OB17 vs FS17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OB17 vs FS17

Post by jacquesmm »

I"ll do it later today.

You have to go to the pictiures and right click on the full size image, not the thumbnail.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

She is definitely a beauty! The compliments I like the best is when the man pulls me over and instead of hassling me about safety gear and what not, he's talking about the boat. Or when the captain of the stone crab boat is fixated on her, while his crew is overloading my cooler with fresh claws...way beyond the Benjamin we handed over. One of my best comments to come out of my mouth..."I made it. Started with a set of plans in a manilla envelope."

The mahogany is a wonderful personal touch. Hoping to put some on the rails of my SC16 I'm building. Congrats!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

to fix pictures like that all you have to do is remove the "thumb_" part, like this:

gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/89200/thumb_IMG_0989.JPG
becomes:
gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/89200/IMG_0989.JPG

and it will give you the full size image

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Thanks very much for what you guys have done and what you continue to do in making this forum so successful.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Byboatbuilder, the boat looks great!!! Really nice wood work!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

A beautiful boat, another example of what the builders can do from a set of paper plans from Jacques.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Great looking boat! I bet you are loving it.
When you get the time please post some performance numbers. I think I did read where you put a 30HP on her?

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Your boat is beautiful and completed in 1 year. Wow!
Completed D15, Completed PH18

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

After taking the boat out several time to break in the engine I would like to share some of the concerns with the numbers I am experiencing. As suggested by Jacques I installed a 30hp which I purchased new from a Suzuki dealer and, after break in, at WOT my max RPM's are 3400 and boat speed is 25MPH with two adults and a small dog on board.. The boat performs excellent at that speed. I contacted the dealer regarding the low RPM's and their tech made two suggestions: Raise the engine 1" and drop the prop pitch down ,he also asked if my guage was reading correct. The outboard cavitation plate is currently dead level with the keel as recommended for installation and I am not inclined to drill anther hole in the transom and move it up. The prop that came with the engine is 10.5 X 12". I asked the tech if I needed to adjust the throttle cable and he said I didn't need to mess with the "black box". I have a binnacle control box on my center console and as I move the the throttle the last inch or so forward there is not a corresponding increase in engine speed or RPM as one would expect.

Help... before I proceed I would appreciate any advice that those of you who have experience with dealing with these issues can provide.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Some is not right! 3400 rpm out of a 30HP and you are going 25 mph? I would think it would take more than that just to get it out of the hole :doh: My first thought is there has to be something wrong with the tach. It is set for a 6 cylinder and you have 3? Just guessing here, I hope a pro will jump in and help.