it does make sense to fit your own deck on a standard set of hulls

Richard Woods

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

Several people have asked how the Skoota powercats are built and how they get joined

I hope this video helps answer those queries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RERXh8T4gwI

Richard Woods

Saqa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Saqa »

Woods Designs wrote: So that means it does make sense to fit your own deck on a standard set of hulls

Richard Woods
If that is a question then my thots on that would be 'not really'. I am ok with fitting out my own layout but!, more then the hulls need to be engineered if taking out paying clients for safety and civil liability reason. By this I mean all structural parts including the cross beams

I think the base point I have been trying to convey all along is that a ideal structural design would be one that can accommodate the the types of optimum layouts that guys like us seek to suit the our different styles and regions

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

My apologies, I write too fast and try to save words.

I meant that I would design the hulls, cockpit beams etc. Others (like Jacques for example) will design the central cabin, fishing layout etc

But there are some things that won't work however much you want them to, one being the "bowrider" deep forward cockpit, needed if you were to have a level platform from bow to stern

Richard Woods

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Once we are all clear about the platform, I volunteered to draw a few basic deck layouts in 3D based on what we have discussed here.
As Richard wrote, we must respect the integrity of the structure and some key features.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

SalmonMan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SalmonMan »

Woods Designs wrote:But there are some things that won't work however much you want them to, one being the "bowrider" deep forward cockpit, needed if you were to have a level platform from bow to stern

Richard Woods
In my limited experience (two different power cats) drift fishing with a small swell and little wind in the Pacific Ocean was that both boats drifted on beam. That is they drifted sideways and not with the bows into the drift. A sea anchor would have pointed the bows into the swell but can be problematic while fishing. This maybe something to consider if you are drift fishing and want to fish from the bows of a power cat.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I deleted a post that was argumentative.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Who needs a trailer :?:

This thread needed a little humor :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Larry.

We are stuck in this thread.
I have said it a thousand times, a boat is made from compromises. Richard and I understand what potential builders want even if there are different requirements but some requests are just impossible to satisfy.
We need a main beam that will get in the way, we can't lower the deck forward of that beam that means there will be steps.
The boat we referred too at the start(Sliver 29) does not have all those features for the same reasons.

Then, while I love the looks of the Shakina, we seem to forget that it is a much larger boat and again, no flush deck.

We can't give you a pontoon boat style platform without making it ridiculously high (and dangerous).

Bottom line, Richard posted a nice layout. Just imagine it with a console and tee top behind the main beam, without the cuddy cabin.

PS: I posted a study plans page for the Skoota 20 and will post one for the Skoota 28 tomorrow.