FS14 -2 week (+11 month build).... Done and spashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14 -2 week (+11 month build).... Done and spashed

Post by Jeff »

deuce_454, your boat looks nice!! Boats always look better once they are in the water. Nice build!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Deuce your boat looks great. Copenhagen is a beautiful city visited it when I was in our Navy in the late 1977's. Enjoy your FS14. :)
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

thank you for the kind words :-) the boat is really a joy to handle.. much smoother ride than the FS14 it replaced. The engine threw a rod out thru the crankcase a week ago so ill be installing a new 20 horse tohatsu (the tohatsu 20 and mercury 20 is the same engine) next week, once I've figured out how to prop it ill post a video of it sailing and what performance i got ... but somewhere in the 30 mph range (it got 27 mph with the 18 hp and a prop that was under pitched ... probably how i broke a rod :cry: )

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

Jeff wrote:deuce_454, your boat looks nice!! Boats always look better once they are in the water. Nice build!! Jeff
unfortunately i didn't run chase tubes so the cables all run in that bundle you see next to the railing... the cables dont bend very easily.. minimum radius seems to be 30cm...

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Deuce, as I recall the Tohatsu 20 comes with a standard prop. If not I'd be glad to help you prop your boat and motor. I'll need a few numbers from you to do so if you want my help. Let me know. If you do it yourself please make sure you have a tachometer. Without one it is impossible to make sure your engine is running in the proper rev range. If you over rev you can throw a rod, if you under rev and lug the engine you are making it work to hard and causing excess wear reducing its life span.

Take care, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

im picking the motor up today, and have bought a tach for that very reason... (not wanting to throw another rod :cry: ) the std prop is 10 inch pitch and im thinking ill need one in the 13-14 inch range

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Okay, I'd go ahead and try the 10 pitch before buying another prop. The study plans list displacement at 585 lbs. I used this plus the Tohatsu numbers of 6100 rpms max and 2.15 gear ratio plus a few other numbers to come up with a prop pitch to start pitch for you if it is much different than the 10 pitch.

The numbers came out with the 10 pitch working well. Speed varied based on load but got a high of 36 mph with the 585 load and a low of 28 with 950 lbs. You want to be running close to 6100 rpms say 5800 and up.

I would get the tach on and working properly and then take her out with a normal load, 1 or 2 passengers, fishing gear, cooler, etc, however you normally use her. That will be the real test.

Let us know how it goes.

Tom