Page 1 of 1

S3 WR-LPU

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:40 am
by blueflood
Hi all,

I am gathering feedback on S3 WR-LPU Topcoat paint. At this point I have narrowed my paint choice to only this type because of its cost, low VOC, water clean-up, colour choice (light grey). I will most likely use my compact HVLP with a Fuji turbine. Has anyone gone this route ? What are the pitfalls and things to watch for, cautions etc based on your experience ?

Marc

Re: S3 WR-LPU

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:21 am
by jacquesmm
We have done it and despite the fact that we are distributors for that paint, I can not recommend it for HVLP application.
It works well with a brush or roll and tip.

System Three is coming out, probably this month, with a new formulation of that paint. We tested it and it is far superior to the current formulation.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:35 am
by blueflood
Excellent news Jacques. Will keep an eye out for that.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:53 am
by Cracker Larry
I am gathering feedback on S3 WR-LPU Topcoat paint.
Don't do it until the new stuff comes out. The old stuff sucks. Wish I had never put it on my boat.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:23 pm
by bigtalljv
I've only done one boat with Sterling, roll and tip, and a couple wood exterior house doors with EMC but why are you stuck on S3? New formula aside the feedback on here has never been terribly fond of the S3 topcoats. I really liked the EMC better than the Sterling in my very limited experience. The difference in cost can't be that high can it?

Jason

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:15 pm
by jacquesmm
EMC is great paint but it is almost 3 times the cost.
Plus, the new S3 paint has more gloss than the old formulation. It is easier to use than the EMC and no toxic solvents.
I like each of those paints.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:54 pm
by bigtalljv
gotcha, I guess I could have looked, 3X could be a lot. :oops:

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:52 pm
by Noles309
So, whens it going up for sale? I have a Gheenoe to paint... 8)

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:53 pm
by Cracker Larry
It might cost 3 times more, but if it lasts 8 X longer it is well worth it to me. The labor involved in pulling off all the hardware and instruments, then prepping everything again and repainting is worth far more than the difference in initial paint cost to me. What is a months labor to refinish it worth to you? My OD18 is 8 years old. The outside was done with Sterling and it still looks like a new car. Yeah, it cost $400 a gallon. The inside is all S3 and it's looked like crap from year 2. It cost $100 a gallon. I'll never use it again. Better off with Rustoleum marine paint for $14 a quart. Tough stuff and looks as good. Probably last longer too. Ask me how I really feel about S3 paints.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:13 am
by Noles309
Cracker Larry wrote: Better off with Rustoleum marine paint for $14 a quart. Tough stuff and looks as good. Probably last longer too. Ask me how I really feel about S3 paints.
So tell me about this paint. Iv'e seen it but never really considered it because its so cheap. This is for my sons Gheenoe project so I'm not looking to spend real money on it for paint. I have some satin black urethane automotive paint and epoxy primer that I was going to use that I have left over from another project. Not real crazy about black for a boat but...

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:32 am
by Larry B
If you do go with the S3 be sure to give it some tooth to adhere to, I didn't and this was the first power wash :help:

They used to sell it here, but Blue Water Mega Gloss paint is real cheap (just a bit over $50.00 a gallon) and I used it on my pontoon boat and its holding up great :D EDIT: I did spray this on.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:50 am
by jacquesmm
The new S3 paint is very different. We sprayed it and rolled it and the results were excellent.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:11 am
by Cracker Larry
The new S3 paint is very different. We sprayed it and rolled it and the results were excellent.
Tell us how it looks in 8 years and I might try it again. Mine looked real good when I applied it too.
So tell me about this paint. Iv'e seen it but never really considered it because its so cheap. This is for my sons Gheenoe project so I'm not looking to spend real money on it for paint.
I really have no experience with how it would hold up over the long term, but Rustoleum makes real good products that usually work. My son and I have been using it on our little boats projects and it seems to be very tough, looks pretty good for the price and is about idiot proof to apply. Don't need to mix anything. It looks a lot better than the picture, light was bad..

Another good middle of the road priced paint is Petit Easypoxy. I've used many gallons of it on repair projects. Very good one part paint for not a lot of money.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:19 am
by terrulian
I kind of wish I had experimented with both Easypoxy and Rustoleum before settling on Interlux Brightside, applied, after much experimentation, with a roller. I found it a struggle to get decent results, although the exterior looked reasonably acceptable in the end.

However, I think the odds are pretty good I would have had a hard time with paint no matter what product I used.
Like Larry said at one point, to get a really professional look, besides quality paint you need a booth and a master at spraying.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:55 am
by Noles309
Thanks Larry, i might give it a shot on the interior for sure. I've had good luck with Rustoleum products over the years as well. I'm undecided about the exterior.

Tony, Your boat looks awesome 8)

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:22 pm
by jacquesmm
Tony, that paint job looks good.
How did you do that rubrail?

Larry, I can't tell you how the new S3 paint will look in 8 years, we have to be patient. :) but I have an FS12 at my dock that is 7 years old and the inside is painted with the old S3 paint: no peeling.
We applied it with a roller and it worked but we had problems each time we sprayed the old S3 paint.

Anyway, no contest that the EMC is a much better paint.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:39 am
by blueflood
Thanks for the feedback; it was what I was looking for :lol: hmmm I think I will wait on the paint until I actually get there.

Understand that living in Canada makes things somewhat problematic for us. Product bilingual labeling for one is always an issue it seems or companies simply do not ship here. Even Pettit, I can get some types and none of another. Go figure. I was leaning towards WR LPU because of availability mostly and being water based. Jacques had mentioned EMC paints cannot be shipped here. Never heard of Sterling. So choices are; Interlux, Pettit, Epiphane and maybe a few other suspect products.

...don't hold back Larry...tell me what you really think :lol: :lol:

Marc

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:03 pm
by Cracker Larry
...don't hold back Larry...tell me what you really think :lol: :lol:
I wouldn't put S3 on another boat if they were giving it away. That's what I really think of it. Out of your choices, Petit and Interlux both are good paints for the money. I've never used Epiphane. Sterling has become almost impossible to get. The EMC is excellent if you can get it.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:33 pm
by jacquesmm
BoatBuilderCentral sells EMC:
http://boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?cat=68

We only keep the most common colors in stock because those paints have a limited shelf life.
Order when you are ready to paint and expect about one week for delivery.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:23 pm
by jacquesmm
Cracker Larry wrote:
I wouldn't put S3 on another boat if they were giving it away. That's what I really think of it.
I will reserve some of the old S3 topcoat for you as a Xmas present . . . :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:25 pm
by Cracker Larry
Save it and paint your house :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:44 pm
by blueflood
:lol: :lol: well that didn't help 8O :lol: I am still not totally convinced Larry hates the paint :P Pettit Easypoxy was my original choice, failing water based. Thank you all for your usual straightforward informative replies and humour.

Marc

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:05 am
by Fuzz
I see that Pettit has both a one part and a two part EasyPoxy does anyone know what the difference is?
Fuzz

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:58 am
by jacquesmm
The one part is not a real epoxy.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 am
by Cracker Larry
All of the Easypoxy I have used has been a 1 part paint. It's not an epoxy. Works good though.