Gheenoe Highsider Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Gheenoe Highsider Rebuild

Post by tcason »

How do you "flare" the PVC rod holders ends?

That looks really good!

swglenn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swglenn »

I used a heat gun and a wine bottle. While soft I pushed the PVC onto the neck of the wine bottle to get it flared. Then turned it down and pushed it onto the concrete floor to flatten the flare to what I wanted.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Yep, heat gun and a beer bottle. I used the thin wall 1 1/2" pvc. I did not do the floor thing like swglenn.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Great job with the rebuild. That boat is going to be tank when finnished and i mean that in a good way.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I hit some small licks on the noe this week. I poured some foam in the rear (slightly miscalculated on the port side :oops: ), worked on the center box and glued up some rod holders and side braces. The flat braces will have a couple of rod holders mounted on them and the cavity will be foamed.

Gary
GF-16 Completed

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

Noles309 wrote:I hit some small licks on the noe this week. I poured some foam in the rear (slightly miscalculated on the port side :oops: )
Carefully saw it off and do a little fairing. Cut a sound-hole in the other side and add 6 strings. Paint it black and Presto! You have an Ovation guitar :lol:

Seriously, that 'noe is looking good. It'll be a great Christmas present :!:

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Haha. Good one on the guitar. :D Thanks.

Trimmed up the foam and hit a couple of more spots. Its a challenge to find places for flotation in this rig with no seats...

Gary
GF-16 Completed

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Iv'e been making some headway. I finally got the tacky fairing compound removed. I have the center box glued, glassed in and coated in gray tinted epoxy inside. The hoop of the grab bar is done. Wire is run to the bow. The battery is mounted in the bow and the nose cap is glued down.
I also picked up a 2006 Merc 9.9 four stroke that looks brand new under the cowl. It looks like it was stored in a shed and drug around though. It cleaned up pretty decent, I was on the fence about painting it, but I'm ready to be done...The decals were trashed so I had some made in the Gheenoe font. The colors are going to be Dead Grass Green and Tan so I had the Decals done to match. That about covers it I think.

Gary
GF-16 Completed

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

That looks awesome, much better than new. I drive by the Gheenoe factory when I go fishing in ML and I always wondered what the facility must look like inside. I've see a few of them up close and wasn't blown away with the workmanship. That 9.9 should get you to the fishing spots quick.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Thanks! Yeah, they are cheap boats, there is nothing square, level or plumb about it. They do have almost a cult following though.
I'm wishing I would have just built an SC16. It would have been a much better boat. I was sucked in by the next to nothing price I got it for though... :oops:
Gary
GF-16 Completed