System Three Primer is great BELOW the waterline.

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

System Three Primer is great BELOW the waterline.

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't know where that rumor started but some say that the System Three Primer can't be used below the waterline.
This is not true. It clearly says in the primer literature that it is formulated to be used above and below the waterline. It clearly states that it is a perfect primer for bottom paint, below the waterline.
It is IMHO, the best general purpose epoxy primer available.
Use it in confidence below the waterline.

The System Three Yacht Primer is formulated to be used below the waterline.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

THE WALRUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: System Three Primer is great BELOW the waterline.

Post by THE WALRUS »

What would be a good bottom paint for a 16' power boat that has been primed with System Three Primer. The boat will be trailered so it will not be in the saltwater for long periods of time. Also does the primer have a shelf life. My primer is 3 years old but has never been opened.

Terry

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

We've got a number of great paint systems you could use. Most of the guys favor Awlgrip. It is a two part system, and can be rolled or sprayed. For ease of application, you might be etter served with a 1 part LPU paint, like Interlux Brightside, or Pettit EZ-Poxy. You don't need a true bottom paint, if your boat is going to be trailered. Most "Bottom Paint" Systems are for boats that live in the water, and are moored for long periods of time, they contain copper, and/or other biocides that inhibit growth of barnacles etc. (and aren't necessarily great for the environment, and the boat)

THE WALRUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by THE WALRUS »

Thanks for the very quick reply to my question. Is System Three Primer that is 3 years old but in unopened cans still good to use. Thanks again for your help.

Terry

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I"ll swear by the EMC stuff... Pricey but even and idiot like me got a good finish out of it. And it seems to take a beating pretty well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

THE WALRUS wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:43 am Thanks for the very quick reply to my question. Is System Three Primer that is 3 years old but in unopened cans still good to use. Thanks again for your help.

Terry
It should be, it's epoxy based. I would make sure when you open it, to stir really well, and make sure a mix stick hits the bottom of the can when you stir (if there's gooped up solids at the bottom, you might have to do a little extra stirring)

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

Consider graphite finish on the bottom.