Eric's C21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Eric's C21

Post by Dougster »

Definitely build it for you. I think when it goes right children leave their parents forever, then come back as adults with their own lives and interests. There may well be some intersection then, for sure. For now you can show by example how to chase their own dream.
Oh, and lord that boat looks big!

Dougster

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I think you guys are right about the build. I guess I'm going to build a center console since I primarily intend to fish.
It was a little warmer in the shop at 68 degrees. I could feel the difference in the epoxy during layup too.
I touched up the corners and fillets, then I laid my glass. It went down with ease.
Thank you everyone for the kind remarks. I have had a lot on my mind as of late and I apologize for the late thank you.

First frame is glassed.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

As always Eric, very nice work!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Thanks Jeff!

I just finished a side on the next frame down. Same process, touch up and fillet with eze fillet, then get glass in place.

This wet on wet process really helps hold the glass to the fillets. I wish I'd been able to do more of the build in this manner.
I left the work light to try and get a better picture. I'm not sure it's much better.

I had a good bit of epoxy from the second batch so I used it to start sealing the plywood.

We're closing the shop after today so people can cook and have Thanksgiving with their families.
I'll be back on this Friday morning, Lord willing. I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
Use the day to love each other and reflect for the many blessing you have!! :D

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Looking good Eric :!:
I was thinking you were done with glassing the frames but I see there is still some more to go. Your work is so clean I had to look very close to be sure. I hope you have a good time with family and friends.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:03 pm Looking good Eric :!:
I was thinking you were done with glassing the frames but I see there is still some more to go. Your work is so clean I had to look very close to be sure. I hope you have a good time with family and friends.
Thank You Fuzz. I've still have miles to go before I sleep. :wink:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Eric1 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:58 pm
This wet on wet process really helps hold the glass to the fillets. I wish I'd been able to do more of the build in this manner.
YUP!

Much better when possible. I won't fillet without time to wet tapes anymore.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I really regretted the one set of frame fillets I let cure before glassing. The sanding is miserable on top if the glass being harder to apply. I also only do wet on wet now. At first I was a little worried because the container of EZ fillet said you had to sand before putting anything on top without a mention of that only being after it cures. I was doing it anyway but later found the TDS clarifies that wet on wet is no problem as expected, and mentions working the fillet through the glass for smoothness which I definitely do. You can be a lot less careful applying the fillet when you do it this way too.
The putty “bodies” up when mixed to form a non-sagging putty that can be applied by spatula, caulking tube or by
using a plastic bag in cake decorating style. EZ Fillet cures overnight to an exceptionally strong fillet, which may be
sanded for subsequent fiberglass tape application. Alternatively, the tape can be applied after EZ Fillet starts to get
stiff. Use SilverTip laminating resin for this purpose and work EZ Fillet under the wet tape for a smooth, bubble-free
composite. A further way to achieve a smooth fillet is to let EZ Fillet get fairly stiff and then smooth with a rag soaked
in paint thinner. Sand lightly after curing before applying tape. Lightly stir both parts of EZ Fillet before using to mix
in any separated liquid.
- https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1000/ ... 2554198805

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Eric have a safe few days and hope to see you back at it Friday.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Eric have a nice Thanksgiving with your family on Thursday. It will be different without your Dad and maybe a little sad but be glad that he is in a better place and looking down on all of you and celebrating with all of the good times you have had in the past. Your bud.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978