Fred In Wisc CC14 Cheap Canoe at 80% Scale

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fred In Wisc CC14 Cheap Canoe at 80% Scale

Post by Fred in Wisc »

Thank you. That means a lot coming from a guy who just built a custom yacht in an 18' package. It's been cheap in materials but certainly not in time. But it's for my daughter, and she's worth it!

Daddy brag pic from the gun club last night. We're finally getting that right handed/left eye dominant thing worked out....

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

That is some straight shooting!
Tony

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Teach her to shoot left handed now while she's still young. There is no other good way to correct for a cross dominance. Although she seems to be on target just fine, she has to make mental corrections to get there. She can learn to pull the trigger with her left hand easier than to compensate the offset in her mind, and leave her mind free to think about more important stuff. She is certainly on the target as she is though 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

My son had the same issue with left eye dominance. It was a piece of cake for him to pick up shooting left handed. He was about the same age. Your canoe is looking awesome :!:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

That is exactly what we are doing. She was shooting left handed. Felt weird to her at first but once she practiced a bit and saw how accurate she was she was enthusiastic about shooting that way.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

A little more progress last night. Got the bulkheads that separate the flotation foam chambers glassed. Used light stuff, 4 oz, except for one area where the side plywood seam fell almost, but not quite, on the bulkhead. It had a little gap inside where the glue partly ran out of the joint. I injected some epoxy into that with a syringe and put a little piece of 1" wide woven tape on that. Seemed like it could be a weak spot so I reinforced a little. Easy fix now, hard one later. You can see this on the right side of the top pic.

I've been using syringes to mix small batches of epoxy for small areas like this (both of these ends together used approx. 50cc of mixed epoxy). It works really well, and by using smaller syringes you can mix real tiny batches accurately. I have been using 60cc units for small batches and 3cc for tiny batches.

http://www.sciplus.com/p/60CC-THUMB-GRIP-SYRINGE_49257
and
http://www.sciplus.com/p/3ML-LUER-LOCK- ... INGE_49427

On the little ones, I use a utility knife to trim off the lock mechanism and leave just the center tip, that way I can wipe the exterior off to avoid extra drips that could throw off the mix on such a small batch. These also work great for injecting mixed resin into voids (like if a corner fillet pulls away from the putty a little, instead of sanding it all off and doing over, just drill a little hole and fill it in.
Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I've used syringes before to get in small spots but :doh: I never thought of mixing small batches that way. Brilliant!
Tony

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

My wife and kids went up north to visit my Mom for a few days, so I got some boat building done.

Radiused the bottom to side joints with the sander so they would fiberglass better.

Laid out the glass. Used 4 or 6 oz cloth, in 3 sections across the beam. This was both to save material and to allow me some space to work out wrinkles, I seem to have problems doing that when I have one giant piece of cloth. The seams overlap about3" so it shouldn't reduce the strength.

Wet out the cloth. It sure uses a lot less epoxy than 12oz biax.

Added 3" tape at the chines / bow/ stern. This is outside the cloth rather than inside because I think it's going to end up being kind of sacrificial and I'd prefer to have that wear out and get repaired while leaving the wide cloth covering intact. It will take a bit more fairing than putting it under the wide cloth. It was all done wet on wet.

After setting up overnight, the epoxy was still a little green. I carried it outdoors and put it in the sun for quicker curing. That extra 20 degrees of ambient temperature and sitting in the sun really speeds things along.

And then back downstairs at the end of the day. Trimmed off most of the excess cloth. I'll have to sand some of it to clean up the edges along the gunwhale trim.

Next up, wrap the gunwhale trim and top decks. Add bottom runners for tracking and to stiffen up the sole a little more. Graphite the bottom. Roughly fair and paint. Add a center thwart. Go paddling.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

My wife and kids went up north to visit my Mom for a few days,
What in heck is north of Wisconsin ? :lol: :lol:

The canoe is looking great! I've been wanting to start building a fishing yak and had about decided on a PY12, but the more I see of this canoe, the better I like it. Decisions, decisions, so many cool boats to build, so little time...
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

North of Wisconsin is pretty much just glaciers, polar bears and Canada. If you drive all the way through Wisconsin to the tip of Upper Michigan (seven hours north from me), you get lake effect snow from lake Michigan and Lake Superior- which usually results in over 200" of snow each winter. No freakin' way.......

Actually I live in the far southeastern corner of the state (about an hour north of Chicago) and Mom lives up in the "middle" of the state, about 3 hours away. I like it better up there, but the job market's not very strong.

Thanks for the feedback. A friend of mine just launched a similar kayak made from a CC14 last week. Made it for his son as a birthday present. Mark checks the forum at times but doesn't have a build thread.

He said it's a capable little boat, and easy to paddle, actually tracks better with 2 adults on board (although not real heavy ones)

I like how the slotted inner gunwale looks. And it's a handy place to tie off gear. Might do that myself.