S3 WR-LPU

technical support and information on EMC topcoats and coatings
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

S3 WR-LPU

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

I am gathering feedback on S3 WR-LPU Topcoat paint. At this point I have narrowed my paint choice to only this type because of its cost, low VOC, water clean-up, colour choice (light grey). I will most likely use my compact HVLP with a Fuji turbine. Has anyone gone this route ? What are the pitfalls and things to watch for, cautions etc based on your experience ?

Marc

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: S3 WR-LPU

Post by jacquesmm »

We have done it and despite the fact that we are distributors for that paint, I can not recommend it for HVLP application.
It works well with a brush or roll and tip.

System Three is coming out, probably this month, with a new formulation of that paint. We tested it and it is far superior to the current formulation.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Excellent news Jacques. Will keep an eye out for that.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I am gathering feedback on S3 WR-LPU Topcoat paint.
Don't do it until the new stuff comes out. The old stuff sucks. Wish I had never put it on my boat.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

I've only done one boat with Sterling, roll and tip, and a couple wood exterior house doors with EMC but why are you stuck on S3? New formula aside the feedback on here has never been terribly fond of the S3 topcoats. I really liked the EMC better than the Sterling in my very limited experience. The difference in cost can't be that high can it?

Jason

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

EMC is great paint but it is almost 3 times the cost.
Plus, the new S3 paint has more gloss than the old formulation. It is easier to use than the EMC and no toxic solvents.
I like each of those paints.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

gotcha, I guess I could have looked, 3X could be a lot. :oops:

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

So, whens it going up for sale? I have a Gheenoe to paint... 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

It might cost 3 times more, but if it lasts 8 X longer it is well worth it to me. The labor involved in pulling off all the hardware and instruments, then prepping everything again and repainting is worth far more than the difference in initial paint cost to me. What is a months labor to refinish it worth to you? My OD18 is 8 years old. The outside was done with Sterling and it still looks like a new car. Yeah, it cost $400 a gallon. The inside is all S3 and it's looked like crap from year 2. It cost $100 a gallon. I'll never use it again. Better off with Rustoleum marine paint for $14 a quart. Tough stuff and looks as good. Probably last longer too. Ask me how I really feel about S3 paints.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Cracker Larry wrote: Better off with Rustoleum marine paint for $14 a quart. Tough stuff and looks as good. Probably last longer too. Ask me how I really feel about S3 paints.
So tell me about this paint. Iv'e seen it but never really considered it because its so cheap. This is for my sons Gheenoe project so I'm not looking to spend real money on it for paint. I have some satin black urethane automotive paint and epoxy primer that I was going to use that I have left over from another project. Not real crazy about black for a boat but...
Gary
GF-16 Completed