OB17 vs FS17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OB17 vs FS17

Post by byboatbuilder »

Getting ready to purchase plans and would appreciate input from the forum as to which would be my better center console choice (OB17 or FS17). I am a retired building contractor with a wife and dog and need a stable boat that would be mainly be used on our NC inland lakes, coastal sounds and inter coastal waterway.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OB17 vs FS17

Post by jacquesmm »

The FS17 is a smaller boat: small water plane that means shorter waterline, narrower beam at WL BUT it is a very seaworthy boat. The design is based on a classic hull from NC, the Simmons Sea Skiff.
For comfort, I would pic the OB17, for fishing offshore, I would build the FS17 but each one will do everything well.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

I purchased the FS 17 plan and am well along with my first boat building project, so far it has been enjoyable and I have progressed to the stitch and glue stage which will begin tomorrow. I purchased the Silver Tip kit and am learning to deal with this sticky product and have read some of the basic tutorials that are available. With the major fiberglass and epoxy application ahead I would appreciate any helpful hints from those of you who have a lot of practical knowledge in dealing with these products.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Start with something simple like spot welds along the seams then apply the tape.
Read our tutorials in particular the Stitch and Glue 101 and if you have questions, post here.
It is not complicated: painting is more difficult than to apply epoxy resin.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Thanks very much, I have read SG 101 and will proceed as outlined. Getting ready to stitch this AM.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Finished stitching FS 17 this morning and was most impressed with the plan accuracy. When I received the plans I spent $10 on a drywall T square and used it for all the measurements. Also, built a strong back frame with casters which has made it easy to roll in and out of my garage during the building process which has been fun. Everything fit together perfectly.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Note picture of FS 17 Completed Stitching.

[img]C:\Users\By\Pictures\FS%2017\FS%2017%20build%201.JPG[/img]

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

Five years with my FS17 have proven the quality of the design to me. A 40 mile open water (round) trip last weekend from CT shore to Montauk, NY really validated how capable the boat is. Safe and stable ride across 1-3 ft waves and confused chop at speeds averaging mid to high teen mph. Boat fishes with plenty of room for 3 adults. And 30 mph top speed on 40 hp. Very little that I would change. Build it right and you'll have an excellent small vessel IMO.

Bill

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Bill, I love to read that kind of report.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Having difficulty in posting pic. but was able to include it in the gallery for those who may be interested. I am delighted to have the seaworthiness of this boat confirmed, thanks for you comments.