Duo - Tryst Plans & Kits

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
Tom31709
New Poster
New Poster

Duo - Tryst Plans & Kits

Post by Tom31709 »

I realize you are adding Woods Designs plans as they may be requested. Can I buy plans for the Tryst through Batteau.com or do I need to order them through Richard Woods' Sailing Catamarans web site?

Can the rear buoyancy chambers be built as air tight storage compartments for items like rain slickers, water bottles, lunch, etc.?

I am interested in the probable costs of a CNC kit, an Epoxy-Fiberglass kit, and a sail kit to build a Tryst.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Duo - Tryst Plans & Kits

Post by jacquesmm »

I will list it today.
Richard asked me to sell that plan and yes, I can plan a kit.

Give me a few hours to calculate cost for the CNC and epoxy glass. Richard built the prototype with our MarinEpoxy.
For the sail, we'll have to send it to the sail maker but it will be similar to other small boat sails of the same size.

I see no problem to use the buoyancy boxes as storage as long as they are really airtight.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Here we go:
The plans cost the same price, download format, US $ 55.00
The epoxy fiberglass kit is our typical small boat kit, $ 150.00 shipping included (US).
The plywood BOM shows 3 sheets of 4 mm and 1 sheet 6 mm but the nesting is so tight that I can't cut it from 3 sheets. We need 4 sheets of 4 mm.
Cost of plywood uncut is $ 312.00.
Kit cut = $ 515.00
Each plus shipping which I estimate to be around $ 150.00.

Sail is up to the sailmaker.

I will post the plans and kit at bateau.com on Monday.

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woods Designs »

Sorry not to have replied sooner, we were motoring our Skoota 28 powercat from the USA to Canada. We are living on board in a marina with no electric/water/wifi or even cell phone signal. I write this from the library which is only open 2 days a week, so I am afraid internet use will only be occasional for the next two weeks

I was very pleased to hear of your interest in the Tryst and Duo. Yes it makes sense to buy from Jacques as he can supply the kit for you as well for either boat. As you know, the Duo dinghy forms the main hull for the Tryst trimaran, so you do get two boats in one. As he says, the pieces are laid out very tightly on a sheet so he will need to use extra ply. However, the excess can be used for rudder/daggerboard and wings. Both Tryst outriggers come from one sheet of plywood (3 or 4mm)

We are now using the Duo we built in the two day Edensaw Boatbuilding Challenge last September. I still need to paint it, but before I do I will be adding a hatch to make the aft locker a storage compartment, just as you have suggested. The cover will need to be well tied down, as, of course, it will also still need to be a buoyancy tank in case of swamping.

The mainsail I used came from a Walker Bay 10 (racing rig). A Tryst now sailing in the Philippines has a Hyde Sails lugsail which the owner is happy with.

I really enjoyed sailing my Tryst in the US and Mexico last winter. It travelled 12,000 miles in the back of our Toyota 6ft bed pickup truck (we have the nesting version, the outriggers fitted in diagonally). Jacques saw it in Port Aransas Tx

Dozens are now building/sailing worldwide

I hope that helps

Richard Woods

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Richard. I knew you were sailing and took the liberty to reply about the boat specs.
I remember the Duo/Tryst and can confirm it is very compact.
Which other trimaran can you put in the trunk of a medium size SUV and assemble on the beach in a few minutes?