OB17 vs FS17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OB17 vs FS17

Post by pee wee »

[quote="byboatbuilder"]Note picture of FS 17 Completed Stitching.

Those panels sure fit well!

your first attempt you used the location of the photo on your computer, not in the gallery. Use the preview button to check if you have it right, that will save you some effort.
Hank

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Perfect stitching job. Nice 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Thanks for the picture posting help and your kind comments.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Build is going great! For planning purposes I need some advice regarding the location and size of chase tubes for a teleflex steering system, engine controls and,of course, electrical. Will build a center console and am considering locating the gas tank under the console or seat area and would appreciate any thoughts as to the size and location of the tank for a 40hp 4s. The gas line will have its own chase.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

byboatbuilder wrote:Build is going great! For planning purposes I need some advice regarding the location and size of chase tubes for a teleflex steering system, engine controls and,of course, electrical.
Same for all boats: 2" or more OD, min. 24" radius for the turns, holes in framing close to the top, not the bottom, fuel in separate chase tube.

Will build a center console and am considering locating the gas tank under the console or seat area and would appreciate any thoughts as to the size and location of the tank for a 40hp 4s. The gas line will have its own chase.
Under console and size is up to you. I would say 25 gallons, max. 40.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Thanks Jacques for you usual prompt response..

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Since I will be painting the hull shortly, what are your supplier recommendations for superior quality paint and primer?

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

40 hp at full throttle will burn about 4gph. That would produce a speed of about 30mph or a bit more. 75% power would be about 22-24 mph at about 3 gph and much more comfortable if there's any chop.I'd decide how much range I need and go from there. We got a 9 gal. above deck tank for our FS17 new at a very low price, like 30 bucks. It's mounted under the console/seat. This runs our older 40 2 stroke for 3-4 hours of fishing at mixed speed between trolling and covering distance. Max range is about 40 miles in our case. I'd think 15-20 gal. would be plenty in most cases. Take a look at the 18 gal. Moeller for instance. I do like the small tank because it's easy to get all the fuel out at the end of season and not have funky gas issues the following spring.

I routed the Teleflex steering cable from the CC area up to the enclosed starboard gunwale, then back inside it to the transom. This has worked out fine and is easy to push the cable through. Cracker Larry's OD18 picture is worth a look. Think he reposted it about 10 days ago. Just copy (more or less ) and you'll probably be happy.

Bill
CT

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Thanks Bill for your continued interest and practical advise that is most helpful in my planning process. My wife and I are going to Beaufort, NC this weekend and plan to look at a number of boat color combinations since this area is the wooden boat building hub of or state.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Since I will be painting the hull shortly, what are your supplier recommendations for superior quality paint and primer?
Right here is a good place to get it. The System 3 high build yacht primer is hard to beat, as are the EMC topcoat paints. I do not recommend S3 for topcoats. They make a great primer, but the paints not so good.

I put a 40 gallon tank in my OD18 and with a 70hp 2 stroke Yamaha I can run for 2 full days easy. Range is about 300 miles.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose