EMC clear coat and real wood

technical support and information on EMC topcoats and coatings
bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

EMC clear coat and real wood

Post by bigtalljv »

This should have been a question but now it's an "experience". I recently decided to refinish the wood exterior doors, that I am not replacing, about 10 years too late. I have spent several days sanding the top 1/16 that has deteriorated to mush after I spent several days bleaching the mold out of them. They look better but not perfect. Still serviceable.

So yesterday I pulled them down for clear coat. I had seen Joel's post about his table and how he used just a few ounces on his table and though great it's got good coverage. So I mixed up twice that for my two doors, they are 75% glass anyway, lots less surface area, and started rolling. I was then reminded if the most amazing thing. Real wood soaks up finish like a sponge. My first two coats went poof and sucked right in. The third coat was looking better so I stopped there. I let it dry over night and got up this morning and hit it with 320 and the final coat. They are looking pretty good but I've used just over half a quart on them. It's turned out to be a very expensive two doors.

I have three more that I need to do. All in the same shape except the front which is covered and has held up better. The front door is all wood, lots of surface area. So the question is should I epoxy coat them first? Instead of sealing with the most expensive finish on the planet do I used a coat or two of expoxy to seal and then clear coat?

Thanks
Jason

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: EMC clear coat and real wood

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's what I would do.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

So the question is should I epoxy coat them first?
absolutely, it will save you time and money

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

yeah, that dawned on me right after the first coat of the EMC.......$%%$#!!!

Now I'm experienced :doh:

Jason

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

what's the best way to seal with epoxy? Am I looking to get the wood fully covered and glossy or just go with the first coat that soaks in?

Jason

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I use 2 coats; I like to roll a thin coat on first, to seal up the wood so air bubbles do not come through on the second coat. On the second coat you can go pretty heavy, especially if the doors are laying flat.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I also use 2 coats of epoxy. I'm using a lot of clear finished cypress on the GF18 I'm building and it sucks up finish like a sponge. On the steering pod I used 2 coats of epoxy, sanded between, then 4 coats of EMC. The epoxy seals the wood, the clear coat gives the finish and UV protection. Epoxy is less than $100 a gallon. Compared to about $400 a gallon for the clear coat.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

Cracker Larry wrote:I also use 2 coats of epoxy. I'm using a lot of clear finished cypress on the GF18 I'm building and it sucks up finish like a sponge. On the steering pod I used 2 coats of epoxy, sanded between, then 4 coats of EMC. The epoxy seals the wood, the clear coat gives the finish and UV protection. Epoxy is less than $100 a gallon. Compared to about $400 a gallon for the clear coat.
Thanks joel/Larry,

The cost issue was what got me when I initially thought I could get all 5 of my doors done with the quart, then I used half that quart on two of the smaller doors!!

Ah well, live and learn. I'll just buy more and Joel is that much closer to retirement :)

Jason

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

So they look much better. This is not the exact same door before and after but the condition was pretty much identical. I still need to clean the glass. It's a lot of glass with a razor blade.

Before:

After:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

nice doors. I can see why you want to preserve them. :)