OB17 vs FS17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB17 vs FS17

Post by byboatbuilder »

Thanks so much for your expert advice regarding the System 3 primer.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Larry, System Three came out with a new topcoat and you would be surprised: easier to apply and much higher gloss than the previous one.
We'll post about it when it goes in production. It will be less than half price of a solvent based LPU like EMC, easier to use, very hard and looks good.
I am going to promote that paint.

PS: I agree about the old formulation.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Larry, System Three came out with a new topcoat and you would be surprised:
They sure did need too. The original sucked!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Almost finished fairing with Quick Fair and have been pleased with the product. Sanding has gone well and everything looks good. I need some advice as to whether I need to add another coat of epoxy to seal the faring prior to priming. I have ordered and plan to use the System 3 primer.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Finished fairing and plan to apply System 3 primer next week. Have not received a response to my previous post as to whether I need to seal the Quick Fair with epoxy prior to priming.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No need to seal it just sand with 120 and apply the System 3. As I recall it is an epoxy based primer.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

That is correct, it's an epoxy based primer. No need for an additional seal coat.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Just wanted to be certain before proceeding with the primer. Again, thanks so much for your advice.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Finally I reached the flipping milestone stage of my FS 17 build. Since my retired friends can only lift around 20lbs on a good day I decided to purchased a chain hoist on line and a couple of cheap block and tackle pulleys from Harbor Freight and make this a one person flip. With the pulleys and hoist attached to my garage joists and my wife's help, what could have been a little stressful, turned out to be a piece of cake. Please note pics which show how this was done.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Getting ready to start building my center console and need some advice regarding the best location for my batteries. Have a little more glassing and the interior will almost be complete. I plan to post some picks shortly . My gas tank is located just forward of the console under a casting platform I have included in the build and my concern is weight distribution. I will be installing a new 30 hp Suziki with a weight of approx. 160 lbs. My plan is to have a starting battery in addition to one for a 12 v trolling motor. I have storage available in a transom compartment for one battery (starting) and room in the console for both or just one. My other transom compartment looks as if it will be consumed with cables, wiring etc. Any suggestions will certainly be appreciated.